ADVERTISEMENT

Opinions on substitution.....

fireball10

Oct 27, 2001
I've seen this more times than I can count. Team A scores at will, running clock in the second half, Team A pulls starters early in the 3rd quarter, Team B continues to play starters for much, if not the entirety of the the game. Its a two-fold issue in my opinion. Number 1-If Team A is going to show mercy and pull the starters and league rules stipulate the use of the running clock to stop the bleeding, isn't it kind of classless for the other side not to follow suit? Number 2-if im Team A I have to be a little concerned from a safety stand point when i throw freshman out there against fully developed varsity players. Am i alone in these thoughts? Share your opinions here....

Normally I would agree with Team B starting to pull starters after Team A has called off the dogs. But in this case I believe Team A wanted their JV to get some playing time against Team B's #1s. For this particular Team A, sometimes the Team Bs are hoping to score points of any kind to build a little confidence moving forward into the rest of their schedule. Maybe it is a different story once the Freshmen are in for Team A. Go Team A!!

I agree with OldG, if A team is up by 42 points (running clock) I would say their JV players will be playing more to the caliber of team B's starters. I would not pull my Team B starters as they need the game time with live runs to learn. If they pull them, then you just end up with a JV game which will most likely be played the following Monday. Pulling starters from team B should only happen at the end to give them the opportunity to play in a varsity game.

Really, if the #1 vs #1 is 42 point difference, do you think the #2's would be more equal? and the JV from team A plays daily against the #1s so this will be easier for them per say, and really, this is 1A, there are several freshmen on the starting rosters.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m from the wrong side of the tracks, but I’ve never, in my time, seen too many freshman start at the varsity level. Especially football. And when I say that I’m referring to the three men’s major sports (football, basketball, baseball)

I think that the running clock is enough. I think the judgement of the coaches of Team A is that their kids are going to be fine against Team B's kids. I've seen in many cases a fresh JV heavy group be competitive against starters and even score on some teams. I think most coaches understand when resting their guys is the appropriate thing to do and start to rotate even when down by a significant margin.

If team A is up by 40, then team A’s number 2 squad is probably adequate to play team B number 1 squad. I’d be curious to see scores of Monday’s JV game after varsity’s meet and have a 40 point spread. JV from team A will most likely be as good as varsity team B.

ADVERTISEMENT