ADVERTISEMENT

Pitching distance

coastal39

Jul 29, 2001
In the softball preview of the Oregonian there was a long article that stated that Oregon is the second state to adopt a 43 foot pitching distance. This is a three year state-wide experiment. To find the article go to www/oregonlive.com .Type in "softball 43" in the search box . Most coaches surveyed favor the change. Some coaches with pitchers that struggle to throw it 40 feet are apprehensive. Are there overtures in Washington to follow this?
This post was edited on 3/24 11:37 AM by coastal39

Yeah, I wouldn't think it will be a huge issue as pitchers will normally work out up to 50-60ft. 3 ft will not make a huge difference. Pitchers will probably throw more breaking balls. 3 feet does make a huge difference on breaking balls. Should be for an interesting year. Fast ball pitchers will still dominate, but those that don't throw as hard may be able to keep the game close if they have a good curve, drop or change.

I think you are right. I started my daughter at 43 last year and it really does help her breaking stuff. I think the girls who struggle throwing strikes at 40 will really struggle now and if you just throw hard it will give the hitters a little more time to catch up but overall the pitchers will still dominate it is just the nature of the game.

ADVERTISEMENT