ADVERTISEMENT

Prairie hire to replace Aldridge

I have known for years that when Aldridge left Prairie, it would obviously be the end of his era and the end of Prairie's success. No matter who they hired, it would be a tough job to keep it going. Very few coaches devoted the time Al did to the falcons. This hire has all the makings of a train wreck. The party is over.............Skyview can be the next Prairie provided their coach stays.
This post was edited on 5/8 7:44 AM by statewide

No question about it . Buscher will be at Skyview for two more years for sure with the strong sophomore class. When family members are hired it begs the question of just how thorough the search for a replacement really was. There appears to be movement on the roster at Prairie as well. One of the best is transferring out and there is a challenge moving in.
Train wreck is spot on!

I feel for those Senior girls at Prairie. This just caught them completely off guard and I am sure left them thinking what the future holds. I am sure a few are thinking that it might be better to play somewhere else. There is no doubt that one of the main reasons Prairie has been so good for so long is that they have had stability at the coaching position all these years. Since this school opened, it has been Aldridge. Had to end sometime and he goes out a winner so for him I guess it made sense.

I am baffled. You would think, with Prairie's reputation throughout the state and even beyond, it wouldn't be very hard to attract some big-named coaches... Smith? I remember this guy at David Wood basketball camps locally, he was a mess!

Maybe only the clueless wanted to follow Aldridge and Smith fits the bill completely. It is the end of a long run for Prairie. Like you, hard to understand this hire and if you are a player, a decision that might drive you away................to Camas, Skyview etc.

The opinions seem to be consistent.
It would be interesting to know where the Prairie AD received the positive feed back from other than from a brother-in law. Typically an thorough justification would be required by an organization for such a hire with close family connections to those involed in the process. it must not work that way in the public school system. This does not reflect well on the AD. Just a word of advice: Never, Ever hire family. It will always come back to haunt you. Time will tell.
Check the link regarding the new coach:
http://www.ratemyteachers.com/michael-smith/1542374-t
This post was edited on 5/15 11:53 AM by wasports

Recently, Auburn Riverside replaced their coach of the last three years with a new one. Their new coach is Tim Nelson who did a very good job at Enumclaw and I believe he also won a state title at Federal Way. The contrast is amazing, Auburn Riverside gets a great coach with a great track record. Prairie gets a "body" with a negative body of work.
This post was edited on 5/27 9:13 PM by statewide

The NEW Falcons will make their daybue June 9th at the Columbia Cascades tourney ran by none other than Al Aldridge. Will the trademark smothering defense still exist, and the offensive discipline that has proved to be so successful over the last 30 years?

Will the new coach establish the boundaries early or will this turrn into just another underachieving one-man-show-pIck-up-ball program that are a dime a dozen?

Appearantly Prairie is no longer the destination of choice in Clark county.
Vanderpool (BG) and Rowe (Prairie, St Mary's ) have joined Chatman (EHS) at Union.
Former Falcon All-State selection Lanz has reportedly chose not to play with Prairie this spring and has plans to play elsewhere in the fall for her senior campaign.

I don't blame Lanz for leaving, for playing elsewhere and I wish her well. It is no different than if you are a math major and the best teacher in the school transfered to another school. Just as in sports, sometimes students follow that math teacher. Sports gets the headlines when this happens but if your basketball is really important to you, it might be in your best interest to follow a talented coach or move on when you lose one.. Eventually a group of Seniors at Prairie was going to find that the coach who had brought them along through their basketball high school career would leave or retire. Doesn't make it any easier for those it happened to. Aldridge may win a so called championship at Clark but who really cares.

'Just as in sports, sometimes students follow that math teacher.'

Are you being serious here? What is your definition of 'sometimes'...does this really happen that often?

Sure it happens. I have known kids who left a school because the math department and the music department had gotten worse instead of better.

There are many local examples of students leaving due to teacher persuations. Just take a look at your favorite local successful sports team. Ask the kid that played, I mean studied, at the school across town last year why he transferred. Most likely they have studied the WIAA handbook and are versed for their reply. The rule clearly states that athletics is not an acceptable premise for a transfer request.
Ok, ok, so the Prairie girls basketball team has been the beneficiary of some high level educators drawing them in from all over the county over the years. Obviously there must have been gender segregation at PHS. Many of the boys, most with elevated athleticism, seem to have been offered the apprentices and thus headed to destinations such as Union or Jefferson (they offer high level physics).
The AD, I mean principle, should look for better "physics" teachers.
flush.r191677.gif

I see Jackie Lanz played for St. Mary's Academy at the school team tournament at EOT.

Yes you did.
Fraternization can be very distructive to any team, wether it be military, corporations or in the schools.
It's sad that the authorities in this case didnt foresee the downside of "it's all about family".

lurk.r191677.gif

for the record, I never was saying that athletes follow a math teacher to a new school but rather a kid who was concerned about his math education sometimes heads toward a high school with a better math department. We all know that athletes head to better coaching and better programs. It happens everywhere and all the time. Volleyball players in Spokane head to Mead. Football players up north head to Bellevue. And we just saw a local result of players heading to Skyview to play for their summer coach. And of course, public schools compete with private schools who have little in the way of restrictions on who plays for them. Jesuit in Beaverton can get players city wide. Back east, catholic schools often have their own leagues separate from the public schools and it is a free for all. You look at the boys and girls USATODAY top 25 and it is loaded with private schools. I wish Jackie Lanz would have finished at Prairie with her other state championship team mates but in the end she and her parents made another choice and away she goes. I remember watching a really good player at Prairie a few years back, Cobb, who finished her last two years at Oregon City because her parents thought she would get more exposure.........and away she goes! Talent still requires good coaching and Prairie had that consistency for a very long time while other schools were getting a new coach every other year in SW Washington. That does not build a program or attract beter players.

Re: Prairie hire to replace Aldridge (repost)

Refresh your memory from a year ago. This proved to be true. Hopefully a different approach will be applied this time around.

Re: Prairie hire to replace Aldridge
The opinions seem to be consistent.
It would be interesting to know where the Prairie AD received the positive feed back from other than from a brother-in law. Typically an thorough justification would be required by an organization for such a hire with close family connections to those involed in the process. it must not work that way in the public school system. This does not reflect well on the AD. Just a word of advice: Never, Ever hire family. It will always come back to haunt you. Time will tell.
Check the link regarding the new coach:
This post was edited on 5/15 11:53 AM by wasports

Link: http://www.ratemyteachers.com/michael-smith/1542374-t
5/14 10:31 AM | IP: Logged

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT