ADVERTISEMENT

Seattle Times Week 7 poll makes no sense

statewide

Jan 18, 2004
Prairie beats two light weight teams and loses to a very good W.F. West team and they move from 6th to 2nd in the polls this week. So Wednesday we will have #1 Mark Morris against #2 Prairie. My money is on Mark Morris, my heart is with The Falcons.

I'm not sure the rest of the state looks much at who they play.

I think they just see a former state superpower with a good record.

I'm not entirely sure most of the state is really aware of the departure of Aldridge and how the program has flattened off a bit.

Ah well, though... perhaps it will be motivation for the Falcons to step up their game (probably not, but I can dream).

I too favor MM in the matchup but would love it if Prairie somehow pulled it off

Like being over rated by the ST, it really doesn't matter if the Falcons beat MM. Most importantly, they are getting the opportunity to play a great team 2 weeks before the post season. OC used to come to town and knock the snot out of Aldridge's teams this time of year.
The irony of the current situation at Prairie is that Aldridge created it. There is only one senior starter on the Falcons squad. Three starters from the Aldridge's middle school select team now are wearing STORM jerseys. The atmosphere at that time at Prairie was not inviting sending them across I-5. Add that to the lack of succession plan (as OC has done) and the Falcons are starting over. They have some good things at the core now and are on their way back. Patiance my friends.

This post was edited on 1/22 2:43 PM by wasports

That is probably how I should look at it too. The game against Mark Morris is a blessing and will help get them ready for the next round. I don't expect much and I didn't expect much last year. I would love it if they made it to the Tacoma Dome but that will be an even harder task than it was last year. Regardless I plan on spending Thursday and Friday watching the boys and the girls battle it out for a state championship. I am looking forward to seeing Rainier Beach probably more than any other team. I can't really think of a Girls team that I am excited to see. This might be my last year of attending. Just not as up for it as I used to be.

This post was edited on 1/22 3:13 PM by statewide

Why not Follow the Storm to the Dome and just make believe that the 3 are wearing crimson and gold. And your "fantasy" team wins their Seventh State Title.
It could have been.

wasports you are correct. It's easy to be negative sometimes but really, for all that has happened to the Falcons program, it is really a blessing for Prairie to be as good as they are now.

Hopefully more of the elite players will continue to come through Prairie in the future. And hey, I believe we are a couple years away from another Corral, if she decides to go to PHS.
tongue.r191677.gif

I have seen Prairie play once and Skyview play once. I will be rooting for Skyview at the Dome and hope they do well. As far as those girls that have found their way from Prairie to Skyview, not much you can do about that. If they wanted to go and they followed all the rules, I wish them well. Prairie has lost good players in the past and attracted good players. My issue is whether the good players will want to play for Prairie or will they migrate to Camas, Union, and Skyview.

The answer to that question, and it is an important one, lies in the youth programs. Prairie has been able to maintain their presence there. Stability with the coaching staff is next. The Falcons are young and have skilled freshman and sophomores, several of which are not playing varsity yet. That coupled with Just one senior this year translates to a positive outlook at the corner of 117th and Winco Way. I think the days of players traversing across town to play girls basketball are over. Unfortunately, Skyview doesn't have a youth program at this point. Camas does and will keep the east county kids close to the paper mill.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT