ADVERTISEMENT

Sehome over LC

LC looked like they were going to cruise to an easy victory in the first half, and then, they began to sputter. The Mariners abandoned the man to man pressure that LC handled easily, and went to their bread and butter 2-2-1. I had seen the Lyncs handle pressure in other games this season, so I found it particularly surprising to see how poorly they played against it tonight. When they did beat the press they were unable to get anything going in the front court. And of course there was Jake Manson. Jake Manson, who I had not seen score a basket all season hit a trey, then another, and another and another, and another, and another. When the smoke cleared, mighty Jake had hit at least 6 three's to lead the Sehome attack. Sehome finally caught the Lyncs with seconds left in regulation. In the OT it was all Sehome. Thae Mariners secured themselves a playoff spot and knocked Squalicum out

A few days ago I talked about how LC could handle pressure. Last night they did not handle the Sehome press. All you have to do is look at the box score to see what happened. Truman Van Dalen and Daulton Hommes had a combined 2 points for the Lyncs. In addition, they combined for a bushel of turnovers. That will have to get cleaned up real quick. The good news is the Lyncs blew through the man-to-man press in the first half, and I don't believe they will see a better pressure team than Sehome here on out. With all that went bad for LC, they led the entire game up until 7 seconds in regulation when little known Jake Manson tied the game with his 7th 3 pointer.

Warrant3 I made the trip for this one and agree with you statements above. I have seen LC demolish almost every form of pressure for years under DeBoer. I really believe Sehome turned it up a notch and the momentum just got to the Lyncs. The guards did not play well but I believe it is more of a fluke. I still see them torching any presses the rest of the way. Regardless of what happened tonight I know I wouldn't press them.
The other factoid is they played a very good 15-4 2A opponent on the road on senior night and still almost pulled it out on a poor night.This game will only help them down the road. Who do you think got better, LC in a game like this or did Seattle Academy get better beating Bush or Eastside Prep by 50. The NWC will prepare them for anything. As it did a year ago.

the real question is whether or not it is a sign of a team that peaked too early, or perhaps has other issues coming up at the wrong time. I have absolutely no knowledge of either of those things, but it makes you wonder. Meridian, as an example, seems to be on the skids. To your point about playing all these good teams preparing them--totally valid. But the 1A division is weak this year (or maybe just even) and since they are defending champs, maybe they believe they can take a game or two off and still win? From here on in (OK, maybe after Coupeville), they will be getting harder, though they can still lose a few and win it all. I still don't believe they will lose to the same team twice from here on in, so if I were coaching, I'd hope to not have to play them until I wouldn't have see them again and then pull out all the stops. Obviously they can be beat by a good effort.

To me, this seems like the classic case of one team, Sehome, who has something desperate to play for, and another team, LC, who had already secured their postseason seeding. At least as an LC fan, that's what I'm hoping. My gut tells me that that is the case, however, my mind worries about the possiblities. We will see what happens very soon.

To begin with, I don't think LC has peaked too early. No team in the 1A classification plays a tougher schedule than the Lyncs. They're not going to win every game. Secondly, I'm curious why you think the 1A's are down this year? My impression is that the west side is fairly deep. With respect to Meridian........ they are 3-9 in Conference play and 8-12 overall. Their record speaks for itself.

Meridian has lost 6 of their last 7. However you slice it, they have come off the rails. Why? No idea, but I'd like to be playing them right now! No argument on the tougher schedule for LC, but these boys play a LOT of basketball year round--you never know when it is going to catch up to them. Finally, I have seen a number of the top teams play and while they are good, don't think any of them are as good as some. And outside of LC, no one in the NWC really appears to be very good. Kings is a decent team, but super inconsistent and on off nights can be beat by anyone and the other two teams in the Cascade League are definitely worse than normal. CPC is solid, but not intimidating. Seattle Academy has won all their games--give 'em props for that, but they are playing in a very soft league. Cascade Christian seems like they are coming on, but saw them get thrashed earlier this year a few times and was very unimpressed with the big guy. Think about Nooksack with Impero, Vashon with Gage or Meridian with the Slesks. There doesn't seem to be anything or anyone like that who you think "wow!" Just my opinion, but it will probably be an entertaining next few weeks.

To paraphrase what King's Coach Skeen said in the newspaper: If a team/school is trying to win at basketball it is better to be playing basketball year round than doing some other activity or sport that makes an athlete struggle with basketball skills for the majority of the season.

The NWC teams have ups and downs during the season because they play tough teams night in and night out. If a team doesn't bring their A game every night then they will lose on the off nights and sometimes things can temporarily spiral. But, in the long run the teams that got challenged will be better off. Not everyone gets almost no tough games in league and gets to play the Granite Falls and Couplevilles of the world multiple times during a season.

soar: not sure of your point. it isn't skill I'm talking about, it's battle fatigue. NWC teams deal with it every night and while it helps sharpen the mind, it dulls the body.

Interesting points. However, I don't think it's something we can really say for a fact, unless we've actually experienced it ourselves. there's a reason why an NWC team is consistently in the hunt come tourney time, whether it was Meridian 3 years ago, Nooksack 2 years ago, and LC last year. I really don't think fatigue has anything to do it, unless for some reason every player on the team has asthma. The games are still 32 minutes long, and every team still plays 20 games in the regular season. The NWC is a big part of that. The positives greatly outweigh the negatives, and th enegatives are few and far between.

The King's coach said that because he was talking about one of his football players who was progressively regaining skill lost during football and it paid off with 40 points in one game. That was the only point he was trying to make. One of his kids is really good but hadn't shown it since it took him a while to get his basketball feet back under him. It wasn't about conference strength or how much kids should play in the off-season.

The quote was:

"Coming out of football is a hard transition. People don't get that you
don't just take the pads off and all of the sudden (play well). It's
been a little bit of a transition, but he's starting to get back. We've
seen it in practice and we've seen it in games. He's put up 20-plus in
about three games in a row. And when he's playing like a basketball
player and not a football player, I'd put him up there with (Brock)
VandenEkart and (Zach) Taylor as one of the top three or four players in
our league."

I could be doing a great deal of presuming but reading between the lines it sounds like he would rather kids play more basketball in the off season and not less.

From what I have heard about that 40 point game it sounds as if he probably should have scored 50 with the amount of shots that were going up. Plus, It would be interesting to see someone do that against some tougher competition.

My point in reply to daretobe (as he was trying to say that playing basketball in the off season would wear kids down) was that playing off season basketball is probably less grueling on ones body than participating in another sport (such as football) and probably far more beneficial in being preparing to compete in the basketball playoffs at this point in the year.

Try telling that to Lynden - All but one member of their varsity basketball team was also on the football squad, and I'd say they've played some pretty good basketball up to this point!

As we all know, I'm a King's student and what i hear is that he encourages kids to play multiple sports and enjoy their highschool experience, although I'm sure he is not at all dissappointed when some of his kids choose to play only basketball. It didn't sound to me like he took that many shots, but I wasn't at the game so I'm not sure. I wish the league teams were closer so I didn't have to drive so far... Also, Sultan is not a bad team, they are not great either, but it was a close game so give them some respect...

Agree with Shawdley. Sultan isn't Saint Mary's School of the Blind. They can play a little so don't insult them too much. Kings will be a dangerous dark horse. Won't win a title, but cud place.

nobody who is serious about basketball is playing 20 games a year. I know some of these teams play almost 100 and depending on where kids are on the cycle, February/March are dog days because it is at the end of the basketball cycle for them and they are both physically and mentally tired and they don't play that well sometimes because of it. maybe that's where meridian is.

I think that Bill was making my point! Because, way back in December, LC was firing on all cylinders and crushed a Sultan team that had lost to Sehome by 11 the night before in a Christmas tournament a few days after LOSING to a Bellingham team that an 0-18 Nooksack Valley team BEAT a few days ago...which is clear evidence that LC is starting to struggle because they are experiencing battle fatigue because they have played too many games!

Sorry, not buying it. LC lost to Sehome in large part because of poor point guard play. Keep in mind I really like this year's LC team. I'd like to see them repeat.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:26 AM by Warrant3

Warrant, my response to Bill was actually tongue-in-cheek, as they say, but I hope you are right about LC missing Wolfiss. When you think about how effective he was at managing the game for the first 2/3 to 3/4 of the court against pressure, well, not having that this year gives the rest of us hope that we are not just playing for second. there is a lot of pressure on his replacement, that's for sure.

I would agree a little that point guard play would have to do with a little of the lost to sehome. But lets not forget it was senior night at sehome. They needed to win to secure a playoff spot. They had a lot to play for that night and i think that might have made a difference. Just my opinion but we will find out soon enough.

I agree with NWCfan, Sehome needed to win that game to get into the postseason, LC locked up the #1 seed and it was senior night. LC is very well coached and coached for this time of year. Looks like it is going to be a fun time of year. Gotta love the postseason

OK, if you want to hang your hat on that, I'm good with it. Keep in mind, Sehome did not have to win that game. They had to win one of their last two. In other words, they had to beat LC or BE. I really like this LC team, and I hope they do well in the playoffs. I have a great appreciation for Roger De Boer and the way he coaches. The bottom line is, the Lyncs lost to Sehome because they did not handle the full court pressure defense Sehome played in the second half.
This post was edited on 2/5 12:00 PM by Warrant3

Agreed. The LC pg replacement is a sophmore by the name of Daulton Hommes. He is their 3rd leading scorer, so he's proven he's got the talent. Just needs to play with the confidence, but he can do it. And I can garuntee that Deboer has been throwing pressure in practice, which is easier to simulate than you'd think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT