ADVERTISEMENT

Squally 20 Lynden 19 1/2 time

Squally 51 Lynden 43 FINAL

Lynden was ahead 36-29 early 4th, and then Squally went on a 14-0 run, which was the ball game essentially.

Lynden goes stone cold down the stretch giving up a 14-0 run after being up 7 middle of 4th. Lions claw their way back 47-33 with 30 seconds left. BJ, Qualls and Pierce all making big plays down stretch. Storm win 51-43

-passion8

The Storm did a nice job limiting the big kid from Lynden. Ultimately their athleticism took over late - several key rebounds in that 4th quarter run. I still think both those squads get to the sundome...and a potential game 3!

A couple of things that stood out to me....the quick hands of the Squalicum guards. How many times during the game did we see Lynden guards losing the handle because of those pesky Storm guards.....plenty. Lynden made it clear they wanted to get Meyer going early, but poor passes and the presence of Mattix down low through a monkey wrench into the plan.
Biggest shot of the night came after a Squalicum timeout in the 4th quarter when Lynden went up by 7. I don't remember the player, but I believe he was a reserve. It ignited the Storm, and sent them on a 10-0 run. I like both of these teams to make it to Yakima as well.

That was Blake Youtze who can shoot the 3 for Squally. As a young man, the more confidence he gets, the better he will be. Agree with Warrant on the Storm guards. Was surprised (actually shocked) how many times Lynden gave up the ball and forced bad shots down the stretch. I think Lynden will take it out on Sehome in a big way. Could a 3rd game of Lynden and SQ be brewing at state? First things first. SQ needs to put their cups on as they prepare to play Cedarcrest.

-passion8

Well said Warrant. To add to the quick hands of the Squalicum guards, I thought Squally's defense as a whole was awesome. As it was mentioned, Mattix did a great job of denying Meyer the ball down low, and even when he did get the ball, it was usually quite a ways away from the rim. The entire game, it seemed like the Lions had a difficult time getting the ball inside of the 3-point arc at all, and when they did take a look at the long ball, very rarely was it without a hand in the face. Usually when you clog the middle, you are giving up the outside, and vica versa. I think that speaks to the entire team speed of the Storm.

It just seemed to me that Squalicum was playing the aggressor for most of the night (even when the Lion's were making runs). Lynden was out of sync, throwing the ball all over, struggling to get in their sets, while Squal played their game, and when it came time to finish, they stepped on the Lion's throats.

ADVERTISEMENT