ADVERTISEMENT

track predictions for 2007

TJLJHJ024

Mar 28, 2006
It's probably early to be talkin about this but hey why not ya know? zillah, last years champions lost a lot of seniors but kept 3 key people. They kept zach sybouts...1st in the 100m, 2nd in the 200m, 4th in the jav, and was the anchor of the 1st place 4x100m relay...also returning is jake friedrich...2nd in the long jump, 4th in the triple, ran a leg on the 4x100m relay,was tied for third in the high jump ranking with a jump of 6 feet but had an off day, last year he also posted a 11.4 100m dash and is thinking of making this a 4th event..... weston argo who took 8th in the 110 hurdles, was ranked 4th in the triple jump but had an off day. Between the three of these this acounts for 44 of zillah's 69 points. This is with all three having off days in 1 or two events. plus they also have a few underclassmen that could step up and do some damage...any thoughts? also... how are some of the other schools lookin?
This post was edited on 9/5 1:59 PM by TJLJHJ024if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 9/5 2:02 PM by TJLJHJ024if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Colton Dunn. No longer a freshman. His second year at Hockinson (2A) is bound to be successful.

yeah. well this year for state i heard the 1A/2A state meet are runnin at some chump high school, i think mount tahoma hs. thoughts?

The site probably isn't the best for a state meet, but that's what happens to 2A and 1A. One upside is there probably aren't bleachers blocking the view of the track, or at least i hope there aren't.

Actually Mt. Tahoma High School has a wonderful track. It will serve quite adequately for the 1As. Went over and saw it last weekend during Gridiron. We were pretty comfy at EWU but TOhoma will be fine.

It's my understanding that Mt Tahoma has improved their facility and it is under discussion as a possible site for the 3A/4A meet when it moves back to the westside. Many people are fixated on the endzone bleachers at EWU and fail to look at other aspects of the site - like parking. Mt. Tahoma won't have the endzone bleachers, but it's a high school and it will be in session and may not have the parking, either.

Ill venture to say ellensburg has a shot at the 2A state championship this year. Team that placed 11th at a very stacked 3A state championship meet returns some big time athletes. Senior Isak Bergman posted the 2nd fastest time in the nation when he won the 800m at the golden west invitational last year. Ran a 1:50.something. Faster than Barbosa's PR. Isak also has a shot at winning the 1600m and the 400m as he has run in the 48 second range for the 400 and around 4:23 in the 1600m. Also returning is 6'6" highjumper Matt Pfeifer. Matt is a a junior and should also do well at the long jump and the triple jump. Another stud high jumper is Brayton Dekoning. Brayton jumped 6'2" last year as a soph and should make big strides. To add to the list is Junior Wes Ferall who pole vaulted 13'6" last year as a sophomore. Junior Shay Peterson should provide some sprinting punch as he has run a very respectable 53 seconds in the 400m as a soph last year. The distance crew is extremely solid as demonstrated by ellensburg's 4th place finish that the cross country championships this fall. Berkin Owart and Matt Nodine can run. Also returing is a 160+ Jav thrower in junior JJ ulmer. Only question mark is the Shot, Disc, Hurdles, and the short sprints, but one can expect eburg to fill in those spots. Seems like ellensburg produces a couple division 1 track and field athletes every year.

Hey can anyone give me some thoughts on 4a Track predictions? Its nice to hear about 1a and 2a but i want to know what people think about 4a track this upcoming season.

sounds like ellensburg is going to be stiff competition for track. they had an impressive showing at xc state this year. im interested in seeing jake riley on the track following a very successful showing in cross country.

Foster should win their 3rd straight 4x100 title in 2A. They return 5 of 6 guys (alternates included). Rumor has it that they've got a freshman that is already faster than anyone they've ever had. They are looking pretty good on the Boys side. They did lose Danny Sullivan a huge part of their team, but they've added some depth in the distance and jumping events. They return all of their sprinters except Sullivan. Jeremy Uhila pulled a hammy right before districts last year, but he is expected to do well in the long and triple jumps. They've also gotten two basketball transfers that are flat out explosive jumpers. Both plan to do the high jump in the spring. Should be an interesting season for the Bulldogs.

The again with the schools that dropped down to 2A from 3A there's no telling what could happen.
This post was edited on 1/12 7:05 PM by 808613if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Well, my son's primarily been a sprinter, so that's what I've followed most. But we moved from a 3A school to a 4A school, so I'm just going on what I see from last year. In the 100m, 5 of the finalists graduated, so I would say look out for Nic Johnson, Aaron Wafer, and Ashtin Mott. Ezra John Griffey, though he wasn't at the top last year could have developed and/or worked out during the off season and could be a contender. I won't mention my son, so I won't jinx him, but I think if everything goes as well (actually better) than his sophomore year, he should do well (even if it's finishing strong in a decathlon, which is what he really wants to do). In the 200, Aaron Wafer returns after winning last year with a decent 22.08. Ezra John made it to finals last year, so I would expect to see him make it again. Add Nic, Stephone Jordan, and Ashtin from last year... In the 400 last year, everyone was a senior - except for two sophomores: Isaac Teichgrab and, yes, Nic. In the 300h, Stephone was the lone non-senior, so I'd expect to see him again there unless a coach grabs him for some relay teams. Kentridge, which didn't make it to State last year, thinks it has a chance in the 4 x 1; we'll see - but they're not gonna really be showing anything in the 4 x 400. Sadly, on the girls' side, Ezra John's sister, Princess Joy, has gone off to WSU, so we won't be seeing any of her dazzling come from way behind relay finishes, so beautiful, they were really almost artistic. Hope this helps a little - and you weren't looking for medium to long distance or field events!

Being new to 4A I can understand your possible overlooking two sprinters missing from their primary events at State '06, Ryan Hamilton, Evergreen (Van) won Pasco and dor the most part last year led all sprinters in both 100/200, and Andre' Jennings, Ferris (late of LC), missed the season after tearing hamstring in preseason. He placed in the top 5 in the 100/200 as a frosh, and again a top placer as a soph. So i expect they will be among the top competitors in this their senior year. Looking to see some speed on the track this season.

AHEM

AHEM...

sorry, i didn't see much talk on here anymore, and i was kinda worried, i mean track is only 22 days away

Alright, let me get a life real quick. Nectaly is amazing, don't get me wrong, and I don't think anyone could forget about him. Really. Soooo you don't have to talk him up on here, like everyone has forgot about him, he is a local legend, thats pretty hard to forget.

aaron wafer is gonna take it in the 100, the 200, and the 400. He should place pretty high in the long jump too.

Hello, fellow track fan, I along with others realize Mr. Wafer is the defending 200m State champ, however, as I stated in an earlier post the two to look out for are Misters Hamilton (Evergreen-Vancouver) and Jennings, Ferris, Jennings in particular has never been beaten by Wafer on the track. Also let me take time to emphasize to fellow posters, when viewing posts here over the years I have found the B, 1A/1B, 2A/2B, get a look of exposure I follow more closely the 4A/3A. So my posts will speak largely to the athletes I know of not withstanding there are some very fine athletes at the smaller schools and I along with all track fans appreciate their efforts as well. The Regionals in the East will be interesting with Wafer and Jennings hooking up.

you may be right, but first ellensburg will have to get through the CWAC. The Selah Vikings have what looks to me like a very good team this year. brett blanshen is only a sophomore and i believe he placed 6th in th 100 meter in last years state tourney. Shene davis placed 6th or 7th as well on the womens side of the same race. jordan stuekel placed top 5 i believe in the shotput, the girls relay placed and returned 3 of the 4 runners, mike young is a very talented athlete and does well in the javelin, and there are many others and i would be here all day if i listed them all. one adition to the track team is speedster Jeremy Franck, you bulldogs may remember the kid that ran right past everyone when eburg kicked off with 10 seconds left after what was thought was the game winning touchdown way back during week 10 of the football season. It should be fun to see what exactly happens because i would guess that both the vikings and the bulldogs have a shot at that state championship.

so...looking at the track & field book from last season...zillah has the top 100, 200, jav, long jump, and 4x100 returning from last year. they also have the 4 and 5 TJ. a top 8 in the 300 and 110 hurdles...this looks pretty tough..what other 1A schools are looking tough...marks?

Man, I don't even feel fast right now. 100, 200, ouch. Those both sound painful at the moment. That, and we have to get our 4x100 figured out...yah?

Luke Carter from Royal has been working on his speed and is hoping to win the state title in the 100. he has put on some muscle and is now a healthy 230. perfect sprinting shape. watch out for this guy

I think that's the same guy we were told to look out for last year and never heard his name once during track season. Ehh?

1A- Zillah will be a strong contender this year and will be district champs, but I don't think they have enough to win a state champoinship.2A Ellensburg, Selah and Prosser will vie for the league championship with Ellensburg making a run at the state champoinship.3A- West Valley always has a strong group of young kids and Hanford will have a decent group. 4A-I have no clue.

zillah has just as good a shot as anyone actually...looking at the track and field returners from last year...this is with all the new schools coming down...zillah has the most returning points in the state. Kings will also be very strong...could be another last race show down.

hey nice predictions mikejones9.
colton got four first in a 5 school meet today:
100, 200, 400(50.5), and anchored the 4x400(50.9)
not sure about his 100 and 200 times.

Dunn is a fast one. Right now, it's looking like he'll be at state again, but with all these 3A schools moving down, he may have a rough road to get there. But in the end, I think Dunn will once again impress many.

I just discovered www.athletic.net not too long ago. I think it's great, but doesn't include Eastside times (probably 'cause the coaches don't use it...). It's too bad, in a way, 'cause it lets the Westside guys have a false sense of security in that they may truly have a "threat" from someone else in the state.

In any case, Pasco is better than State in that the best of the best compete - not just in their 4A, 3A, or whatever groups. It should be an interesting year as the times keep improving and the seeming favorite last week is knocked off this.

Also, I think it's great 'cause FAT is used; my observation has been that the times vary not by the .24 that is really just a statistical average, but by as much as .6, with .4 being more accurate.

In any case, I did look up Andre's times and, while fast, not quite as fast as Ryan Hamilton (now of Graham-Kapowsin) or Ezra John Griffey's (see my note above about hand times).

What are your opinions now that there are some meets - and current season times?

Right, Cynthreab, the coaches on the eastside are slow with inputting the stats for this vital source of information. Again right on Pasco Invite is considered by many as a better meet overall as they offer the opportunity for all classes to participate one against the other. As for Andre's times, his 200 is the state leader, 21.99 FAT, with a 21.8 hand, his 100 in his only run so far is a hand time of 10.54 rounded up to 10.6. Pasco will offer a good test of his skills and those of the aforementioned Hamilton as well as some other noteworthy sprinters. Ezra John Griffey's time is not FAT, it was a 10.64 rounded up to 10.7. According to the entries for Pasco, Hamilton is running for Evergreen (Vancouver). As for opinions mine is that we are in for a great track season, each time out times drop and new faces emerge, yet I feel secure the more seasoned trackster will come out on top. I believe you are right the westsiders are in for a surprise as the east has some speed over here.

State track and field leaders

Through April 7, as reported to Washington Track Weekly

FAT: Fully automatic timing (add .24 to hand-timed results for comparison).

Boys

100 meters — FAT: Ryan Hamilton, Evergreen (Vancouver), 10.97; Cedric Carter, South Kitsap, 11.03; Brett Blanshan, Selah, 11.13. Hand-timed: Andre' Jennings, Ferris, 10.6; Ryan Barrett, Graham-Kapowsin, 10.7; Ezra John Griffey, Decatur, 10.7.

200 — FAT: Andre' Jennings, Ferris, 21.99; Ryan Barrett, Graham-Kapowsin, 22.30; Sam Rucker, Klahowya, 22.59. Hand-timed: Andre Jennings, Ferris, 21.8; Stephon Jordan, Garfield, 21.8; Ezra John Griffey, Decatur, 21.9.

400 — Isaac Teichgrab, Stanwood, 49.23; Nectaly Barbosa, Prosser, 49.32; Anthony Watkins, Highline, 49.79.

800 — Nectaly Barbosa, Prosser, 1:49.94; Isak Bergman, Ellensburg, 1:51.22; Charlie Williams, Gig Harbor, 1:53.57.

1600 — Michael Chinchar, Kentwood, 4:08.23; Max O'Don-McDonald, Seattle Prep, 4:!5.8; Joey Bywater, Lake Stevens, 4:15.9.

3200 — Matt Frerker, Skyline, 9:08.40; Ryan Prentice, Mount Rainier, 9:11.32; Max O'Don-McDonald, Seattle Prep, 9:11.40.

110 hurdles — FAT: Tim Armstrong, East Valley (Spokane), 14.54; Stephon Jordan, Garfield, 14.90; Vic Chatman, Olympic, 15.26. Hand-timed: Stephon Jordan, Garfield, 14.3; Nicky Snyder, Archbishop Murphy, 14.7; Anthony Stadeker, Yelm, 14.9; Preston Borth, Issaquah, 14.9; Adam Walden, Newport, 14.9.

300 hurdles — FAT: Stephon Jordan, Garfield, 37.96; Miles Timpe, Enumclaw, 39.05; Logan Darling, Bellingham, 39.47. Hand-timed: Beau Stevie, Liberty Bel, 39.6; Adam Walden, Newport, 39.8; Scottie Duclos, Kamiakin, 39.8.

Shot put — Steven Ayers, Sehome, 60-0; Sam Washington, Lincoln, 59-0; Renard Williams, South Kitsap, 56-5 ½.

Discus — Matt Gill, West Valley (Yakima), 169-11; Steven Ayers, Sehome, 164-6; Jacob Hanes, Shelton, 162-3.

Javelin — Nick Lyons, DeSales, 198-11; Wes Nolen, University, 195-3; David Musson, Colville, 192-5.

High jump — Ross VanZanten, Mark Morris, 6-8 ¼; Keefe Brockman, Hanford, 6-8; Eric Greenwood, Edmonds-Woodway, 6-7.

Long jump — Magaiva Herman, Hudson's Bay, 24-0; Robert Cramer, Camas, 22-3; Jameson Howk, Washougal, 22-2 ¼.

Triple jump — Magaiva Herman, Hudson's Bay, 46-4; Antoine Simms, Yelm, 44-6 ½; Stephan Scott-Ellis, Curtis, 44-6.

Pole vault — Sam Sampson, Squalicum, 15-6, Sean Beighton, Kamiak, 14-7; Justin George, Yelm, 14-6; Ryan Brown, Squalicum, 14-6.

400 relay — Evergreen (Vancouver), 42.7; North Central, 42.97; Beamer, 42.9.

1600 relay — Renton, 3:26.63; Ferris, 3:27.2; Bainbridge, 3:28.1.

These are the current times both FAT & hand times, also look to website; dyestat.com, click on regions, go to NW region, there click on John Crawford, you will find the Pasco Invite with all the lane assignments.

Yeah, I meant Ryan Barrett, not Ryan Hamilton. Barrett's from Graham-Kapowsin. He's listed as #1 for the 1 and 2 on www.athletic.net...

Enjoy Pasco!

Ryan Hamilton, 10.84 FAT, at this writing times are not up for 200, Jennings tweaks ham @ 04/12 GSL meet, coach stratch for Pasco. Strong showings by all attending.

It was surprising that Aaron Wafer didn't do as well as I would have expected him to. Also, no Ezra John Griffey - and too bad about Andre. Ryan Barrett didn't show, either.

My son went, did okay, but his ham is bothering him, too. All the cold and rain didn't help much, either. Meanwhile it was beautiful and sunny on the Westside!

I am not a distractor from Aaron Wafer, again my feelings on his winning the state 200 last year were the absence of both Hamilton & Jennings. I have been following his races this year and did not expect him to get out of the pre-lims as the times he was producing did not put him in among the best in his area. Sorry as well to hear of your son's injury hopefully his recovery is a short one. As for Ezra J. Griffey, his school is not on the invite list as they have not attended in the past. Ryan Barrett's school same deal. Hamilton repeats in the 200 as well, 22.54. Strong showings by the 2A's lest we forget Prosser now a 2A moved down in classification from 3A.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT