ADVERTISEMENT

W.S wins it...

RangerOne

Apr 20, 2004
Connell didn't have the 'Hollywood' today. Great game....
A little disrespect on Connell's side...poor sportsmanship at the end.
2-0..blanko

Well that sucks for connell they play good against us and didnt show up to play the next day? Cockyness is what i think. I heard #10 punched a white salmon player is that true? He was cocky at the start of our match and when we first encountered them before our practice at the field. Well thats what connell gets for being too cocky they should've played like the other team was better tha then instead of already deciding before the game was over that they would be state champs. Good job white salmon

I can't really say, personally.
But I was quite surprised at how coach garcia's boys acted at the end.
At least one of them. But then again, he can't control...all of it.
Too bad. Connell was the better team, IMHO, they were just 'flat'.
The error on the Connell keeper by catching the ball above his head and leaning back into the goal was White Salmon's second goal...
just wasn't Connell's day. I was really shocked to see #10 not as much as a factor. Seemed that the Eagles were bunkered up most of the game hopeing for a shoot out...which obviously never happened. Typical MO

connell is a very good team. they have skills far superior than any other team we have played all year. and it's not that they didn't come to play, because oh believe me, they wanted it bad. this was their revenge match. we beat them last year for third place and every one thought that they were gonna win it all.

brewster, you say that conell is super cocky. but i haven't heard anyone boast about there own team as much as you guys have. and connell came out and out played you. and we out played connell.

the reason why number 10 wasn't as showy is because our defense shut him down. white salmon has by far the best defense in 1a state in my opinion. in both the semi's and the final they had shut outs. which all the other teams let in a significant amount of goals. and even if the goal keeper had not made that mistake, Mark Lovrin's stellar shot put us up in the lead and Carlos Mendoza's goalie box was left untouched.

white salmon deserved this.

As mentioned, Connell came up with bad sportsmanship. In the Brewster game, once they took the lead, they showboated, and Brewster nearly caught them late in the game. Bad form.

Against White Salmon, continuous ball pressure kept Connell from establishing ball flow and movement and pushed them off their game. Connell's frustration finally got the best of them late in the game when #10 starting swinging at a WS player.

If RangerOne is a Connell fan, then he's showing bad sportsmanship too, claiming White Salmon won because Connell was 'flat'.

Bottom line is Connell needs to stop disrespecting other teams, showboating individuals over team play, and except the fact that WS has beaten them in state finals two years in a row (last year for third, and this year for the championship).

White Salmon is a young team. Their entire mid-field and front line is freshmen and sophmores, with the exception of one junior (all returning next year). Their strength is not at forward, so they may not look as showy as other teams. But, as Lerebourg points out, an oustanding performance in this year's state tournament by WS's back line led them to victory, continuously shutting down size, speed, and "Hollywood" skills to limit their opponents to a total of two goals the entire tournament, and a shut out in the Semi's and Finals matches. No other team held Connell's scoring power to a blank.

RangerOne... please recover your sportsmanship and admit that it was WS's defense that sterilized Connell's "Hollywood" attack strategy and left them frustrated to the final buzzer. Given that performance, all that was required was one well placed shot by sophomore Mark Lovrin for the go ahead goal. WS's second goal may have been considered "lucky", but any time a player can put a shot just below the cross bar from 30 yards out, that would normally be considered a good shot by any onlooker.

Stop the disrespecting and give WS the congratulations they deserve.

Brewster and Connell will always garnish WS's respect. Along with all of the other teams who advance into the state brackets and play solid soccer from the frontline to the backline.

Well, If you knew me you'd know I am not a Connell fan, lol.
I will agree that WS has a great defense and did have more first touches.
They did pressure, Agree.

Thanks RangerOne. The WS boys knew they needed to shut down Connell's key players. And they did for 80 minutes. No other team was able to take away Connell's strength like WS did by closing down, pressuring, double teaming, and winning headers. The night before, Brewster sat back and didn't take the defense to Connell, and Connell capatilized on the space they were given.

WS new their own strengths and weaknesses and balanced them to Connell. A well fought and deserved win against a solid team in the final.

Good luck to all teams next season. There are alot of great players in Washington 1A, great teams, and great coaching. Looking forward to seeing how next season matches up.

Whoever thinks connell is not cocky is crazy. Since white Salmon scored the first goal against SA they were already claiming that they were going to play WS and guess they were right.

When we first showed up to practice, and just to let you know we have a small team, the whole connell team was laughing and looking our way #10 threw a ball of tape to one of my teamates and said "her's your tape". Even thier coach was smurking and completely ignored our coach as he tried to talk to him. And during the game as I was gaurding him on a corner he was saying to me "hey 23 watch this goal im going to make i jump real high just watch" he didn't score. If it wasn't for me wrapping him up during the final minutes of the game he would have swung at one of my teamates as well.

On the contrary we did not brag about our team when have we once said we were going to take state or beat connell? Not even once!

Congradulations to a great White Salmon team I also thought thier back line was solid they deserve every bit of that stated tittle!
This post was edited on 5/31 11:53 AM by 23Brewster

I am so proud of Columbia (WS), You guys deserve this win, Thank You for all of your hard work you have made me, other alumni and your community proud. This is vindication for all of us who started this program in 2001. Thanks.

Congrats White Salmon on the State Championship. You represented SWW1A with class and you deserved the win.

Yes I agree even though I did not watch any of the games but I would believe Connell is a very disrepectful team! They need to learn how to lose. They've been dominating soccer ever since they won state in 2001. But there sportsmanship is very bad! Whenever they score they taunt the other team. Seems all of there bad sportmanship got the best of them. A team like that should never deserve to be in a final game.

What is happing to the SCAC or the Eastside of WA. You guys dominated soccer ever since 1999 then now in 2008 Kings takes it and then Yesterday WS takes it. Bring back the state championship back to the Eastside!!!

But great job WS, You guys deserve it!!!

I love being able to say that we played the state champs closer then any other team in the state and are the only team to score more then one goal on them multiple times.

Their goalie and defense is definitely what won this for them though. They are by far the best ive ever played against. way to go you guys. I wish we could of been there with you. great way to represent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT