ADVERTISEMENT

West Valley Spokane 10 Runs Ephrata in GNL/CWAC Preseason Game

mpeterson

Sep 2, 2006
West Valley and Ephrata opened their seasons today with a GNL vs CWAC preseason crossover game at WV. WV jumped off to an early 2-0 lead after the first inning and did not look back as they easily cruised to an 11-0 (4 1/2 inning) victory over Ephrata.

As expected the West Valley strength is their hitters who were very impressive today with multiple extra base hits throughout the line up. The WV pitching and defense was solid.

Both teams were missing players due to the state basketball tournament. WV was missing 3 players (2B, SS and 3B) while Ephrata was missing 4 (2B, SS and 2 outfielders).

It is too early to read much into one game. I expect both teams to be improved once they are at full strength.

It does appear West Valley has a group of players who will challenge last year's GNL champion and preseason favorite Cheney for a position among the top in the GNL.

WV may be very good this year Mr. Peterson. But don't gauge anything based on Ephrata. They will likely end up in 5th place in the CWAC this year.....

CWAC GUY - I completely agree with you. My assessment is that Ephrata is probably a middle tier CWAC team this season. As I stated, it is way too early to gauge anything other than a solid first game performance for WV.

The season is a marathon - not a sprint.

I expect the CWAC title to be decided between Selah and Ellensburg.

I was at the West Valley game also. I realize Ephrata was missing guys and this will be a down year for them, but I came away with a couple of things

One, We knew WV would hit the ball and they did.

Two, I was concerned about pitching going into the season but was very encouraged that the three guys who threw, threw strikes with all their pitches. We also didn't see the two guys who will be probably our one and two throw. That being said I am more encouraged about our pitching.

Three, we have a few teams in our league who will not be good and sometimes WV plays down to that level, I did not see that yesterday.

Conclusion, I agree with Mike, WV will make a solid run at the GNL title.

ADVERTISEMENT