ADVERTISEMENT

Why Tahoma (Dist 3/4 #2) vs the East side teams??

tjwatc

May 17, 2004
I was looking at the 4A state bracket and noticed something interesting. If you add up the seeds in the four brackets, three of the four quarter brackets total 14 (1,2,5,6) (1,7,3,3) (1,2,3,8) and one totals 8 (1,2,2,3).

I understand that the eastside teams lost the entry into the state tournament (had they kept it, their bracket would have totaled 10), but why not replace it with the team that got it? or make it a better situation for the district 3/4 #2, why not send a team that finished in the bottom half of the district 3/4 tournament to Spokane to play, and let the #2 stay home.

Just a thought, any comments, I would love to hear them.

Anyone know who got the extra spot that had belonged to the GSL/Big 9 (11)??

The 4th seed that the east side lost went to District 3/4. So what does the WIAA do? They send the #2 seed from District 3/4 back to Spokane. How in the heck does that make any sense? Tahoma, by virtue of their district playoff success, deserves to stay closer to home. The 7 or 8 seed should have been sent, in my opinion. Tahoma is getting the shaft.

The logic of sending a #2 over there amuses me (if not whizzes right by me!). I agree, send a lower seed over there... although I'm happy it wasn't WCD #8, LOL!!

in the 3A bracket, Newport wins the kingco district title and goes to state tourney as a #1 seed. Their reward? They get to travel across the mountains to play in the Yakima regional, which is the only regional that has two #1 seeds in it (newport and west valley-spokane). traveling to yakima isn't quite as harsh as having to travel another 3 hours to spokane, but the principle is the same.

my other beef has always been that the eastern washington teams beat the crud out of each other in league and districts, then the WIAA guys make them eliminate each other in the first round of state. Davis and southridge (same league) are arguably 2 of the better teams in the state and could be playing in the final 4 if they were sent to different regions. Like last year in the 3A final 4. 3 of the final 4 teams were from the Longview area. That was possible because the WIAA sent them all to different regionals. That never happens with the eastern washington teams and I don't agree with it. That's just my opinion and I'm often wrong, so take it for what it's worth (which isn't much).

I don't think you're wrong, at all. This is exactly what I've been saying all along: The GSL and Huge 9/11 beat the living tar out of themselves, and then they go into a crazy district that seems to be some sort of attempt at a marathon baseball tourney with a double-elimination format. Why?

Play a single-elimination district and get it over with, then revamp the regionals to place at least the top two eastern teams in separate brackets!

Msg moved
This post was edited on 5/19 11:19 AM by Lucas99if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT