ADVERTISEMENT

1A WIAA Schedule is Posted - East Side only gets 6 teams

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
The 1A state brackets have been posted. Looks like the West side has 2 teams playing the east side. District #3 (Nisqually/Olympic - 3rd Seed) and #4 (Evergreen/Trico - 4th seed) both get to send a team over the mountains. Why doesn't the East side send a team to the West? I suggest sending the SCAC #4 to the West side this year, it may turn out to be a replay of 2007 watching Connell playing Royal (2 cities 30 miles apart playing in the Tacoma Dome 200 miles away). Come to think of it, that was the last time they mixed the brackets. From 2008 until now, they have kept an east side and West side brackets with the following exception.

2015 - 2 Teams from the Easy playing on the West side.
2013 - Meridian came over and got crushed by Cashmere (41-22)
2010 - Hoquiam came over and got crushed by Connell (56-14)​

So Why doesn't the East get to send a team to the West side? is it because the East side wins 60% of the championship games so to even it out we add an extra west side team into the mix?

If things play out as I see it - the Nisqually/Olympic - 3rd Seed would be playing Royal (long drive home after a painful whopping) and the Evergreen/Trico - 4th seed going all the way to Spokane to play (Coleville/Lakeside/Freeman) Much longer drive for the same painful whopping. Really? Who thought this one through??? I could see La Center or castle rock making the 450 mile trek to Colville. that would be 9 hours in a bus to play a 2 hour game then 9 hours back home. OUCH!!!!. I thought we made a East/West bracket because of travel expenses. What is WIAA thinking.

Here is a link to the bracket: http://www.wiaa.com/Brackets/T1200.pdf

This year Royal and Connell would still be in the same half of the bracket, but wouldn't see each other until the semifinals. Of course, that is thinking much farther ahead than I am willing. I think a big part of the problem is the Caribou Trail being so much smaller and only getting 1 seed. For some reason the SCAC only gets 3 seeds this year. I think it is part of a rotation from year to year. I personally miss the opportunity of getting both teams in the finals from the same side of the state.

Either way this year like all the others will be interesting when it comes playoff time. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day and I think it will happen this year........

So will Royal be the #2 seed from district 5 if they win the SCAC east? Does that make Zillah #1 if they win the SCAC west?

WOW. A westside bias for the WIAA, what a surprise. I vote we just give 15 to the west side and then come up with the best east side team, and that will be our 1. :)

Currently the outlook shows Zillah being #1 (don't see any west side teams beating them) Royal #2, (schedule is pretty easy from here on out). Both will still have to get past crossovers playing the #3 seed on the other side. This makes the #3 spot the winner of Connell and #2 west side (La Salle, G-Dale, and Naches still battling)

I suppose this could stir up some controversy is Connell beats Zillah in the last game of the season, but the SCAC bracketing will remain regardless

ADVERTISEMENT