ADVERTISEMENT

2012-2013 predictions

RBballRocks

Oct 29, 2012
Predictions for 2012-2013 season now that we are close to starting....Any injuries from football or the off season that will affect how teams fair this year?

My Predictions:
1. Zillah
2. Lynden Christian
3. Toledo
4. Kalama
5. Bellevue Christian
6. Cascade Christian
7. Seattle Christian
8. Kings

Ok, I'll bite. My observations on your opening 8:

Zillah loses the Championship to LC and loses way more to graduation PLUS LC has the reigning player of the year returning -- but the Lyncs are still ranked behind Zillah. Rational?The Tri-district will again be tough, but 5 in the final 8 seems heavy. That said, 4 of those teams getting to Yakima seems plausible.Both Toledo and Kalama were solid squads last year and return big portions of their team -- no argument on their lofty rankings to open the year.Not one CTL team -- seems like there has to be one in the top 8. Cashmere was the team from there last year but lost a lot. Who is the favorite up there this year?
Just my thoughts....

FOH

What in the world are you ranking King's 8th for? its a known fact i'm from King's, but they should not be ranked. They lost their best shooter, best post player, and a great passer. Those three scored all their points. They might have some young talent on the team but their upperclassmen do not have the skill or experience to make a run in the end. They will be small this year and lack 3 dimensional players. They have shooters, they have drivers, they have defenders, but they don't have anyone who can do all 3. I won't comment on the other teams because I know absolutely nothing about them, some of my friends should take a lesson and not talk about politics.....

From what I remember Zillah was close until they lost Widner, They replace the seniors they lost with Calhoun and some other young talent and I don't believe they lost that much in the seniors that graduated, McKay was a help but I believe that Pascal was a distraction. Slack should pick up some slack and he is hard to stop with his speed and mid range jumper. Just my prediction and maybe some wishful thinking.

I saw Cashmere play some this summer and it wasn't pretty, I hope they had some kids missing otherwise they are going to have a long season.

I put Kings in because I needed an 8th team and shut who doesn't like Kings, they usually perform well at the end of the year.

Should be another exciting one.

I saw King's a few times this summer and they looked to me like they were going to be one of the best teams in the state. They did have a lot of younger players but those players were good. I would have had them higher then eight in my rankings. I expect them to compete with Lynden Christian this year.

Also I think you are missing a few more of the west side teams. Both Cedar Park Christian and Meridian should be on that list.

Saw Belleview Chr. this summer at the Chelan tourney @ they got hammered every game.I assume they had everyone. Who would skip going to Chelan in the summer?

LC loses one starter, Wolffis, and returns 7 of top 8. They thoroughly handled Zillah. Widner would not have made 16 points difference. He probably would have made 4 points of difference. Pascal was really good, they would nothave gotten as far as they did without him, and Villanueva (don't think i spelled that right) was very underrated. When the reigning state champion returns 4 out of 5 starters, their first, second, fourth, and fifth leading scorers, and showed that they can handle the 2nd place team with ease, I'd say the number one spot is theirs to lose, and that it would take an awful lot to lose it.

Also, I think Seattle Academy should be in the top 5. Return literally everyone except a 2 ppg scorer off of a very talented team that lost in regionals to Cashmere. Theyre a dark horse and are as talented and athletic as any team in the state, if not more so. Meridian also I expect to be in the dome. Return 6 out of top 8 from team that lost in triple OT to said Seatlle Academy team in Tri's. Both these teams will definitely be better then Kings, Seattle Christian, and Bellevue Christian, and will challenge LC in Tri's.

LC deserves to be number one until someone else holds up the gold ball. Honestly other than that I haven't heard much from the westside.

From the CTL it's a 2 horse race IMO. Cashmere has a lot of talent and these kids have been playing together for many years now so I imagine they will come out fast with a possible untainted record as xmas rolls around. Then there's Chelan.. Struggled immensely last year after making it to the semis in 10'. However, this year they'll have Amsel Jr. who has been Cashmere's Achilles heel the last 3 years in fb and bb.

Should be a very fun season to watch and can't wait till March!

I'm a west-side guy and i totally agree that Seattle Academy should be in the top five. They were very strong last year even with a young roster. They return a tall shooter who is also a threat to drive to the basket and a very athletic post player not to mention an abundance of solid role players. Bellevue Christian and Kings should be nowhere near the top eight both teams graduate many starters. King's graduates five seniors and Bellevue christian graduates four senior starters i believe and they are left with six foot nine post Vandenbrink who is getting over a knee injury, which will slow him down but he has been a starter since he was a freshman so he will have a large impact still. But other then him, their roster is young and inexperienced. Cedar Park Christian will be a force this year. Only graduating a few seniors they return four starters. One guy about six foot six and is a threat to drive, post up, and lights out from the three point line. I saw Cedar Park play at the Bellevue College fall league where they took on schools like Kentwood, woodinville, Garfield, and ranier beach. They look very quick, have good size, and athletic. A team to watch-out for and i believe should be in this top 8 this upcoming season. I don't know much about the east side schools but saw last years state championship game. My prediction is:
1. Lynden Christian
2. Zillah
3. Kalama
4. Seattle Christian
5. Seattle Academy
6. Cedar Park Christian
7. Cascade Christian
8. Meridian

Norm -- Why the lofty ranking for SCS? I know they return Miller, but lost most of the rest of their rotation. Not disagreeing, just curious....

BCS did lose a lot and I agree they will need to organize something around the big guy. Kings had a lot of young guys last year and I think they will be better than last year by the end of the season.

FOH

I mostly placed that prediction around the fact that miller is returning. He is able to produce a lot of offense a very talented player. But I agree that it may be a little high of a prediction. Nobody really knows what will happen til the season that why it is just a prediction. It should be a very exciting basketball season and i am looking forward to the first games of the season. I think the Nisqually League will be very competitive this year with Seattle Christian, Cedar Park Christian, Cascade Christian, and Bellevue Christian (who we cannot count out due to their experienced coaching). Each time these four schools face off it will be a very competitive game.

The King's Knights deserve the #2 spot. They are returning a 6'7" junior center who can dunk with his elbows, drain NBA 3's for days, has a 39" vert, and reminds me very much of Lebron James..... He is also very skilled at throwing phones.... could come in handy. Knights should have an easy time getting to state if he can keep his mind on basketball and off of his plethera of lady friends. I recently witnessed him dunking from the free throw line.

About King's, yes they lost three of there starters and top players but they will make it to state easily and be a top contender. I doubt anyone in the state has a harder work ethic than PG, Brian Hughes. Caleb Taylor will be a great scorer and defender. Reid Jones has tons of potential. All there freshmen now have a year of experience. Along with the great coaching of Coach Skeen they will always be ready to play. I guarentee Caleb Taylor and Brian Hughes will make the all 1A team and 1st team cascade conference while winning the cascade conference.

SC probably a little high at #4 but other then that I like your rankings. Personally I even think Toledo and Seattle Academy should be ahead of Zillah, but I could end up wrong. I think we can all agree that Lynden Christian is #1 until decisive proof otherwise.

Two things to consider.

1. The cascade conference is one of if not the worst sports league in the state.

2. King's will probably win the conference by a wide margin.

Are you talking about all sports or just basketball? I already got my arguments ready for either one just let me know which ones to use.

I'm too lazy to argue and it really doesn't matter, but Murphy and lakewood have been good at football, soccer is good, basketball is on the rise for the conference as a whole, XC is always good Track is always good. Volleyball is usually good. I don't wanna get facts to support it so i know my opinion wont hold up, sorry im lazy, if ur gunna rip me up, don't spot pick facts, show at least the last 5 years thats what im lookin at.

Perfect example is tonight. Kings is far and away supposed to be the best basketball team in the cascade league yet only beats one of if not the worst teams in a not so good seamount league by 10 and it looks like kings was losing going into the fourth quarter. I predict Kings will go undefeated in league maybe even in the regular season based on their non conference. I doubt there is a league game for them within 15-20 points this year.

This post was edited on 11/29 12:02 AM by soarovertherest

Cedarcrest will win the League. Kings will have no answer for Zach Taylor and Corpus, two guards who will tear Kings' guards up.

Looks like soarovertherest just lost all credibility on the subject of 1A basketball/Kings and the cascade conference. King's plays SA tomorrow, a highly touted team. They also play CPC next week I believe, another team who could be very good this year. Then I am sure they will play in a tough christmas tournament against good 3A/4A teams where they will likely lose a game. Now for the Cascade Conference. Cedarcrest will no doubt be very good and if Sultan shows up to play they will be hard to beat. I don't see King's going undefeated this season let alone in league.

Even though I think kings will go undefeated in league and have no close games in league and will probably only lose one or two regular season games all year I will go along with the idea that cedarcrest is the best team in the cascade league. Cedarcrest just lost to interlake the bottom feeder of kingco 2a/3a. If the best team in cascade can't beat the worst team in another mediocre league then I don't know how you can say that the cascade league isn't the worst league in the state.

I just think you're really overestimating a team full of sophmore guards to go undefeated in that league. A league where Cedarcrest has two guards, Taylor and Corpus, who will tear Kings' sophmore's up. And also Sultan, who actually has a decent squad. Undefeated is hard to do and I don't care what league you are in. It isn't going to happen.

"I won't comment on the other teams because I know absolutely nothing about them"

If you know absolutely nothing about other teams then why NOT rank King's 8th, since you know nothing...

I don't know a lot about those teams up north except Bellevue Christian. They do have the big guy back, but from what I saw this summer, they don't have anyone to complement him or get him the ball. Unless they had several kids move in this fall, they will be down. As far as down south, it will be quite interesting. Kalama has 4 starters back and the first couple kids off the bench from last yr. This is a group of kids who've played together for 6 yrs and will be tough. LaCenter has 4 starters back, two 6'6 kids and all their best guards back plus a new coach. Then at Toledo, Scott Merzoiane has reloaded. The younger Rakoz played a ton of ball with a team out of Portland this summer and grew another 11/2 inches, pushing 6'8 with guard skills but strong around the basket. And Trafelet is back, 6'4/5 and has gotten a lot stronger, played a bunch this summer with a team out of Vancouver, a very good outside/in player. Saw both these kids this summer and both playing above the rim now. Both these kids were averaging over 20 per game and really complement one another. The rest of the team, they're 8 deep, is very balanced, a bunch of basketball junkies that can all shoot it. They had a great summer playing teams from a variety of classifications. And they have Scott Merzoiane as a coach and he's a good one. They will face some challenges early as Rakoz rolled up an ankle last week and is doubtful till about the 10th of Dec and his cousin Lakota Rakoz rolled his up last weekend and will probably miss a couple of games. There's also a couple of very decent teams to fill out District 4 south so it will be a very competitive league. Up north in District 4 you have Hoquim. They've been hanging their hats on this group of seniors for a long time. They're the 2nd biggest 1A school in the state and have a good group of athletes coming back. Several kids that are 6'5 and athletic, a couple of really good guards to round them out, and a decent bench. They could very easily be playing in the district 4 championship game. For what it's worth, Toledo beat Kalama, Zilla, and Meridian this summer and I heard they all had their full complement of players. As I said for what its worth. But I know that for any team to make it to the state tourney, it's going to be a dogfight on the west side of the mountains to see who gets there.

Just because i know nothing about other teams does not mean i don't know enough about basketball to know King's is not a top 10 team. That being said, they played an good game (based on the score) against a top 10 team in SA. If the coaching is good, they could be a top 10 team by the end of the year but right now i don't think they are.

"I know nothing about other teams"
"king's played an good game against a top 10 team"
"I don't think they are a top 10 team"

Interesting logic. Thanks a bunch and keep up the great work buddy!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT