ADVERTISEMENT

4A Preseason Poll

CougarMVP

May 16, 2009
Here is the pre-season poll for 4A boys from the Tacoma News Tribune. Thoughts?

Preseason Poll

BOYS
CLASS 4A
1. Federal Way*
2. Gonzaga Prep
3. Todd Beamer
4. Kentwood
5. Walla Walla
6. Ferris
7. Jackson
8. Garfield
9. Lincoln
10. Decatur
This post was edited on 11/27 10:11 PM by CougarMVP

Originally posted by REPyourTEAM:
I'd like to see Ike on this list. Lopez, Bonser and company will do work!

I remember the Ike Cadets at state last season. It will be interesting to see if they made it back this in 2010.

I know this looks disrespectful, and I am not meaning it to be. They have a very solid club this season for certain.

However, if Gonzaga Prep is the second best 4A team in the state this year, then I will eat my proverbial hat.

I'm not even sure they are the second best team in the GSL, let alone the entire state..............

Prep will be favored to win the GSL. They have some issues at guard but there's nobody in the GSL who can defend Nicholas.

Mead will give them a scare but at the end of the season, it will be the Bullpups carrying the banner to the state tourney.

GP is going to be fine. You would hate to have a team that is peaking this early in the season and as time goes on they will fill in the holes that are missing. I doubt any team is playing that solid of ball right now with many teams bringing in football players etc.
GP proved they are for real by winning the Gonzaga team camp this summer, beating some very good competition in the process.
I for one am looking forward to a more competitive league which will provide more interesting games. Hated to see GP roll teams all year by 20+, that doesnt do anyone any good.
So keep that hat ready, you may need it.

Again, I am not bashing Prep. Nicholas is an outstanding post player and will be extremely difficult for any team to contain this year. He is without question the best player in the GSL and one of the top 5 in the state.

However, if I'm not mistaken, he is the ONLY returning starter from last season. And, by the way, there is the fact a new H.C. is running the show. Not knocking the guy, just saying it is an "unknown" which might not have a positive impact on the team (as opposed to still having the continuity of Haugen).

Spokaloo, I didnt think you were bashing G-Prep. You do have good points, a new coach is certainly an unknown but I think Coach M will do a good job, he has "new" energy, a youthfull approach to the game and he bleeds Blue and White. He is fortunate to have Nicholas as his court leader, it will make his first year a smooth transition.
What I like about GP is their size. Their starting lineup goes 6'3, 6'5, 6'4, 6'7 and 6'7. Kelly, Sarbaugh both got a lot of minutes last year and should be ready to mature quickly into a starting role. Having the other big kid, Hopkins, will force teams to respect the paint allowing Nicholas to do what he does best, attack the basket from the perimeter. Plus Nicholas wont have to guard the post which takes a lot of energy, he can sag and guard a high post player or wing and save strength for the offensive end.
Also there is a kid, TJ who is a pretty decent point guard. He will allow the backcourt a few different looks and take some ball handling pressure off Sarbaugh.

I will admit they dont look like a #2 team in the state right now, but I am confident they will make it there and then who knows.
The question you should be asking is how in the world is Ferris ranked #3? Not that they are a bad team but they are size challanged and the last game they played was in the championship of the GU camp this summer where they were beaten by 30 by GP. I would think of the two teams they have more to prove, at least you know that Prep produced last year.

Heres to a great season, good banter and the safety of all who compete.

It will be a great Regional with the GSL and CBL..the CBL has 5-6 really solid 4A schools..and 4 are in the same side of the league..guard play will be huge come post season time..

The CBL has 5-6 solid teams? Who are they, as I am only familiar with W Hi and Ike being solid (coming off state berths last year).

Throw in Kamiakin..who start all underclassmen and with Rada and Anderson are going to be tough but maybe a year away.. and Richland with Calvin Douglas are pretty solid..it may be another year when the GSL only gets one berth to state,if that.. can't forget about Davis and Wenatchee as well..JMHO

Re: 4A Preseason Preschmeeson......

BORN A COUG,

THE TOE DOES NOT PUT MUCH STAKE IN PRESEASON POLLS, THEY ACCOUNT FOR TOO MUCH PAST PERFORMANCE AND N0T ENOUGH ON THE INTANGIBLES OF A YEARS RESPITE AND CHANGE....WITH THAT SAID, THIS POLL IS MISSING A FEW TEAMS IF FED-WAY AND G-PREP ARE REALLY AND LEGITIMATELY A 1-2 CONTENDER. CAUSE WHAT I SAW LAST NIGHT AT THE CHARGER-DOME WAS A VERY BEATABLE EAGLE TEAM, A COLD RIM IS ALL THAT KEPT THE CHARGERS AT BAY AND FROM TAKING THIS ONE TO THE BANK. A VERY GOOD GAME ON BOTH SIDES OF THE COURT. FEDWAY IS A LARGE AND FAST TEAM, KR HAS REINVENTED THEMSELVES AGAIN, GO FIGURE..... K-WOOD IS GONNA HAVE TO WAIT A MONTH BEFORE THEY REALLY KNOW THE EXTENT OF SMITHS' ABILITY, I JUST DIDN'T SEE ENOUGH RANGE ON HIS MOTION WHEN HE SAT IN ON THE KR-FEDWAY GAME TO GIVE ME MUCH IN THE WAY OF READY TO PLAY IN A WEEK, STILL FAVORING THAT KNEE. BUT K-WOOD IS NOT A ONE MAN TEAM, OR ARE THEY. TIME WILL TELL. G-PREP COACH FEW WAS IN THE HOUSE AS WELL...ALLOT OF PEOPLE FROM OUTSIDE OF KR INTERLOPING AND LURKING. THEY GOT A LOOK AT A VERY GOOD GAME FOR SO EARLY IN THE YEAR. FEDWAY WILL NOT BE LOOKING FORWARD TO GAME TWO AGINST KR WHEN IT COMES THEIR WAY. GRANTED IT WAS HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE FOR THE PONIES.....THE TOE LIKES TO LURK THE ROUNDBALL A BIT. AT LEAST FROM THIS VANTAGE POINT, IT APPEARS YOUR TOP TEN IS AT LEAST MISSING ONE SPSL EARLY CONTENDER. BUT YOU CANNOT WIN THE NEXT GAME BY READING THE PRESS ON YOUR PAST PERFORMANCE, AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH !!!

I LOOK FORWARD TO ALLOT MORE ROUNDBALL BEFORE THIS EVEN GETS CLOSE TO SEEING WHO REMAINS IN YOUR TOP TEN LIST AS POSTED.....COULD BE YOU ARE NOT SEEING 3-4 OF THEM COME PLAYOFFS....THAT TOE IS ONE LOONEY TUNE SITTING ON THE BACK SEAT.

KEEP US INFORMED ON THE IMMORTAL ESCAPADES OF THE EAST SIDE---COACH FEW GOT A FIRST HAND LOOK AT TWO CONTENDERS ON THIS SIDE LAST NIGHT!!!

THANKS FOR THE SHORT READ, NO FOOTBALL AND THE TOE IS EASILY AMUSED !!

BORN A COUG, DIE A COUG....THAT IS A TOE ORIGINAL----CLASS OF '78...

THE TOE

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT