ADVERTISEMENT

Bellingham High School

borderite2000

Sep 2, 2004
Heard that they aren't 2A anymore for football? Their schedule has a bunch of smaller schools on it too. Anybody know what's going on?

They are still a part of the NWC 2A playing an independent schedule. This was to allow them competitive games while keeping the football program alive. It also allowed the NWC 2A schools still 4 playoff seeds to play-in games. There was an article about it in the Lynden Tribune 3 or 4 weeks ago.

Is that a new thing that the WIAA allows? I played at Blaine back when we had 17 guys on the team and we still played a league schedule. I don't recall hearing that we ever had that option (and it probably would have been a good thing for us).

This might be up to the conference instead of the WIAA. That is only a guess on my part, though.

I've scene this scenario at different schools in different states. This is a result of "communities" no longer being communities with teenagers in their school. In other words, over-abundant single parent families, drug and alcohol abuse, unemployment, and other social obstacles facing High School families. It is no longer cool, for 15-18 year old boys, to make a commitment to sports and school work. The sport of football requires this commitment. Rather than Bellingham HS taking a long term strategy, they are taking a risker, short term route, by playing a Independent schedule. By playing a creampuff schedule loaded with 1A and 2B opponents, they create artificial success by going 5-4 this season. They played a couple of games against their NWC rivals, but got defeated handily.

This strategy only works, if there is a much bigger, behind the scenes plan to reach out and deal with the social ills effecting the community. Good luck to the volunteers, parents, and community leaders in solving "the issues" facing this part of Whatcom County.

ADVERTISEMENT