ADVERTISEMENT

CWAC district format

lightsout_tony

Feb 16, 2007
Just curious about opinions regarding the "new" play-in format for the CWAC district tournament. I really dislike it, but am glad they kept the 8 team format albeit a modified one. Any thoughts?

The third and fourth seeds from each side have to play a cross over (4 South v. 3 North and 4 North v. 3 South) on Nov. 8 at the higher seed to make it into double elimination play. So right out of the door you eliminate 2 teams. Win-in teams then play the #2 seed on the 13th. #1 seeds don't begin district play until Nov. 15 when they face the winner of the #2 seed vs. play in game winner. Essentially, #1 seeds only need 1 win at distric to secure a state berth. While it will take nothing short of a miracle to get a 3 or 4 seed into a berth.

Wow! When did that change take place? Did the coach's do this or the AD's? It certainly gives the advantage for the higher seeds, which I guess they earned it, but does make it very tough for a lower seed to make it in.

I agree with the king. The number ones should have the easier route to state because of the bulk of the work during the regular season. The nice part about playing your way in could be that you get on a bit of a roll. There is always one draw that is a bit better too. Peaking at the end of the season is what we all strive for. Maybe that "miracle" is just around the corner???

Re: SCAC Format

In the SCAC the #1 and #2's have to travel to the main sight for their first round match vs the #3 and #4 on Tuesday. They get no reward for placing first or second. (a trophy I guess) Seems like a big waste of money as the expenses to have 7 schools travel versus 4 schools would be higher. They finish the tourney on Saturday.

I think the home gates would be more for the 4 schools as they have their home base. Not as many fans from the other 7 schools will make the trek for 1/4 or 2/3 match probably. Football gets to have a home game and so do Boys and Girls BB. Doesn't quite seem fair. Wonder if any of the AD's have even taken time to think about the inequity of it. Time for the coaches to have some input maybe.

My fingers are crossed...I dont mind the 1 seeds getting a much deserved break but as a coach who will probably always fight for the #3 or #4 seed into districts it does make me have to earn my $$. To answer King I believe it was voted on by the AD's (I am going to give some props to my AD who brought the proposal to his coaches and fought for us...we lost...but he at least tried). I believe that the basketball format will be similar except it will be 5 playing 8, 6 and 7 playing in.

Finally saw the bracket, and I don't know that I would like to be one of those #1 seeds either. They don't play for 11 days. With that amount of time off they may not be as ready to go as the teams that play during that time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT