ADVERTISEMENT

CWAC midseason review

Flat Back 4

Nov 5, 2006
Season playing out just as I predicted in an earlier thread....

East Valley is dominant. The race is to see who is the 2nd best team. East Valley is legitimate final four team. However, keep an eye on Pullman and Cheney, both of which will give EV all it can handle in first or second round of State.

Othello has been good, but not great. Lindsay Garza is a standout. Team still plays way too direct. Without greater degree of ball possession, team can't compete with the best in the state. Loss of Kirkwood to cross-country was huge.

Ellensburg: surprise of the year has been the younger Farrand girl (Kellin). Very strong play as a frosh.

Selah: Sharayah Ott is a very talented midfielder. Fun to watch. Selah is not as good this year as last year though.

Prosser: Peterson is a dominant player, and she has a good supporting cast. Nice coaching as well. In my view, Prosser is the 2nd best team in CWAC.

Ephrata: I called it. Lots of talented players but downright horrible coaching. Team is doomed to mediocrity until coaching change occurs. Will finish fourth in CWAC North, with only Quincy beneath them.

Quincy: Making strides. Kala Brindle is a very talented frosh.

Grandview: some good, young talent. Will these young players put in the work (club ball) in the off-season? Doubtful.

Wapato/Toppenish: no comment

EV is by far the best team in the CWAC. Loaded with experience. start 9 good senior soccer players. Have some really talented sophs too!

Prosser is well coached. Peterson, Moore and Wilson make an exceptional trio up front. I think when it is all said and done...they will get to state with that second seed.

Selah is very physical. The Ott sisters are very good.Might not have the overall skill as in yeas past, but they will battle for a spot to state.

Othello was lucky to get out of Grandview with a W last Saturday. They are gritty and Garza is a good one. They have a few bigger girls with some exceptional foot work.

Ellensburg has some fantastic offensive punch. Lacking overall depth. Could surprise at Districts.

Wapato has the Cordova girl and one other real nice player. Not much coming up through the ranks. Big game this Saturday against Grandview. Last time these 2 played it must have been 95 degrees. This time it might be 25 degrees lol.

Ephrata plays hard but is lacking depth this year. I don't know enough about coaching to comment Flatback, so I'll stand clear.

Grandview is scrappy. Matheny and Trinadad are frosh and have had exceptional years. These two continue to play club ball and it shows. Only 2 seniors (1 first year player) Another strong class coming in next year.

Quincy will only get better with young talent...ala Grandview.

Top-Hi has the fastest girl in the league...but are struggling. Rebuilding year for the wildcats.

Clank:

In response to my contention that Prosser is well coached this year, you wrote as follows: "Prosser is well coached."

In response to my contention that Ephrata is struggling yet again because of coaching issues, you wrote, "I don't know enough about coaching to comment..."

Hmmmm.....you are apparently capable of identifying "good coaching" but are incapable of identifying "poor coaching"? I doubt it. If you can identify good coaching you can identify poor coaching.

Ephrata is lacking depth this year. Simple reason: a number of key players refused to turn out this year because of the coach.

Glad to hear that a couple of youngsters from Grandview are involved in club soccer. Hopefully the trend will continue as the success of any high school soccer team is correlated to the number players who participate in club soccer.

Quincy will improve only if youngsters in the community are actively involved in club soccer. Whether the current group of freshman is a "blip" or a long-term change of culture remains to be seen.

I must rephrase that...I don't know enough about the ephrata coaching to comment. Only have seen this coach in action for one game...that's all.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT