ADVERTISEMENT

EV to the Final Four

Nov 24, 2007
EV makes to the final four again this year. Great year EV. Prove the newspapers from the other side of the mountains wrong and take state championship.

GO EV!

“I don’t think there is anybody on the other side (eastern bracket) that could beat anyone of the District 1 teams. Its a great conference and District 1 is an absolute powerhouse.”

Copied right from The Hearld Newspaper from Everett Washington

That quote was from an ignorant coach and printed in the local paper that covers teams in District 1. It is not what the newspaper staff was saying. But if you need bulletin board material to motivate then I guess you have it.

btw...the coach quoted above and his team were eliminated in the quaterfinals.

Will be interesting to see how EV does on a larger field and on Turf. But we must remember good players will rise to the level and need of the match.

well said, sirama. east valley definitely had the advantage playing on a regular-grass field that was narrower and much more "uneven" than a turf field.

that being said, however, the east valley girls did what they needed to do to be successful, just like they have all season. they truly are outstanding!

Size of the field less of problem than the surface of the field. If EV were facing a team that routinely played on turf, they would be at a big disadvantage. However, I believe Cheney plays all of its league games on grass as well.

EV backline will be tested. Cheney's star forward (last name starts with Z) is a very special player. EV has not faced someone of her caliber yet.

Our field is a postage stamp size. . . however we can adjust to the larger field, other teams have problems adjusting down. Turf. . . just has a different bounce to the ball--our girls can handle it. However, troubles on the EV team--players off doing stupid actions this past week-end that could put the top spot just out of our reach. WE might have big heart, but will need to pull together to make it to the top 2. Team work girls. . . it got you this far!

Wasn't a school function that poor choices were made at, and the focus for the team at school/practice this week hasn't the great job we have done thus far and we have 2 more steps to reach our goal. . . but what a great job we have done AND now let's regroup to get to the podium. Focus on what is ahead and how to get there--with a bit of new strategizing. . . we can be in the final two on Saturday. Go Lady Devils!!

You wrote "that needs to come out." You have the floor........we are waiting for it to come out......

"Turf...just has a different bounce to the ball." You obviously have not played soccer much.

Yes, the ball bounces differently, but that is not the problem. The problem has to do with the speed the ball rolls. Players who spend all season on grass become accustomed to hitting a pass with a certain degree of strength. It takes some time to reprogram the brain regarding the weight of the pass. Also, balls cannot be played into space as easily because they run. Players have to adjust on how much to lead a player with a pass. Last, the turf exposes any technical deficiencies in terms of receiving the ball. A player who can get away with a poor first touch on grass will be unable to do so on turf; the ball rolls away from the player quickly.

Hopefully EV had the opportunity to practice on turf prior to the game.

The girls have been practicing at Royal this week and should get time on friday so they have had some time playing on turf. Girls play hard you are a great bunch of girls full of talent you can do it..

I bow to your better explaination to the "feel of turf" flat back 4, and I 100% agree that if players coming from grass fields used for both football and soccer, the ebb and flow of a turf field can be a challenge. Luckily, we got some time on a field and our girls will "handle" the turf well. As for not playing soccer much. . . why yesterday I was kicking the ball aroud. . . however putting me in a uniform and out on a field with a ball. . . let's say that was in the previous century.
wink.gif

Nice write up today for Devils (and Rams), will be looking forward to the game on Saturday. . . whatever time it is! Go Devils!!

lol, devil, for that ghastly image! (just joking of course. thank goodness the lady devils hopefully won't need your magic to get the win tomorrow over on the west side)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT