ADVERTISEMENT

Granger vs. Brewster

I have not seen Brewster but I understand they are young. Granger is quick and effective in a helter skelter style game. If Brewster lets this game get real up tempo it could be trouble for them...I believe if Brewster can control the pressure and the tempo of the game then they will win. If the game gets to the run and gun style, then Granger will win.

This time of year it seems teams still playing tend to control tempo and defend the transition better. Is it that they are faster, are in better shape are they just better at getting back on defense? Are they watching a lot of film and see transition tendencies? What do they make in tradeoffs? Do they sacrifice offensive rebounding or additional cuts to the basket on an offensive board? Or are defenders that typically turn it around and get out in transition on CoP having to stay home due to better offensive rebounding? I'm curious how a Brewster type team can be effective at slowing down a Granger type team.

The first thing Brewster needs to do is hit the boards. If Granger controls the boards, it could be a long day for the Bears.
This post was edited on 2/20 11:58 AM by Warrant3

I haven't seen Brewster play, are they a big team or are they small? I will say this though, don't try to run with Granger!

Granger does not have a true big guy... So pretty much anyone that gets a rebound for them can just take off with the ball and start the transition...They also have a tendancy to release one or two guards early, which forces your guards to get back early, thus opening up the rebound lanes and allows them to use quickness to get the rebounds and not rely on size or technique that they dont have. During their district title game last week, we were commenting on how many times the rebound actually got to the floor before being touched...3 or 4 times that happened. This strategy can get a team really spread out and vulnerable to early offense. I definately agree with earlier comments. The obvious,"make alot of shots", control the boards, and get back in a hurry and with organization. Zillah played that fast tempo with Granger with real good success, The Leopards are pretty experienced though and it seems that they can play fast when they need to or they can slow it down a bit if they need to. Im just not that familiar with the make up of the Brewster squad. Maybe they can run with the Spartans. But unless they are real used to a real fast tempo, they would be better suited to slowing the game down a bit i think.

You definitely want to slow the tempo with Granger. They are continually a run and gun team, and havn't responded well in the past to teams that slow it down, which is why I think they've underrachieved a bit in the State Tourney in the past

Brewster lost all 6 games to the top 3 in the CTL. If Granger struggles at all they have no business playing in the sun dome. Brewster is young and will need a season or two to finish recruiting this team. So far they just have the one Issaqua kid.

Brewster was a fourth place team in the CTL all year, luckily cashmere got upset by lakeside in the first round of districts causing brewster to have an easy road to the #2 seed. From what i have heard granger is nothing like it has been in the past. ill take granger by ten due to brewsters youth

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT