ADVERTISEMENT

Hoping to get this site going again, read this!

the_boz

Oct 31, 2014
Hello, I am not a well known member on here because I just lurked for about 4 years before making an account and then rarely posting. I know how lively this board used to be, and it was a lot of fun back in the days when Mike Sr. got involved and col-pul would be hilariously sarcastic.

Do you have a team that you have been following and feel that you know very well for the last few (or more) years? Of course you do.

So, to get things going, here is the challenge. The team you know so well? Rank the teams and give a little snippet of why it is ranked where... A top 5? 10? 50? I don't care, post something. I will rank my top 10 Colville teams from 2006-present when someone has posted their list.

Well if you want rankings I guess I could do the Evergreen 1A/2A league......in say the last 5 years I would have it as this......
1. Montesano - won state a few years ago and always have a great team year in and year out
2. Hoquiam - Have had some great teams in the past especially a few years ago when they had the state track champs on the team.....
3. Tenino - Can't say much about them, but they always have a tough team and can win on any given Friday night
4. Eatonville - Some what of a newer team to the Evergreen but were league champs a year ago.....
5. Elma - The Eagles are hit and miss as of lately, they seem to be moving forward but then taking some steps back (not having a home field might play a factor here)
6. Rochester (2A) - Always a tough team and will give you a great game every time.....
7. Aberdeen (2A) - It's been tough for the Bobcats for a little while now, seems whenever they show some improvement the next week its gone.......
8. Forks - Seem to always get roughed up every week.......have to travel quite a ways regardless of who they play on the road and other teams have the same issue when they have to go there.......

Cool, I am an eastisde guy so it is cool hearing about teams outside of the top few.

I will rank the top 9 Colville teams from 2006-this year

1) 2014 - Last year's squad supplanted the 06 team by coming within inches of winning the state championship. Led by an all senior offense and several 3 year starters, they had an absolutely dominating year until the final. Key players: the entire senior class.

2) 2006 - The senior class for this team was in the mid 20's, a very high number for an at the time 2A school.. It was the John Roberts show, probably the best running back prospect to play at Colville. This team lost in the school's first ever quarterfinal appearance after beating Othello in what would be 3 years in a row meeting this team in the round of 16.

3) 2010 - This team was the first Colville team to play "down" in 1A. With a few 3 year starters who had been successful at 2A, they ran through league play undefeated before losing to Cashmere in the play-in game. Key seniors were Sjordal, Bardwell, and Morgan.

4) 2007 - This team still held the winning pedigree from the breakout 06 team. Many of the same players who were backups were now capable starters. Finished 9-3 and lost to Othello after defeating them the year prior.

5) 2008 - This team was known as the cardiac kids. They had 3 or 4 overtime games in a row, and won all but one of them. They had a solid overall season and finished at 7-4, made the playoffs and lost to Othello for the 2nd of 3 years in a row.

6) 2013 - The year after the first letdown of a season in years, the 2013 team was a pleasant surprise, winning several close games and getting second in the GNL (2A). It would be a hint of what was to come for the next year, which featured the same core group of players.

7) 2009 - This team looked to be absolutely loaded on paper. Although they made the playoffs after a 3 way tie for the third spot, they had one of the most talented teams in years. 20 something seniors. After a tragic midseason injury to one of the leaders of the team, they had a rollercoaster season on their way to the round of 16.

8) 2011 - Although being second to last on the list, this team looked very well oiled on offense by the end of the season. One of the top running backs in recent memory, Colton Davis ran for over 200 yards in 5 of the final 6 games of the season. Team started 0-4 and finished 5-5 as league champions.

9) 2012 - The only team not to make the postseason on this list, the 2012 team took its licks while building for the future. Highlight was beating league champion Pullman in the muddy field at Colville for the last game of the season.

?) 2015 - The eye test gives this team a potential top 3 ranking with the way their defense plays. It will be interesting to see if they can keep up the high level of play when the pressure is on and the competition level is up.

TL;DR: 2014 is the best 2012 is the worst

Anyone else...?

East... West... I will have to put in the Central Washington perspective. if we are talking leagues in the past, it would be difficult to debate that any league in 1A is more competitive than SCAC. Between Connell and Royal the past 10 years, they have wrapped up 12 qtr final appearances, 10 semi appearances, and 8 final appearances with 4 state titles. This conference has been left out the last 2 years watching Colville and Freemen go to state, but they are looking to make a comeback . The eastside of the conference generally seems to be much stronger then the west side but Zillah keeps bringing a formidable team year after year even though last year is the first time they got past the first round of playoffs since they went to state in 2003. Outside these teams, Riverview has made some good attempts only to lose the qtr final game to Connell in 2009 who went on to win state, and a loss in the semi-final round to Royal by a field goal in 2012.

2007 was the high point, when Royal beat CC 43-14 and Connell beat Monte 51-14 in the semi's only to make a grueling match at state.
2006 was close behind, Connell beat Monte 28-21 and Royal lost to Meridian 13-7 in the semi-finals. Meridian won this state title by 2 feet, tackling the running back inside the 1yd line as time ran out. (27-22)
So which team in the SCAC is the best team??? flip a coin. One of these two team are bound to show up at state this year.

ADVERTISEMENT