ADVERTISEMENT

Hoquiam vs. King's

JordanShawdley

Dec 7, 2011
Could we get some hotheads to start debating who's gunna win? It's fun and entertaining. My opinion is Hoquiam in a nail biter, 35-28

Well if Hoquiam shuts down the power air attack that King's is then I think Hoquiam will win this game, so I am going to go out on a limb and say 45-28 Hoquiam!!! Then if Monte wins then there is a regular season rematch!!!!!!!!

Only the weather will beat kings. Hoquiam has never seen a passing team like Kings. Kings jumps out a head 21-0 and hangs on 35 to 34.

I'm sure Hoquiam is legit, but no one in 1A has the kind of wins King's has. If it turns out to be a monsoon I give the Grizzlies a punchers chance. If not, I have to go with King's

King's Green has shown that he can pass or run the ball. That being said I don't think anyone can slow him down. Kings has other guys that Green can go to when he has to. KINGS 45 HOQUIAM 7

Don't forget that Hoquiam pretty much seen this same King's team last year in the first round up at King's home turf, so Hoquiam knows exactly what they are going up against..........So if there is a major monsoon this weekend here on the Harbor then we know that King's air attack will be off, so I will say that Hoquiam will take this game! Hoquiam 45 King's 28

P.S. Tenino is the closest team to the air assault that King's has and look at what Hoquiam did to them!!! I will be honest and say I haven't heard much of King's D so this could be the match up of the playoffs so far!

Also on a side note King's average scoring is 47.2 and their D gives up 15.6 points per game while Hoquiam's average scoring is 51.7 and their D gives up 5.7 points per game! The most that Hoquiam has given up this year has been 14 and that was to Montesano, the next most was 13 to Centralia, so the Hoquiam D can shut teams down!!!!
This post was edited on 11/5 3:13 PM by king_griz06

Not to say that Hoquiam has played the likes of 2a Lynden, Atm, or Lakewood, but Kings did beat all 3 of them. They know how to win. The Lakewood game was raining hard and Kings still won 55 to 42.

This post was edited on 11/5 3:28 PM by LW-Observer

This post was edited on 11/5 3:30 PM by LW-Observer

As I mentioned above, I think both teams are legit. One big weapon King's has who is not talked about very often is Mason Friedline, the big D1 offensive lineman. This guy was offered by half of the Pac-12, before deciding to attend Yale.

Friedline is a beast for sure. But he doesn't always play like one. If he decides to bring it every play, he will be a nightmare.

Official word just came out that the game is this Friday night at 7pm at Hoquiam's Olympic Stadium! This surprised me since the stadium doesn't have artificial turf, but hey I'm not complaining that place is going to be rocking!!!!!

The district 4 head toured the field on Monday and gave the green light for the game to be played there, they will look at it again on Friday at noon to determine the final out come of it. Stewart field is already booked for 7 pm on Sat for the Raymond-Naselle game and then Tahola-Quilcene also play there on Saturday with a time to be determined. The WIAA has approved this site already as well baring the playing conditions meet standards. And to answer the question of covered stands, yes they have plenty of covered room.

http://thedailyworld.com/sections/sports/local/hoquiam-likely-face-king%E2%80%99s-olympic-stadium.html

If there is no field turf down south to play on i'd bet king's would be gracious enough to offer up their field to play on

Note the above link. Friday at Hoquiam unless Olympic Stadium doesn't pass inspection at noon on Friday.

The game is being moved to Saturday, Kings declined the Friday time, making it automatically move to Saturday.

http://thedailyworld.com/sections/sports/local/hoquiam-king%E2%80%99s-rescheduled-saturday.html

Yes things can change in three hours. I was trying to give a evidence to what previous people were talking about. Thanks for the note though.

smart move for Kings to have it on Saturday. It will be 10-15 degrees warmer than Friday night and the field will have some extra time to dry out. so the weather appears to have been dminished as a factor if the forecast holds out. hoquiam loses the first tactical battle.

Just like King's.......last year they complained that they had to come to Aberdeen to play Monte and the year before they did the same thing and Monte gave up 'home' field and went to Tumwater........last year Hoquiam declined the Friday night game yet still had to play it because King's was the 'higher' seed.............it should be up to the higher seed to determine the time and place that a game will be played end of story...............

Sure they complained about having to go to Aberdeen, but last year Hoquiam complained about having to come up to King's, no one wants to travel that far. And actually Monte wanted to play at Tumwater because it has far better seating. If Hoquiam had declined the Friday night game the game would not have been played on Friday night, it's the rules.... so clearly they didn't decline the Friday night game. Maybe it should be solely up to the higher seed but it isn't, end of story....

I am curious to know what the condition of the field has to be in order for there to be a change to another Stadium. Based on the video that showed the field and the stadium it actually looks like a great place to play. I would also think that the condition of the field could partly determine the outcome, but hopefully that is not the case. My guess is the groundskeepers for a field like that do a good job.

The stadium has had drainage problems in the past, but they put a better system in there a few years ago. It is a great place to play, baseball, football, soccer doesn't matter, everyone who has played there has always said great things about it. I do not see any reason why this game can't be played there on Friday night except King's throwing a fit, the field will be in perfect condition and the fans will pack it up! The stadium has the most seating in Grays Harbor with the option to add temp seating if needed. For example when Hoquiam and Aberdeen played their 100th game temp seating was brought in because of the fan demand for that game. So as I was saying the end result here is King's just wants to be King's and throw a fit, there is nothing wrong with Friday night, I'm sure they just don't want to be 'tired' from the travel for their game..........

Kings just wants an extra day to work out the defensive scheme to shut down Hoquiam. I'm sure that's why they opted for Saturday. :)

Actually I heard it was because they needed an extra day to recover from a zombie attack that infected half the football team. You might want to sue for unfair advantage cus i heard these zombies have increased speed.....

Ok, but actually... i take King's 35-28 because Hoquiam will eat clock with their run game but when it comes to the 2-minute drill with a tied ball game in the 4th quarter King's has an advantage and will make the game winning drive just like the Lynden game.

I'm sure Kings would love to play on field turf, since that's what their home field is AND it can play into their advantage of speed.

Of course, being an old-school player who played on championship high school teams in Iowa it seems funny to me all the requirements for "field turf" and such. We played in seeming mud bogs, frozen fields, torrential rain storms and some sub-freezing games. Those were great memories and I think filthy uniforms and the epic games showed the best overall team.

I understand about making fans "comfortable", but that is half the fun when you have a crazy fan base standing with umbrellas, ponchos, parka's and the like cheering on your teams. Finally, I do think they should have the games in the Tacoma Dome for the semi & finals, but let the homefield team actually have a homefield advantage, without regard to "field turf" or covered stands or any of the other drivel.

Finally, championship teams don't lobby for where to play their games. They show up, home or away, travels of hundreds of miles or not and they line up and win. Would love to see the same occur here.

Rainmaker: the game should be decided ON the field and not BY the field; the good ol' days had their charm, but why shouldn't teams lobby for better conditions if they exist? Coaches are remiss if they get to this level and don't make sure they are playing in good conditions and on a good field. The biggest issue with wet grass (as opposed to field turf) is keeping the ball dry. It is a lot harder to do when it is hitting a mud and wet grass.

Really? c'mon daretobe. Why would a power run team with the home advantage agree to play on a neutral turf field against a faster throwing team? It's called home field for a reason.

"On the field" and "by the field"? Really?

We want pristine conditions for everything today. How many of us grew up playing backyard football on field turf? How many of us worried about being in conditions that were anything less than perfect? This gamesmanship is frankly embarrasing.

Good teams will play in any conditions, but of course you will always have lobbying to play in conditions that benefit their teams strengths. As I said before and has been echoed, the team with homefield should be able to play at their field, as long as it has some sprigs of grass coming up. The idea that there has to be covered seating is a joke too. Unless the place is condemned I say let the home field team enjoy a home field advantage.

If a team wants to hose down the field to make it a bog then so be it. It a team wants to put dryers on a wet field to make it totally dry then so be it. The reality is that good teams will win wherever and in whatever and not complain about it.

BTW, I just checked and Iowa still does their state playoffs like when I was in school many decades ago. Home field teams play on their home fields (grass, muddy, mucky, field turf) or another place they choose all they way through to the semi-finals. The semis and finals are played in the covered Uni-Dome (home of the U. of Northern Iowa Panthers in Cedar Falls). I talked to a friend who lives there just now who laughed about the need to play on field turf focus here. Just saying...
This post was edited on 11/9 12:30 AM by Rainmaker2112

Rainmaker: I am already on record as saying the place looks like a great place to play and that the groundskeepers probably do a good job, so I am not saying they have to move it no matter what. But obviously there is enough concern on the part of District 4 to have already made contingency plans and if it were a mudpit, (and the rules allow for it, which they apparently do), I would advocate moving to another field. If the field is fine, they should play there; if it isn't, they should make other plans (which they already have done) . I also think that Hoquiam should try to do whatever they can to take advantage of home field. But I disagree that teams should be allowed to trash their own field for advantage in the state playoffs, but maybe they do things differently in Iowa. By the way, if Iowa was so great, why aren't you still there?

Honestly I agree with Rainmaker, the home team should have Home Field advantage no matter the circumstances. The only reason I could see moving the game to another field is if there is not enough seating for all people thats it. This whole bull of field turf for state playoff games just needs to go, too many people complaining about it, if it was so damn important then all fields in the state would have it to avoid bickering like this. Football is made to be played in all weather conditions on all field conditions period. If a team has a power running game and another has a power air game and the game is played in a downpour and the air team loses then was it the rains fault? This is becoming a moot point to argue anymore because when good teams lose its the playing field or the weather that gets blamed.......to me it seems like there are too many people making excuses now if king's loses, they lose so what MOVE ON

You can't control the weather. Big difference. I am sure the field will be fine.

Man, I thought 2A brackets were messed up with Lynden and Mark Morris playing each other and Capital and Lakewood playing each other in the first round. But undefeated, unanimous #1 Kings, with 3 victories over ranked 2A opponents, needs to go on the road to play another top 5 team in the state? Now THAT's messed up.

That's the result of Kings playing in a three-team 1A league that's part of a mostly 2A conference.

King's has the benefit of winning the weak three-team league (includes Coupeville and South Whidbey), but they give up the real benefits to the 6-team NWC 1A conference.

Kings got the Dist. 1 #2 seed, but ended up with the Dist 1/3 #3 seed. They will continue to have to be the lower seed in the future. Has nothing to do with how good they are and the result of being in a weak, small-number 1A conference.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT