ADVERTISEMENT

How Will Friday's Losers Bounce Back?

hoopgod

Jul 4, 2001
For the first time at these levels of basketball a team has lost a state game and can still win the gold ball! How will those teams that lost last night do today? Some are playing on a short turn around, should be interesting to see how it goes for them. Does the momentum of a win Friday help those teams today?

I've coached in the regional format back in the 80's. Played and lost the first game came back and beat a quality opponent on Saturday and one week later the regional championship repeated itself as we played the same team for the state championship.

You have to prepare your players for the possibility of losing and playing a survival game just as you do in the 16 team format....at any rate a mentally well prepared team will go about the business at hand and if they execute better than their opponent on Saturday we will see them in the finals.

Good thoughts. I agree the mental part is key. If a Thursday loser can come out with confidence and play aggressively (and not be down and overly nervous)they'll probably do as well as they can. Good luck to all of the teams today.

I 2nd the comment below ... I do believe they played this format for a spell in the 80's ..

On the boys' side the Friday losers went 13-11 across all classifications on Saturday. So, 11 teams were able to win twice on the weekend and advance. Nice work doing that.

On the girls' side the tally was 9-14 (missing results of 1B Colton v. SJE), but the 3A and 4A were 6-2. It looks like certain leagues in the smaller schools are more dominant, no surprise there, which leads to a team placing high in their own weaker district then losing to teams from a more dominant district.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT