ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting 1A Regular Season Matchups Remaining

FilmDoesn'tLie

Oct 11, 2012
Presenting... FilmDoesn'tLie's Interesting 1A Regular Season Matchups Remaining.

10 East & 10 West

Eastside

-----------

1/8 Chewelah(8-3) @ Medical Lake (8-4) NorthEast A

1/8 Granger (8-2) @ LaSalle(9-2) South Central - West

1/8 Okanogan (11-1) @ Chelan(8-2) CTL

1/11 Zillah(9-1) @ La Salle (9-2) South Central - West

1/26 Brewster(7-3) @ Chelan (8-2) CTL

1/26 La Salle(9-2) @ Granger(8-2) South Central - West

1/29 Medical Lake (8-4) @ Chewelah(8-3) NorthEast A

1/29 Okanogan (11-1) @ Brewster(7-3) CTL

2/1 La Salle(9-2) @ Zillah(9-1) South Central - West

2/1 Chelan (8-2) @ Okanogan (11-1) CTL

Honorable Mention

2/1 Brewster(7-3) @ Cashmere(6-5) CTL
(I would have liked to find a good South Central - East matchup)

Westside

------------

1/10 Hoquiam(9-2) @ Forks(8-1) Evergreen
1/11 Lynden Christian (8-3) @ Lynden(10-1) Northwest

1/15 Seattle Academy(10-0) @ UPrep(10-2) Emerald City

1/18 Archbishop Murphy(2A)(5-4) @ King's(9-3) Cascade

1/18 Kalama(8-2) @ Castle Rock(9-3) Trico
1/25 Toledo(11-1) @ Kalama(8-2) Trico

1/29 Cedar Park Christian(BOTHELL)(10-0) @ Cascade Christian(7-4) Nisqually

1/29 Forks(8-1) @ Tenino(8-3) Evergreen

1/31 Castle Rock(9-3) @ Toledo(11-1) Trico

1/31 Cedar Park Christian(BOTHELL)(10-0) @ CWA(7-2) Nisqually

Honorable Mention

2/1 Vashon(8-3) @ Eatonville(6-4) Nisqually

Best East/West Matchup

------------------------------------------

1/18 Chelan(8-2) @ Seattle Academy (10-0) CTL/Emerald City

Feedback with corrections omissions welcome. I wish all these would be Qwixcore'd.

First of all, thanks for putting the time. I don't expect the Lynden Christian vs Lynden matchup to be particularly interesting. Lynden boat raced the Lyncs last season, and I expect more of the same this year. If LC does hang around, I'll be impressed.

Not sure when this is, sometime in the next couple weeks though, but LC Meridian will be interesting also, for the westside. And tonight's LC Anacortes game.

Yes Warrant, tough task for the Lyncs, they ran into a buzzsaw in the Lions last year

A few weeks ago, I presented you with… "FilmDoesn'tLie's Interesting 1A Regular Season Matchups Remaining."

We have reached about the halfway point in my list, so I thought I would measure how it is going.

If I had to rate progress, probably got about 4/10 so far. There seems to be a wide disparity between teams at the top of their leagues this year. Nisqually continues to be a battle in the 2nd through 6th slots with a couple of decent teams left without a chair when the music stops before tri-districts. I wish I'd picked a few more of those games.

1/8 Chewelah 48 @ Medical Lake 38 NorthEast A

This was a defensive battle that was tied going into the final quarter. Johnstone and Smith were the difference makers. The Jenkins' team is blowing everybody out and has a nice winning streak going, so the rematch on the 29th should among the better games to see Chewelah who have been flying under the radar for the most part. It will be nice to see this team represent the NorthEast well in the post season.

1/8 Granger 58 @ LaSalle 47 South Central - West

Meh. Granger opened up a double digit lead by halftime. Granger's better matchup noted below.

1/8 Okanogan 71 @ Chelan 53 CTL

Okanogan is the real deal this year in CTL. Not sure how interesting this game was though. Joe Townsend scored 20 and Danny Parks hit some tough shots. The earlier 30 point loss that blemished their record is a credit to Cashmere whose game on the 29th vs. Chelan I should have listed here.

1/11 Zillah 78 @ La Salle 48 South Central - West

30 point blowout. I should have gone with the Zillah-Granger game the next night that had an exciting 3rd quarter.

1/10 Hoquiam 34 @ Forks 31 - Evergreen

This turned out to be a close but low scoring affair. Hoquiam avoided having to dwell on a tough loss on that long bus ride down the coast home. At least it was not as low scoring as tonight's rematch that must have been all defense or all turnovers at 29-21.

1/11 Lynden Christian (8-3) @ Lynden(10-1) Northwest

Despite some comments that this should not be on this list, the LC Lyncs really showed up for this game, which turned out to be one of the best Northwest conference matchups of the year. I was just lucky.

1/15 Seattle Academy 55 @ UPrep 30 Emerald City

Other than the Chelan matchup, I added this one because this was the most competition the Emerald City League was going to offer SAAS. U-Prep was held under 10 points in every quarter.

1/18 Archbishop Murphy(2A) 65 @ King's 59 Cascade

I couldn't find a tough 1A matchup remaining for King's and wanted to include them since they were in the top 10. Guess, I found one in ABM despite King's being favored. ABM had balanced scoring with 5 guys in double figures all around 11 or so points.

1/18 Kalama 63 @ Castle Rock 42 Trico

I Kongratulate Kalama on the Konvincing win vs. Kastle Rock. Great team deserving of a top 10 slot. Great TriKo matchup.

1/18 Seattle Academy 58 Chelan 42 @ Emerald City/CTL

Seattle Academy has not faced many tests in the Emerald City regular season that will prepare them for the likes of Lynden Christian and Cedar Park in tri-districts. This matchup versus Chelan helped a little as the CTL will not be pushovers this year.

I'll recap the remainder at the beginning of next month.

Just an update to bring you up to speed on the southern part of the state. In the south Trico, the next big matchup is Toledo at Kalama on Fri. Kalama won the first contest at Toledo by 15. It wasn't a pretty game for the Indians as they only shot 23% and Kalama was shooting 57% going into the last frame. The Rakoz kid was in his frst full game back after missing the first 4 games due to a high ankle sprain, and Merzoiane slowly worked him back into the rotation. He picked up his 2nd foul at the end of the first qrt after scoring 8 and then Kalama went on a 12-0 run to finish out the half to go up 16. There really wasn't a bright spot anywhere else for Toledo in that game except the game was played evenly the rest of the way out. I think the next matchup between these two will be much improved but I still give the nod to Kalama. They have everybody back from a team that went to state last yr and have all the tools to play into the post season again. Toledo's big challenge will be to get their 2 soph to play up with Kalama's seniors and hit their shots. The last game, Toledo was shooting so poorly, Kalama doubled the Rakoz kid everywhere and didn't even guard one player and no one else stepped up. Someone will have to this time and I think the Toledo kids will, a lot of pride there. Since the loss, they have beat a pretty good 2A team in White River and beat Sammamish also and Rakoz is back and almost 100%. He and Trafelet are also both scoring 18 plus pts per game now but will need help from the rest of the team. Castle Rock is playing pretty well this yr with the 3 Johnson brothers shooting it, but they lack size. LaCenter has all its kids back now and are making a pretty good run at the end to finish 3 and 4 with CR.
Further north, Tenino is surprising everyone with their first place standing in that league being 2 games up on Forks and Hoquim. They have a pretty good player in the Harris kid and everyone else plays their role. Forks is a mystery as its so far out there that you have to plan an overnighter just to catch a game. I am going to get to Tenino when Forks comes to town next wk. Hoqium is Hoqium, inconsistent. They have all the tools to get into the post season and will probably get into the regionals but its anyones guess how they'll do after that. They certainly have the size, guards, and bench to do it. The point guard(Esponoza?) broke a toe and rolled up an ankle last wk so its hard to say how they'll finish as he was the heart and soul of that team. Should be an interesting finish to the high school season and a very interesting regionals. It's really going to be a dog fight to see who makes it to the east side of the state in March.

BB Buff -- is the Harris kid from Tenino a grandson of the legendary Tenino Tower, Gordon Harris? How tall is he?

FOH

while not a regular season matchup,the Tri-District tournament is shaping up to be brutal. On 2/14, D1#1 (probably Lynden Christian, but they have to get by Meridian--maybe twice--and likely King's before then, which will be no walk in the park) will play D2#1 (likely Seattle Academy) at Mountlake Terrace @ 8pm, with the winner getting D3#1 (likely Cedar Park Christian) on 2/16 @ 6:15pm at Lynnwood HS for championship. All three will move on win or lose, but nothing like having to play some of the best teams in the state with little rest and a potential undefeated showdown between SA and CPC with nothing on the line but seeding.

Is there a league tourney for Nisqually and Emerald City? That could mix things up, though Emerald City is weak so don't see SA losing to anybody there. I could see CPC stumbling in their tournament--two OT games over Seattle Christian, Eatonville playing well and of course dark horse Cascade Christian looming (not doubt they'd like a revenge match with CPC after getting beat by almost 40 earlier) suggest there is competition in that league. And then the goofy one-game, loser out regional game with a week to prepare for the survivors. Should be a fun!

Hey FOH, Gordon Harris, a name I haven't heard of in a long time. I remember watching him when I was like 8 yrs old and saw Tenino play the Naselle Comets in District champioship when Naselle had Grabenhorst and a good bunch of players who played under legendary coach Lyle Patterson. The game was played at the old Centralia Edison School with Naselle winning. Nope the Harris kids is African American , about 5'10, and really athletic, runs the point and gets to the hoop well. Thanks for dredging up the the memories.BB

while not on the list, what are Meridian's chances tonight against Lynden Christian? They are both undefeated in 1A NWC play and I believe the winner is the NWC #1 seed.

I'll be surprised if Meridian wins tonight. The Garcia brothers make a pretty good guard combo, but I think their big's will get abused by LC. I think the Lyncs get the job done.
This post was edited on 1/24 7:29 AM by Warrant3

that's what I assumed, though I actually have seen Meridian's big play some pretty solid games. He's a little out of control sometimes, but he isn't afraid to mix it up. I do agreee that the guard combo can be a handful.

I was also going to say, I think overall Conference record is what determines seeding, not just the games against 1A opponents. I know we've had the conversation before, and I believe that's the case.

I checked on it for us and here is the way it works. In the NWC all League games count for seeding. In other words, games against 2A teams count just as much as games against 1A teams. Friday Harbor, which plays in a different League, slides in based on their record against the NWC 1A teams. Say Meridian goes 4-1 and Friday Harbor goes 3-2, then they would be the #2 and #3 seeds respectively. Right now, LC is 6-2 in Conference play and Meridian is 3-5. Hope that helps a little. Good question.

Something must be wrong with those administrators because not only is it logical, it also seems fair!

In the district tourney between the NWC teams and the Cascade teams, how do they determine 3 berths out of the Cascade? When I check the league standings the only 1A team I can find there is Kings.
On another note, the South became more muddled this weekend. Toledo defeated Kalama on a buzer beater at Kalama. Great game, standing room only. The Rakoz kid ended up with 26 and 12 rebounds for Toledo and looked like he's pretty recovered from the high ankle injury earlier. According to his stats from his coach, he's had 23 plus in 7 of the last 10 games. The Wall kid, starting PG for Kalama, had 24 and got them from everywhere, really gets to the basket and finishes well. So barring any upsets, those two will end up co-champs.
Up North, Hoquim beat Tenino in OT and Hoquim and Forks are one game behind Teninio with Forks going to Tenino on Tuesday. So a win for Forks there could really throw that league on its head with a 3 way tie.

South Whidbey and 0-18 Coupville are also 1A.
This post was edited on 1/27 6:21 PM by Warrant3

let's be fair warrant3. Coupeville has won 2 games this year--last year they were winless :) I gather you don't give them much chance against Lynden Christian in the opening round of the D1 tourney?

Lol I just took that record off of the Cascade Conference website. Well, we wouldn't want to overlook those precious wins.

Just looking at that Cascade Athletics website - doing a little quick math it looks like the Cascade Conference is 14-32 overall when playing teams outside their own conference. That doesn't do a whole lot to inspire confidence looking to the post-season on the 2A or 1A level.

the three 2A teams that might win a game or two in playoffs depending on matchup are Cedarcrest, if their coach is smart enough to insist that Zach Taylor stop being so unselfish and start to carry the team. He is far and away the best player in the cascade conference; Murphy, because they play hard and are unselfish and so get production from a lot of players and Sultan, if Vandenekart is told the same thing that Zach taylor is told. Vandenekart has a nice jumper, has long range, battles well inside and has size. The most likely scenario for all these teams, though, is they will play a bigger team where the coach is smart enough to play the matchup game and pound it inside. it looks like south whidbey and coupeville will play each other again so South whidbey should get a playoff win. as for kings, it depends on the matchup, though they aren't playing very well right now and you have to wonder what's going on with teams that are on a downward trajectory this time of year.

Really like Zach Taylor. Would like so much to see him have a chance to play in the State Tournament.

Either Sultan or Murphy will face Lynden right out of the gate... not the matchup that I'd want to see right away! Cedarcrest I could see winning a couple games, though they'll face Burlington, Sehome, or Squalicum in their first matchup, too - none of those teams is a walkover.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cedarcrest come out of districts and make it to regionals, but I also wouldn't be shocked if all three teams that made it on were from the NWC.

This post was edited on 1/28 1:11 PM by Little_Lion_Man

Bah - I tried to ninja edit, but you were too fast... I realized just after I posted that Kings was 1A.

Also, I'd have this conversation about 2A teams in the 2A board, but for some reason I can post everywhere but there - and I'm too lazy to make a whole new screen name to try to get around it.

Tenino beat Forks tonight 46-36. That clinches at least a share of the Evergreen for the Beavs and puts the Spartans into 3rd for sure and district play in game early next week.

Part II

Here's the wrap up on my earlier predictions. I'd say I went about 13/23 overall with a strong second half so I think I'll leave next year's picks to better experts here, or do a little more homework before repeating such a post.

*notes game of the year candidates.

Eastside

-----------

1/26 Chelan 32 Brewster 30 CTL

Chelan has been playing stingy defense and improved their league record to 11-1. Defense helped them win this night as they scored a season low. I'd have been shocked by the score prior to the season, but not after the Forks Hoquiam contest. The Goats continue to be unselfish with the ball and play well rounded across a lot of areas of the game. This was a tough loss for Brewster who are a good team in a competitive league.

1/26 La Salle 63 @ Granger 57 South Central - West

This wasn't a close contest at halftime, but you have to give a lot of credit to Granger for battling back. They were down by only 2 with a couple minutes left when LaSalle's Bren't Gorrebeck hit a 3 pointer and LaSalle took care of business at the foul line.

1/29 Chewelah 57 Medical Lake 38 NorthEast 1A

Great rematch and as tough as Chewelah got in 12-0 in league play. Smith and Smith had 20 & 17. Peone scored 12 to give them their 17th victory. Now they have the tough task to strongly represent the Northeast conference in the 6/7 bi-districts.

1/29 Okanogan 59 Brewster 44 CTL

Given Brewster's inability to score versus Chelan, they broke out against Okanogan, but just could not keep up. This game showed us just how fast Justin Rivas is in transition, but it is Okanogan's ability to work as a team that helped them sail to victory in this contest though I am sure Rivas' 23 points helped too.

2/1 La Salle(9-2) @ Zillah(9-1) South Central - West

Zillah has been steam rolling their league this year yet again. Brady Widner had 14. Slack and Dunsmore were also in double figures. We will see Zillah at the sundome.

2/1 Okanogan 45 Chelan 42 CTL*

This was the contest the CTL season built up to and perhaps why I had so many Caribou Trail games on my list so I would not miss one like this. The bulldogs only led the goats 26-22 at the half but they never gave up the lead. Okanogan should be ranked higher by now given their record, but polls like to favor historically dominant programs, usually for some intangibles. I'd love to see an Okanogan and Cedar Park Christian Matchup in the Sundome. Chelan ends up with the 3rd seed and takes on Tonasket. Okanogan will play the Northeast 4th seed.

1/31 Cashmere 66 Brewster 57 CTL

This was a battle between the CTL 3 & 4 with teams coming in with the same overall record and Cashmere hoping to capture with some luck a part of the #2 CTL position. Brewster defense gave up the fewest points in the CTL for the season but Cashmere came away with their 11th league win led by Casey Ruether's 21 points.

Westside

------------

1/25 Toledo 52 Kalama 50 Trico*

"Sophomore Brent Wood in the corner" will be the memorable description by TDN's Matt Penz that shows why this was one of the best matchups of the year, complete with a buzzer beater. These teams both went 17-1 in league play and deserve a top 10 slot and I expect them to be in the dome.

1/29 Cascade Christian 52 Cedar Park Christian(BOTHELL) 51 - Nisqually

This was a league #1 vs. #2 and well… this one did not end with a dunk. CPC brought in an unblemished record into the game and CCS was playing for better tri-district seeding so as to come through with the last two regionals slots. Some mere predicted CCS finishes strong late in the season, so I anticipated they would be strong competition. Spencer now showed why he was selected as a McDonald's All American after CPC shut him down in their earlier meeting. As I said in my earlier post, playing on the road can be dangerous, especially to programs with winning traditions. CPC did a surprising job keeping composed in spite of the overwhelming imbalance of calls that did not go their way in the 4th quarter. That experience will serve them well in the playoffs. While it was a loss, it probably did the CPC boys a favor to keep their heads from getting too big with the long hiatus until regionals with just 2 games over 21 days.

1/29 Tenino 46 Forks 36 Evergreen

If you wanted to catch Forks but did not want to make the drive, this was the one to go see. The utensil used on this night was a pair of scissors to cut down the net after the beaver win with the league championship. This was a key league matchup, and once again Forks created a low scoring game. They did not come out on top and end up 4th in league.

1/31 Toledo 61 Castle Rock 42 Trico

Toledo showed the reason they should be right up there with Kalama. Castle Rock is playing in a competitive league and ended up in 5th after losing some needed games. I did not expect Castle Rock to win Trico but had anticipated them to finish in league above La Center and Woodland, which they failed to do.

1/31 Cedar Park Christian(BOTHELL) @ CWA 39 Nisqually

Charles Wright is a lot faster team than you expect them watching them warm up. But besides a flurry of 3 pointers against the CPC bench when they just came in in the 3rd, this game was not as competitive as their first matchup. CPC once again made a statement for why it should be near the top of the rankings. CPC also got some needed late season practice shooting in a big building under the huge Charles dome roof.

2/1 Eatonville 55 Vashon 34 Nisqually

Eatonville really needed this game to hang onto 2nd in Nisqually with a tiebreaker. Vashon needed to gain a competitive league slot in tri-districts where they are fighting with Seattle Christian for the last D3 playoff with the #5 in danger of becoming the best 1A team to not be playing post season. This score took longer than 24 hours to get posted. Sorry for the delay in getting out my wrap up.

Now my question for you all, is which great regular season games were missing from my list?

Poll: Vote for your regular season interesting game of the year:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Toledo Kalama rematch

Lynden Christian vs. Lynden

Okanogan Chelan II

Other December Matchup: i.e. Cedar Park Christian vs. Ransom Everglades _______________.
This post was edited on 2/3 6:35 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT