ADVERTISEMENT

LC-Seattle Academy

addicted2ball

Nov 4, 2012
I've got LC by 6-10 points. Every bit as talented as SA, more proven in big games, played a tougher schedule. However, would not be shocked if SA pulled it out. Merely think it won't happen. Thoughts?

A couple of considerations:
How will the officials call the game. The one time I watched SA, they hacked and slapped their way to 7 fouls in the first 4 minutes of the 1st quarter. If the officials let that stuff go it could have an impact. I was not impressed with the press they showed at NV.
How well will SA perform in the half court. They seem to pick up alot of points in transition. I think LC will force them to play slower. The Lyncs have a size advantage.

I like the Lyncs. No other 1A team has played the schedule they have. They don't look as sharp as they did at mid-season, but I think they get it done.

It might be close early, but LC by 15 at least. battle tested, road tested, deep, disciplined, big and way too many weapons. Both teams fan base will be vocal. unlike addicted, I would be shocked if SA wins. question is whether or not SA can recover from losing their perfect season or do they end with back-to-back losses and a season-ending trip home from Yakima a week earlier than the other western teams.

It doesn't show the game being broadcast at this point, but I would be surprised if it isn't. Either KPUG (1170), or KGMI (790) will likely have the game.

SA is very talented. LC is beginning to peak at the right time like always. Should be a good game. Depends on which LC team shows up in my opinion.

Last year LC wallopped this same SA team. Wolffis is gone from LC, but other than that most the same personnel. I'm curious if SA has any variety to their offense. LC will take away what SA does best, which is the high pick and roll with Washington and Hobbes. Can SA counter? If not, this could be a blowout. If they can, we've got a game.

"LC is beginning to peak at the right time like always." Wow, that's a pretty bold statement considering last year was the first time they had been to Yakima since 2006.

Thanks for the info on radio's. That will be the only way to follow it down here.
As far as the # 3 from the tri-district heading east for their regional game, who can compete with them on the eastside. Okanogan and Zilla are going to wrap up the # 1's out of their districts and tri-district #3 won't see them. The quality of teams in the east drops off quite a bit after that.

Nobody should be able to compete with them after the top few on the Eastside, but they haven't played a competitive game in a long time. Getting LC right after practicing for two weeks is as bad as it can get. And if they get blown out, which could happen even if they were playing, who knows what could happen to their confidence. I don't care how they are ranked, I'd put them at .500 if they played in the NWC and probably behind King's, Cedarcrest, and probably Murphy if they were in the cascade conference. Their only competition in there league, U Prep, got blasted just a few weeks ago by Burlington and Burlington finished behind LC in the NWC. 6 of SA's 20 games have been against teams with a combined record of 4-86 and one of their quality wins was against a 2B team Bear Creek (who is good) and only played 6 teams with a winning record. Look, winning them all is a feat, but let's not get carried away about "most talented team" in the state talk. Beat LC and Cedar Park and then let's talk.

Hey most of us are on your side. You can't deny their talent. But that's pretty much been my point is Zillah CPC and LC combine that talent with greater discipline and, in the case of Zillah of LC, experience. I agree with you as far as SA having to prove a little, but bear in mind that they also made regionals last year so it isn't like they've never done anything.

LC by 20+. King's played SA at the beginning of the season when their football players were still rusty and the team still very inexperienced. King's was up 10-15 until the 4th where they lost the lead and ended up losing by 5 or so. Since then they have learned how to play in the 4th quarter (just look at the box scores of close games). That King's team was not near the team that they are now and they still lost to LC by 9 (granted they shot bad and SA might not). Now i'm sure you'll say that SA has also improved but i don't think they have nearly as much. I think LC will be ready for SA's shooters and with Reimer in the middle it will be tough to go inside. I think SA will struggle to score..... LC-66 SA-42

JShawd goin all in on that prediction. Could see it going there. I just have a hard time believing SA only scores 42. But hey, I really hope you're right. Would love to see LC send a statement like that.

no doubt Kings is better than they were in the second game of the season, but SA's also been playing games, too, so I'm sure they are better as well. If Kings' football players didn't play at all against SA, you might have a point, but static comparisons mean less than who you play over the course of the season. I still agree that SA will more than have their hands full against LC. LC made it hard for Kings to shoot the three and if they make it hard for SA as well, it could be a low scoring SA output. I do think SA's inside players are more physical than King's were, so that is an advantage, but LC sees that every night in the NWC so don't think they will be phased by it.

well i guess always wasn't the right word, but just like they did last year. I see more energy out of them. especially on the Defensive side.

Something to keep in mind, as far as LC goes...They overachieved last year. They won a state championship, with only 2 guys who had seen a single varsity minute the previous year, Reimer and Nolan Wolffis. Noone really saw it coming. Then they lost on senior starter, Wolffis, and another senior off the bench who saw about 15 mins a game, Cody Bierlink. (remember Jordan Van Kooten was playing limited minutes on a torn ACL) so this was a team who returned their 4 out of 5 starters and their top 2 out of their 3 top bench players. So they've had their sights set on repeating this whole entire year. Having your eyes on the postseason can lead to unmotivated play at times in the regular season, so it is no surprise to see them starting to really tune in on D. Keep an eye on this, because you can set in stone that LC will look tuned in in every game from here on out. Whether that translates to a championhip, I do not know. But I can tell you that that is not a good thing for the rest of the state.

of course the other side of that coin is that anything BUT a state championship will be considered a FAILURE and so they are under a different kind of pressure than everyone else (except maybe SA and their perfect season). I am sure even on LC's team, there will be some sphincters puckering at times during the playoff run. Since everyone is playing for "second", everyone will be giving them their best shot. And if LC wins two more this week, CPC, SA, King's and Zillah ALL will be playing to avenge either a recent, or in the case of Zillah, a painful loss. and after this week, ONE bad game and you are DONE.

Lots of emphasized words there...Ya you can bet LC won't be fazed. Zillah will be on a mission though. They got 2nd two years in a row they want a gold ball.

There is a lot of interesting speculation on the Lyncs here. I for one do not believe everyone else is playing for second. I am not sure LC is the best team out there. They are good but so are 6 to 8 other teams. They will play 2 teams this week that are capable of winning a title. I do agree that teams will all give LC their best shot. I disagree that LC feels any more pressure than any other team. They have a different team and were VERY fortunate to win a title a year ago and I think they realize that.

I think the pressure is on teams like Zillah. They have fallen short for 2 years in a row. That in my mind formulates more pressure than winning it last year. Daretobe , LC will have to win 5 or 6 games against really good opponents over the next 3 weeks. If they fall short,I think it will be a good team that brings them down not the pressure. I also don't see them not winning it as a failure. At least from what I know about their program, success is not really measured that way.

It definitely would not be consituted as a failure. I know Deboer personally and he's all about building community and young, Christ following men. As long as he and his coaches feel they've done that, which he has, it's a successful season. Everything else is icing. The players, however, would love to get a 2nd in a row, as it would be the first time in LC boys basketball history that they have back to back championships. Completely agree that if they don't win state (keep in mind that they could lose before state and still win state), it will be because a team beats em fair and square. It won't be because of pressure. Those guys know how to handle pressure.

"were VERY fortunate to win a title a year ago and I think they realize that." Not wanting to read too much into your comment, but do you mean "lucky?" The Cascade Christian game came down to the wire. CC got a tough call at the end, but those happen. Their (CC) coach also got a well deserved technical, but it's hard to say that was the difference considering it came earlier in the game. I'm guessing at what you were referring to?
This post was edited on 2/12 9:34 PM by Warrant3

Failure might be too strong a word, though just barely. and obviously sports are about more than just winning, but I do think that people will be surprised if LC doesn't win it all again. and some will see it as a failure. Good point about Zillah getting so close two years in a row. no doubt there is a different kind of pressure there. 2 old 4 this: one poster indicated they have 4 of 5 starters back and 2 of 3 major bench players. Obviously their PG was very important last year,but it seems like a very similar team, so wonder what you mean by your comments about it being a different team? I still think there will be pressure on them as defending champs that will affect them and their opponents in good and bad ways.

Warrant3 I love your comments about the Cascade Chrisitian game. That coach did deserve everything he got. I was very disappointed in his post game comments/excuses after that game.LC was a better team in that game.
I was not referring to that game specifically nor do I mean "lucky" either. They were a very good team on a great roll.. By very fortunate I was referring to all the things that had to happen "just right" for them to win in with a team that was not the most talented team in the post season. They had to come from 15 points down with 5 minutes to go against Bellevue Chrisitian a game they probably should have lost. Onalaska has them on the ropes and has a kid miss a back door layin late in the game to secure the lead and LC comes back and hits a 3 and they win a close one. They go 0-whatever from the 3 pt line against Granger only to come back from 10 plus down late in the game to win by 1. They almost give the Cascade Christian game away and pull it off by 1 or 2. Then finally play to their potential to win the title game. Pick one small change in events in ANY of those 5 to 6 games and they don't win it. There was just a lot of circumstances that went right for them to get a title. I was thrilled they did but also understand how difficult it was to get there. And to repeat something like that would be even more amazing.

Daretobe I do agree that a whole new type of "baggage" comes with defending a title. I do think it will change how opponents prepare for them and how LC prepares. I think any team would be in denial not facing those facts. It will be interesting to see how it plays out for sure.
By "different team" I see their style as being different without their pg from last year. Some of the differences in their style is a good thing and some not as much. But that kid was a really good leader and helped control things. This team appears to be a bit more eratic without his stability. Not having that 6-7 250 pound back up post has made the dynamic different as well when they sub out for Reimer.
It also can mean better. This team is better offensively. The sophomore kid is really good. They shoot it even better then a year ago and are more balanced. Even with very few personel changes this team has a much different approach in my opinion.

2old4this....agree with pretty much all that you just said, except for the Onalaska game. They led the whole way, a lot of it by 8+ and that backdoor would have cut it to 2 but LC still would have led. Outside of that I think you nail it. All that aside, lets bear in mind that in the rankings LC is neither #1 nor #2. Apparently there are a fair amount of people who don't think that LC will win. That pressure to repeat is there, because the players put it there. But I don't think it is a positive or a negative. It is just apart of their reality. Personally I still think they will get it done, because they are as talented as anyone and they do have that experience. But obviously they still have to play the games.

I think that seattle academy has got it in the bag! LC has played some sloppy games this year and i dont think that they will be able to beat this athletic team. Reimer hasnt been the big scoring threat that he was last year even tho he is getting more boards. If LC wants to pull this one out they are going to need to have a big game from Brandsma and have lock down defense. LC has struggled when they get a big lead to hold on to that lead just look at what meridian did to them. I think it is just a matter of time before they lose it completely. They arent as good as they were last year and winning state for the 2nd time will be a struggle for them.

pretty bold prediction kingpig...you make a few ok points but i would not be to worried about Reimers scoring. Lot of other guys who can get in the mix so he doesn't have to. The held off a good kings team. I think they are being more smart and confident with the lead since that meridian game that they still managed to come out with the win in.

Ya I think you're a little off. Reimer has scored every bit as much as last year, and they have more guys scoring. Keep in mind, also, that LC is every bit as athletic as SA is, plus a lot more experienced against actual competition.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT