ADVERTISEMENT

Leaving Early

scacfan00

Apr 16, 2007
I went and watched a game this past weekend and the visiting team just killed the home team. I was wondering what people's thoughts were on coaches telling their kids to leave early from the base to get outs to assist the other team???

I as a coach have done that. Sportsmanship is top in playing any game, and when two teams play, and one is out performing the other team by a huge score, well I dont think it is a bad thing for a coach to have their players leave early, trying to get called out. My teams have been on both sides of this, and frankly no one wants to loose that big.
Coach

I think it shows lack of respect for the other team. I wouldn't do it. I would sub and get some of my bench players in, but would not purposefully get outs to help another team. There is a huge thing going on in the Metro and Kingco leagues dealing with 60-0 games and such.

The game I was at the coach who was having it done to him said that the team was being unsportsman like. I agree with playing with the younger girls, but what happens if they are better also??? Do you just run it up or what can you do if you are in the making of one of those Seattle games?

I believe there are things you can work at in those kinds of games. Such as: 1) hit the ball the other way 2) bunt 3) patience at the plate (if they are walking everyone then that is a problem), and 4) aggressive baserunning.

In sports like basketball, and football you can call certain things that will slow the game down and not run up the score too much, but in baseball or softball that is not possible because they have to get you out. There are blowouts all the time in tennis, track and wrestling the only difference is that it is based upon how you score. With things like golf and baseball, you have to play a certain amount of innings or holes and then take the score.

In conclusion they have to play the game. I think a coach can do some things to lessen the bleeding, but I would rather get my rear end kicked then have someone give me point, outs, or whatever. Hopefully it would motivate me to do better.

I agree with you, and I did do as much as I could to lesson the bleeding and we did practice everything we could and all my subs played, but when you get walked player after player that makes for a not very fun game, and it was the end of the 5th inning, the umpires wanted the game over, and so did we, so in that case, I sent my girls early, and what was funny was they didnt catch them for atleast 5 times, so we scored 5 more times before getting called out.

This is ludicrous. The score as 28-1 both games. Kids were batting opposite of what they normally do and still getting hits during this game. All the subs played alot and yet they still scored 28 runs in 5 innings. I am sorry but the leaving early is not a slam but merely a way to get an out due to the fact the pitching was so poor and the fielding was worse. I am sorry but this was not an unsportsman like thing. It is up to the other team to be able to get the outs. It is frustrating on both sides.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT