ADVERTISEMENT

LuVene a question

richardlb

Aug 12, 2001
why do you think the 2a refs. where bad . i thought that the one 2a official was one of the best i have seen work a match. he was always in position back from the wrestlers were he could see all the action called stalling the way it should be called and keep control of the match not like the officials on the b mat who seemed to be in a different world. just my opinion

I would have to agree with the statement about the B officials. At 130 they gave an escape point while the wrestler still had a leg. The cluster at 215 was almost as bad ( an escape point again) my kid was called for stalling after he looked at the clock two times, probably wondering how long until they called the bottom man for stalling. Like i said before not neccessarily the officials fault but something should be done for future finals matches. 5 matches in the B's were decided by 1 or 2 points and bad officiating can make a differnce when its that close.

Last year in the semis we had one of the two officials that had the 2A finals this year, our kid was almost out and he stopped it for stalling on the top man and so he had to reset (3 seconds and down 1) huge disadvantage considering there was a better chance at a reversal before the stoppage. I THOUGHT HE DID A BETTER JOB THIS YEAR BUT I DID NOT SEE HIM THAT MANY TIMES.
This post was edited on 2/21 12:18 PM by pumacat35if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I totally agree!! Not all but a couple of the officials from the B section
seemed to be favoring certain schools or kids. On the first day, I sat in
the front row. I watched a 135 lb bout and the official was directing his attention to a kid he wanted to win. What I mean by that is, I could here him telling the kid (by name) to come on, fight! Needless to say his favored kid won by two points, 1 for a full neslon(which the other kid never came close to doing)and illegal hands (again the other kid didn't do). In the final round for 1st and 2nd they (the officials) tried to call the same thing on the same kids apponent, but the favored kids opponent prevailed and pinned the kid. We have film of several matches that the officials made so many bad calls on. People from 1a and 2a section were even saying they were wathcing the B's and they too agree that they have never seen such poor officiating!!

Officiating!

Hey, I really agree that the officiating was terrible at Mat Classic. However, get a clue, the officials rotated every session. When you speak of "the B officials", they were not the same ones throughout the tourney. Sorry to disappoint you, but there was not a conspiracy against certain kids. The officials in our state are just terrible right now. I think it is just a swing, it will get better and there is a lot of talk about trying to improve. The big problem is that most officials bury their head in the sand and will not admit that the overall quality is not good right now.

Re: Officiating!

Having fun your are correct. The officials did rotate and man, they all seemed to be pretty bad. Personally, I beleive our officals need some consistancy. One match a kid gets praised for what he is working on top and the next, he called for stalling time after time...I beleive the kids deserve consistancy from the refs!!!!! On another note, fleeing the mat needs to be addressed. This is something I call mat sense!!!!! A kid is on the edge of the mat in a tight half and wrist being readjusted across the body, pulls away and is called for fleeing the mat!!! Are you serious? Afterwards the ref says, "the kid needed to work in to the mat" well you know what dumbass, doing that would have put in right to his back......I really hope this is a phase because the refing in this state is really poor, and it won't get better until they stop the powertrip...

THey are actually considering new rules about wrestling on the edge of the mat. The new rules are even worse then the old ones. What they need to do is go to more of a college format for the edge of the mat ( not exactly sure of the rule) but I believe you only have to have one foot in and control of one leg for a takedown, this would eliminate alot of kids getting leads and then wrestling on the edge of the mat because if they step out they are out of bounds. It would extend the wrestling mat by about 3-6 feet depending on how tall the attacking wrestler is.

First of all, I agree that the officiating was poor.

I feel like it is the wrestler's job to make sure he does not let the referee dictate the match. Anybody who says that the officials were being biased towards a certain team, is probably from the team that lost the match. Although situations of rigging games may occur in movies such as Remember the Titans or with Pete Rose, I very highly doubt that this would occur in Washington State High School Wrestling.

Let's forget about ragging on the officials and keep the rest of the conversations towards finding things that can help improve the situation. What steps need to be taken to ensure that officiating in Washington State improves? First of all, I think all the people that come on this message board and complain about poor officiating need to obtain their Washington State Wrestling Official's Certification, because obviously they believe they can do a better job. Not to mention this would solve the shortage problem we are having.

What are some more suggestions for ways to improve the officiating?

if you want to see biased refs, go down and watch a tournament at royal. doesnt really matter witch one.

I was referring to the FINALS in 2A, one match that stands out in my mind was the Driscoll vs Hintz match..... There was a stalling point awarded to Hintz
when both wrestling were at the edge (granted I think Driscoll stalled a lot
of the match) but in this case it was a takedown attempt at the edge and they
went out of bounds (ding)... I could not figure that one out... There was a fleeing the mat call on Driscoll that I didnt see Hintz nudged him out of bounds..... Then later Hintz was at the edge of the mat and you could clearly see him crawling out of bounds, NO Fleeing the mat.... I just could not figure out why award the point in a questionable case and not in the obvious one ???????? The inconsistencies continued thru out the 2A finals. I didnt watch the 103 - 140 matches tho, just the 145 - 285.....
I was watching the 103 -140 over at the 1A finals... I thought those officials did a fine job. Just amazing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT