ADVERTISEMENT

Lynden/Capitol Recap

innocentbystanderLL

Nov 18, 2011
Did anybody see that coming? Lynden trumps Capital 48-21, with two of those touchdowns scored against Lyndens JV. I predicted that it would be a much closer game than that. Just wondering what the general consensus is, as to why it was that big of a beat down?

This post was edited on 11/25 6:26 PM by innocentbystanderLL

I thought it would be closer. I was confident Lynden would win. Kramme really likes this team, and he has had some good ones.

Lynden's defense is way too good to try to run your offense through one person. A few people had been saying that Capital could pass the ball as well, and I'd seen that Becker was supposed to be one of the better junior quarterbacks, but he missed some of his receivers badly. Capital's first 17 plays were 12 Van Sickle runs and 5 incomplete passes. They didn't try to run with anyone else or complete a pass for 4 possessions, and by then Lynden was up 21-0.

Van Sickle and Maiava were two outstanding athletes, but too much of their game went through them - offensively and defensively. Re-watching the game later, nearly every play where a guy made an impressive tackle it ended up being Van Sickle on D. Running all over on D and being asked to carry the load for the offense is too much when you're being hit by those big Lynden boys.

And Westside - before the game you'd indicated Lynden may be the 4th best team Capital faced all year long. I want your honest opinion on where you'd rank them now. Where would you put them compared to Bellarmine? Truly not trying to rub in anything, I just want a gauge from someone who's seen Capital's other games.

I didn't get the chance to see Capital play before this weekend, but they just weren't as deep as Lynden. Lynden's defensive ends are both low-end D1 caliber players (Meyer-WSU and Newman-offer from airforce), and they along with Vis and the others kept #11 contained all night, save one mistake made by Newman which gave Capital their only TD scored on the Lions' first string defense. Capital didn't have another credible option.

From a larger perspective, I think this is the best Lynden team of the last decade, and perhaps the best Kramme's ever had. They are not unbeatable, as Kings demonstrated, but I'll be surprised if Tumwater comes within 14 this weekend.

Capital alum here who was at the game. I thought Lynden was going to win, but like many, I was expected a much closer game and was not pleased with our inability to remain close. Either Lynden or Bellarmine is the toughest team we've faced all year.

Our offense is pretty much one-dimensional, a good one dimensional offense, but one none-the-less. Capital has won their games by giving the ball to Van Sickle 20, 30, even 50+ times (in our quarterfinals win) behind our mammoth O-line and he gets all those yards. He's the state's all time single season rushing leader for a reason.

A passing game hasn't been a strength at Capital for awhile, the QB is basically a second RB. It's even more difficult when we've got guys who can't catch the ball at times.

I don't know what has happened with the defense. Our D-Line (mammoth like the O-line) has been our strength, but it was exposed today. Our corners are small and our 2 losses (Tumwater and Bellarmine) were against teams that could throw the ball WR's and TE's that were much bigger than our corners.

Depth and discipline have been issues for the last few years.

After the weekend, I would say Lynden was the most complete team I saw this year. Offensively, especially in a controlled environment, they are extremely tough. I don't care who your opponent is, when you line up 6'3 across the field, you will get your points. There just isn't really a way to shut them down. I see them putting up points on any team in the state (at any level). Their defense was faster and better than anyone I saw this year, but I would put Bellarmine's up there with it.

I said coming in that Capital would have to play a perfect game, and they didn't do that at all. Van Sickle got his yards, but the rest of the offense looked very tight, possibly scared(?) Going down 14-0 early made it difficult as the Cougars weren't exactly a team built to score quickly. I would even say that first drive took the air out of them. Forcing two 4th downs before giving up a touchdown has got to be rough.

Coming in, it was easy to see how big and fast Lynden was, but I was very surprised by how physical they were. Film really doesn't do justice to how dominant Lynden's line is. A few Capital players got hit early and looked like they just quit out there. I think it was definitely a humbling experience for a few kids that thought they were legit.

Lastly, Kraght and Vis are two of the best high school players I have had the pleasure of seeing. Offensively and defensively, they are both game-changers that you have to be aware of at every moment of the game. Every time they had the ball I expected to see an electric play.

I suppose the silver lining for Capital is they can say their only losses came to championship teams (Tumwater, Lynden, Bellarmine Prep).

Anyway, congratulations to Lynden and Tumwater for making it to the last weekend. It was a great season.

Those are some very well thought out critiques of the Lynden-Capital game.

Great job, guys, and thanks a lot!

Very well said Westside. You mentioned a lot of the things that went through my mind. One thing I want to add is Lynden's D-line. Compared to the Capital O-line, they were tiny to say the least, but they seemed to hold their own just fine. They run that 3-4 front with ends pressed up, and slant their line a lot. I may be wrong, but I think Burlington runs a similar defense, and it looked as if Capital had no problem with it a week before.

Yes, Lynden has some incredible skill position players, but Friday's game was won in the trenches if you ask me, and there was no doubt Lynden's O and D line dominated for the duration.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT