ADVERTISEMENT

Question

Monte Mom

Nov 16, 2015
How is royal playing at home again do they have turf? Is it true starting in quarters game must be played on turf?

I spoke with the District 5 Director, of which Royal is a member. It appears there is a mix of factors that goes into determining the suitability of a home site for quarterfinal games. Royal does have turf, but turf is not an absolute requirement in the quarterfinals. I believe it is in the semifinals. They have had turf for about 10 years. Other factors include sufficient locker rooms that are in close enough proximity to the field, seating on both sides of the field, and whether the visitors side seating is reasonable (which typically means enough and elevated instead of just some ground level temporary bleachers). It was determined before the playoffs began that Royal's facility met those standards.

It is my understanding that Monte's facility is also a qualified location had Monte been in a position to host in the quarterfinals.

Semifinal locations are a different story and are determined by the WIAA. Typically a neutral turf site in close proximity of the home team is designated.

Interesting.....last I had heard, quarterfinals forward were required to be played on turf.....in the instance of stands required on both sides of the field how does Monte qualify as a location? They only have stands on one side of the field.....Hoquiam and Monte have been screwed multiple years because they have had to travel to Tumwater to play games as the home team when Stewart Field in Aberdeen meets all the above qualifications.....just seems odd on how things work for the playoffs.....I honestly say take it back to before field turf and play on grass......study field conditions before games to make sure they are suitable before the game and have a backup plan in case the field isn’t playable....

I spoke with the District 5 Director, of which Royal is a member. It appears there is a mix of factors that goes into determining the suitability of a home site for quarterfinal games. Royal does have turf, but turf is not an absolute requirement in the quarterfinals. I believe it is in the semifinals. They have had turf for about 10 years. Other factors include sufficient locker rooms that are in close enough proximity to the field, seating on both sides of the field, and whether the visitors side seating is reasonable (which typically means enough and elevated instead of just some ground level temporary bleachers). It was determined before the playoffs began that Royal's facility met those standards.

It is my understanding that Monte's facility is also a qualified location had Monte been in a position to host in the quarterfinals.

Semifinal locations are a different story and are determined by the WIAA. Typically a neutral turf site in close proximity of the home team is designated.
Question, looking at the link in a previous post visitor seating seems questionable.....doesn’t seem like there is a whole lot of seats for the visitors.....also if Monte was to host in the Quarters it would have been at Stewart in Aberdeen because of the seating requirements....there needs to be set rules for what fields host quarters and semis going forward.....

Interesting.....last I had heard, quarterfinals forward were required to be played on turf.....in the instance of stands required on both sides of the field how does Monte qualify as a location? They only have stands on one side of the field.....Hoquiam and Monte have been screwed multiple years because they have had to travel to Tumwater to play games as the home team when Stewart Field in Aberdeen meets all the above qualifications.....just seems odd on how things work for the playoffs.....I honestly say take it back to before field turf and play on grass......study field conditions before games to make sure they are suitable before the game and have a backup plan in case the field isn’t playable....
Playing on turf is some sort of fable that has developed over time...last year a big stink was made about Central Valley hosting a state quarterfinal game against Skyline because it was on grass and in mid-November...Skyline protested the field forever in social media and I’m assuming to WIAA but in the end it went to CV because it must have met the parameters of the round. There is turf at Joe Albi and Gonzaga Prep in Spokane, so if this was actually a rule it would have been moved to one of those locations.

From the link:
6. Sites will be determined based on suitability of the facility and to maximize revenues, which means there is no guarantee that contests will be played on neutral sites. Suitability of potential sites will be determined based on the following criteria: 1. Condition of playing field. 2. Ability to control admission for ticket sales. 3. Adequate seating for anticipated crowd – both home and visitor. For Western Washington sites covered seating is preferable. 4. Availability of conveniently located locker rooms/meeting rooms, rest rooms for both teams. 5. Availability of conveniently located rest rooms for both home and visitor spectators. 6. Equal access to press box facilities (when available) for both teams. 7. Adequate parking for anticipated crowd. Page 6 2018-19 Bound For State Football Regulations 8. Availability of emergency medical treatment.

This from this mornings Aberdeen Daily world newspaper

"It was a nightmarish opening half for Hoquiam, which was hosting the Lyncs at Stewart Field due to a WIAA rule that states that all state football quarterfinal games must be played on a turf field".

ADVERTISEMENT