ADVERTISEMENT

RANKINGS FOR 2013-14

2old4this

Dec 3, 2005
Let's throw something out there for people to chew on over Christmas break. I have seen some teams play but have not been out as much this year. Based on what I have heard or seen this is what I have so far.

1. Kings Experienced, long and good. New freshman kid is special.

2. Okanogan A legit contender with inside and out

3. Zillah Possibly the most talent of any team

4.Seattle Academy Athletic and quick. Poor league will hurt them again but they are very good

5. Cashmere Dylan Boyd is a stud and some supporting cast to help too

6. Brewster lots of weapons

7. Vashon They could climb fast. Look to be the best seed in their conference

8. Cedar Park They have an all state caliber guard and have some shooters

9. Riverside Off to a fast start

10. Lynden Christian Only because from that conference someone has to be ok even if the 1A schools are down this year

let the onslaught of opinion begin Merry Christmas
This post was edited on 12/24 11:40 PM by 2old4this

I've a seen L.C., Brewster, Cashmere and Kings thus far. I think Kings is much the best of the teams I've watched. They have some size, and they are athletic. Plenty of good shooters as well. Cashmere is well coached. With Boyd back they can hang with most teams. Brewster is interesting. They didn't blow me away, but they were effective. I just don't have the love for Lynden Christian at this point. Losing Daulton Hommes was a huge blow.
This post was edited on 1/5 7:39 PM by Warrant3

It is still really early ands I have not yet seen a lot of teams. Here is my list.

Okanogan
Zillah
Vashon
Kalama
UPrep
LaCenter
Kings
La Salle
Lynden Christian
Cedar Park Christian (Bothell)

Game Observations:
Vashon is fast and can shoot from range. They came into the season ready to play and they very likely will not lose a regular season home game.
Lynden Christian has a deep bench (no, I am not talking about all the assistants) and should have a great year despite some unfortunate off season injuries to would have been starters.
Cedar Park Christian (Bothell) starters all contributed in their Feb. playoff run and are playing well together, but did not have great results in their holiday tournament.

Other thoughts
Okanogan with Rivas is a force this year and returns a lot of guys that really impressed me at the dome. Zillah will be hungry after last post season results. We all expect some great things from King's Corey Kispert who joins many returners from a team that played for the title last year. I'll disagree with you about Emerald City League which has much more competition this year for Seattle Academy with talent on both UPrep and Overlake squads who are off to good starts.

ScoreCzar computer rankings have Zillah on top right now, though it is too early fo
http://www.scoreczar.org/classifications/254-high-school-basketball-boys-wa1a

Here is my consolidated rankings post. I've collected recent polls and ranks. Note: not all are the same day.

Who else should the sportswriters have on this list? Which computer rank do you like better MP vs SCz ?

FDL Composite 1A Boys State Rankings (Consolidated from 4 below.)
1 King's
2 Zillah
3 Okanogan
4 Vashon
5 Seattle Academy
6 Kalama
7 LaCenter
8 Lynden Christian
9 Lakeside
10T Brewster
10T Uprep
12 La Salle
13 Cedar Park Christian
14 Overlake
15 Naches Valley

MaxPreps Rankings (Maxpreps.com)
1 Okanogan
2 King's
3 Zillah
4 Vashon
5 Seattle Academy
6 Kalama
7 Lakeside
8 Brewster
9 Lynden Christian
10 La Salle
11 Naches Valley

AP Poll (I got them at heraldnet.com)
1 Okanogan
2 Zillah
3 King's
4 Vashon
5 Seattle Academy
6 LaCenter
7T Brewster
7T Uprep
9 Lynden Christian
10 Kalama
11 Lakeside

Tacoma news Tribune Rankings (TheNewsTribune.com)
1 King's
2 Okanogan
3 Zillah
4 Seattle Academy
5 Vashon
6 LaCenter
7 Lynden Christian
8 UPrep
9 Kalama
10 Lakeside

ScoreCzar Rankings (ScoreCzar.com)
1 Zillah
2 King's
3 Kalama
4 Vashon
5 Seattle Academy
6 LaCenter
7 Okanogan
8 Lakeside
9 Lynden Christian
10 Cedar Park Christian
11 Overlake

Regards,
FDL

Thanks for taking the time. I'm betting ScoreCzar has Okanogan ranked too low. They have most of their guys back from last year's 4th place (State) team, including Rivas.

This week's composite FDL poll rankings, averaged from below.
1. Zillah
2. King's
3. Okanogan
4. Vashon
5. Seattle Academy
6. Kalama
7. Lynden Christian
8. LaCenter
9. Lakeside
10. Uprep
11. Brewster
12. La Salle
13. Cedar Park Christian
14. Overlake
15. Naches Valley

-----------------------------------------

MaxPreps.com
1. Zillah
2. Okanogan
3. King's
4. Vashon
5. Kalama
6. Seattle Academy
7. Lakeside
8. La Salle
9. Lynden Christian
10. Brewster
11. LaCenter
12. Cedar Park Christian
13. Cashmere
14. Naches Valley
15. Riverside

AP Poll (I found it at heraldnet.com/sports)
1. Okanogan
2. Zillah
3. King's
4. Vashon
5. Seattle Academy
6. LaCenter
7. Lynden Christian
8. Brewster
9. Kalama
9. Uprep
Lakeside
Cedar Park Christian
Columbia (Burbank)
La Salle

Poll at www.thenewstribune.com/2014/01/21/3004588/tnt-high-school-basketball-rankings.html
1.King's
2. Okanogan
3. Zillah
4. Seattle Academy
5. Vashon
6. Lynden Christian
7. LaCenter
8. UPrep
9. Kalama
10. Lakeside

ScoreCzar.org
1. Zillah
2. King's
3. Seattle Academy
4. Vashon
5. Kalama
6. Okanogan
7. Lynden Christian
8. Lakeside
9. LaCenter
10. Cedar Park Christian
11. Overlake
12. La Salle
13. Uprep
14. Naches Valley
15. Woodland

thanks for consolidating this. what is the story with Cashmere? they made it to Yakima last year but don't see them in the rankings anywhere. I thought they had some good players returning.

Think they are about 9-7. They lost 4 seniors last year. 2 were starters. Returned Boyd, Ruether, Eilliot and Badgley from last year.

Cashmere is a good team with several guys with playoff experience in the Sundome. Their rankings are probably where one would expect given their record, with Omak, lack of a quality win and 3rd place slot in a tough league. A sehome loss who had an unexpected bad loss to a lower ranked team does not help them in the computer polls this time of year either. All that said, this is a team that I could see pulling off some upsets in districts and regionals. Okanogan and Brewster are really good this year, so I see why they are overlooked.

They are 11-5 on the season and have a new coach so it looks like they started a little slow but have started to pick it up

Thanks for the insight Eastsiderocks! We would all appreciate it if you'd spin up a new post with observations or perspective on any Eastside 1A teams you have been privileged to watch this year.

ADVERTISEMENT