ADVERTISEMENT

Selah cleared to play

Come ON Lets Get REAL. WOuldn't we all like to Play by Selahs' Rules. DO THE CRIME PAY THE TIME. WHAT A MISTAKE TO ALLOW THEM TO PLAY. The playing field is not equal here.

What rules has Selah broken? The WIAA has said that no rules were broken.
Varsity players play in JV games all the time in various sports (particulary in varsity/JV baseball doubleheaders, I've seen for decades),
providing an individual does not play in more than the 16 contests allowed; I dont know of a rule that admission cant be charged for junior varsity matches, or that varsity coaches can't be on the bench or even coach the JV if they want to.
So how does the WIAA define a varsity match? Isn't it defined by the schools official published varsity schedule, including, of course, all league matches? Other non-league matches are then by definition sub-varsity, and it doesn't matter who plays in them or who coaches them. If other schools are willing to schedule their varsity matches against someone else's JV, the WIAA has no rules against that. It's done all the time, usually small schools varsity against larger schools JVs.
Selah, being a very strong and deep volleyball program, elected to hold some of it's top players out of league matches against a couple of weaker teams and use those players against stronger non-league teams in designated JV matches. No individual athlete played in more than the 16 matches allowed. Having made every Selah volleyball match...I know that each varsity player sat out two entire matches. Not one player participated in more than the alloted 16 matches. This also allowed teams to have a more balanced, competitive match.
Selah's AD cleared this scheduling with the WIAA back in Febuary and again prior to the seasons start. It does't look as if Selah was trying to hide anything or go outside of the rules. I believe the Selah volleyball program (by reading most of the replys) Is taking a lot of unnecessary heat. The final decision has been made. They were found not guilty. Let the WIAA do their job and lets just support the great volleyball teams out there.

Letter of the law or spirit of the law. Your team flat was able to bend the law to an advantage not given to others. We all have a sport or two that we are better than most in. We have not been able to do that. We have asked and been denied. Special Treatment. I would say so

Sportsfan. The biggest thing I have heard is that those JV matches were played in a 3 out of 5 format. That is reserved by league rules I think for only varsity contests. That would be my only contention. A second point would be that it was not just one or two varsity players but almost all of them. 11 for one match and 9 for the other I think I have heard. That would to me constitute a varsity match. I agree with you that the WIAA has made the ruling, but I and many others still feel they stretched the rules too far. I do wish them luck this year at State. The kids play great and the kids deserve to go.

You guys are beating a dead horse, move on to something else please. Anyone going to be at the sundome to watch Selah win state?

i agree spartan, and heck yeah ill be there rooting on the VIKS! cant wait till friday, this year will most definitely be a very exciting state tourney! it will be interesting to see who comes out on top.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT