ADVERTISEMENT

selah....

KINGMEEE

Apr 12, 2005
i looked in the paper today and saw that alliston and womack played doubles instead of singles against sunnyside, ummmm i hope they werent trying to stack.

is stacking players in different positions bad sportsmanship. i know in wrestling some players will forfeit district matches so they will only have to play someone tough once. sometimes they even play up a class for an easier match. if a team is trying to win the match though they know their #1 singles will get hammered so they move their best to doubles, is that poor sportsmanship. thoughts anyone? i have not been around tennis for as long as most people.

It wasn't an official match. It was just a tourney for fun. None of results count in the standings. I think S-side moved people around too. As far as moving them, I don't have a problem as long as your best are at #1. There is no rule that says #1 singles is any more important than #1 doubles. I would call it good strategy. As long as your best player is at a #1 spot. That's my take.
This post was edited on 3/19 11:05 PM by spokalooif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

It actually makes more tactical sense to stack the best players at singles, as you get more team points that way. Unless of course you know for sure that the singles matches are un-winable, then you throw you're bottom players in there for target practice and sweep the doubles.

Either way, this whole problem would be solved if they would play the old college format, where you play 4 singles and 3 doubles, but let your singles players play doubles as well. Then it truly is 'the best players at the best spots'.

i dunno i think it is bad sportsmanship to stack because the best arent truley playing th best, but what it seems like to me is that alliston just didnt want to play plesha and wanted to be put somewhere where he could win, but thats just me

Stacking your roster implies placing a lower ranked player ahead of a higher ranked player: i.e. placing your #3 doubles at #1 doubles ahead of 2 higher ranked teams, for the purpose of making the bottom of your roster stronger.

Switching between doubles and singles is NOT stacking, unless your #2 singles is better than your #1, or your #2 doubles is better than your #1 team. College tennis does it all the time, and we are lucky to (usually) not have a problem with it in high school.

I agree, as long as your best are at #1. Besides, Alliston may go doubles in the post season, you never know. Plus I doubt Alliston had a choice. If I were a good player and it was just a jamboree tourney that doesn't count, I would want to hit against Plesha, he's the best out there on this side of the state, if not the whole thing.
This post was edited on 3/20 10:32 PM by spokalooif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Except for that they pulled the same thing in their official league match this past week. Sunnyside won 4-1, Selah only winning the match where they place Alliston and Womack(sp?) at #1 doubles.

And regarding Sunnyside moving players around; One of their number one doubles players was gone for the McDonalds Invite, so some moving had to be done.

As far as it being ethical to move your two best players to doubles rather than what they would normally play at, I don't think it poses a problem, especially when Alliston would probably have gotten raped by Plesha, heh. :shrug:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT