ADVERTISEMENT

State Championship Update

OwenV

Sep 6, 2005
This week (1/22/07) the WIAA has decided to only allow the 3A and 4A teams to play their State Championship baseball games in Safeco. So the 1A and 2A are back to Wenatchee. Here are the reasons the WIAA cited for keeping the 1A and 2A in Wenatchee even though they have never done an actual site evaluation in Wenatchee.

1. Playing on Sunday.

Yeah I'm glad that if my kid is playing for a State Championship that he will get to play in Wenatchee on Saturday rather than playing in Safeco. I'd hate to miss church.

2. No consolation games.

Is there a big difference between 3rd and 4th?

3. No comparable site for girls.

Go find whatever the best softball field in the State is and play the softball state titles there. Do any of the volleyball state championship sites compare with the Tacoma Dome?

4. Increased Facility Charges

Maybe if the 3A and 4A weren't playing at Safeco there would be enough money for the 1A and 2A to use the Yakima Bears Stadium.

5. Relations with traditional communities that host the baseball championships.

Is it more important to keep Yakima business owners happy or give the best possible experience to the kids?

6. A Five-day event

At least now there has been some discussion about moving the championship sites, but don't forget that the WIAA thought they could just move the 1A/2A championship and no one would notice. It seems like maybe the WIAA had a "discussion" about everybody playing in Safeco just to say that they did. I don't think they ever had any intentions of moving the B's out of Yakima and the 1A and 2A out of Wenatchee. Cindy Hettinger and the WIAA handled this as poorly as possible.

I somewhat agree with you on this point about not having all classifications at Safeco, that would be a great weekend for all involved and a great weekend for any fan to watch. Another option may be is to look at the UW to see if the consolation games can be played there while the Championship games are being played at SAFECO.

I do disagree with your point on the WIAA, they weighed all the options carefully and tried to pick the best option for everyone. Playing on Sunday's is not in the best interest of any team or player. Your quote;

"Yeah I'm glad that if my kid is playing for a State Championship that he will get to play in Wenatchee on Saturday rather than playing in Safeco. I'd hate to miss church."

Many students and parents have church as a higher priority than baseball, you have to look at everyone's perspective a respect their beliefs. Would it be better to have a student play in Wenatchee, or not have them even attend the game because they are going to church. That's not for you, me, or the WIAA to decide.

This post was edited on 2/1 7:54 AM by tiger43if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

I doesn't matter if we are talking about high school, college, or professional sports. The bigger better teams play in nicer facilities. If you want a chance to play at Safeco, then go to a 3A or 4A school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT