ADVERTISEMENT

This years state VB tourney...a much different format.

CatFanz

Nov 26, 2005
an interesting article, one that I find unfair to 2A schools, Not only do they have to cram most of their state matches into 1 day of play, but 2A players will miss almost 3 days of school for this, too (players probably don't mind this, but parents do).

I hope the WIAA uses this year as a learning experiance and somehow gets us back to a 2 day format tourney, where the 2A championship can be showcased.

Changes to VB State Tournament Schedules for 2007

Those dang Dixie Chicks causing us problems again? Things will be cramped in the Toyota Center. Us Grandview folks do like the short drive though.

One can hope they (the WIAA) will learn and seek for a better situation for all of these hard working athletes. I remember when a 1A match was being played at 11:15 at night in 2003. Don't we usually reccomend that HS athletes be in bed by that time. Now we expect them to perform at their best at that time. Just wonder if the almighty dollar might be an issue...do any HS Football playoff games happen at 11:15 PM ????

The WIAA stepped in and made some changes to the Spokane Crossover on starting times and 24 hours rules this year. Good for them! But maybe they should consider the times of their showcase event, STATE, the event that all of these girls set goals for, and work for all season long.

For the 2A's in the loser bracket to have to play back to back is ridiculous. They will not even have time to eat anything. Well, they could eat whatever junk food is served at the venue, but probably won't have time to eat anything good because coolers and outside food are not allowed in the facilities. And good luck to the coaches who have 20 minutes to prepare for the next opponent.....Can one imagine if Football had 20 minutes to prepare for the next opponent???

I understand that all teams playing will be in the same boat, but really, is this the reward for making it to the State Tournament? If these teams get into a knock down dragout 5 game match, and then turn around and have to play again....unfair and not right. And your reward for winning that match? Hurry and eat and rest, because you get to play again at 6:30.

Do remember that there are probably several girls in this years state tourney that are first and last time participants. It may be only "one year" for this set up, but it is one very BIG YEAR for each of them. It has to be about the kids!

Please WIAA-let's get something fair and right for these VB Players. They deserve the same kind of consideration and treatment that FB and BB get.

Very well put. I completely agree. Why not stretch it over 3 days instead of 2. Basketball goes 4 doesn't it?

One of the greatest high school sports event used to the Indiana state basketball championship.

They play the Final Four in one day

Semi #1
Semi #2
Finals

You have to win 2 games in one day. These are high school kids who can play all day if need be, and if a team doesn't have depth then they will be hurt against the team with more depth. I still believe that depth is important in sports, but I know some people just want to see the best 5 or 6 kids on the floor.

hoopgod, I agree with you whole-heartily about the stamina of HS kids. My beef is in another direction. The 2A kids will miss almost 3 full days of classes because of this schedule (especially if they have to travel from Western Wash.) and I feel it's not fair to do that to them and then let the 3A/4A kids play primarily when it will not effect them academically.

But maybe the WIAA will rotate this schedule year to year and either 3A of 4A will get their "turn" on the Thurs/Friday schedule?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT