ADVERTISEMENT

West Valley to drop down to 2A

DjPhilweezy

Dec 8, 2006
Yeah it's official. West Valley of Yakima will join the CWAC (replacing Quincy). Any thoughts or opinions on how this will affect the CWAC?

I think they have been down some in football, but still should be competitive in the CWAC. They will be in the running for league titles in most sports. It helps having over 1000 kids.

Yeah having over 1,000 kids is a big advantage. Concerning boys sports I think they will compete but flip that to girls sports and I think WV just dominates in every aspect of girls sports

I knew they would jump at the chance to drop down and play smaller schools. They have been horrible playing schools of the same size, so they needed to drop to smaller schools to try to be competetive.

I think it has more to do with all the controversy, turmoil, and politics of the Big 9, or whatever they call that league now. They could have dropped down two years ago, but chose to opt up.

I have to agree..it seems from reading the paper..there is no assurances of anything in CBBN so they had to act fast..so they did what was best for them..they have been down in football and competitive in hoops and a lil down in wrestling..and in baseball they went to the final 4 a few years ago..plus the CWAC fans travel better for sports than the Big Nine..so gate revenue will increase..

Little Quimcy High would whip them up in football. A very improved program you have up there.

All I know is Quincy could sue the WIAA if they were forced to play a team with over 1,000 student's. Its a safety issue.

bubble, ok lets just say they have what close to 3x as many kids right?.
That is what they were talking about, the unfair numbers advantage

I get your point, but no need to exaggerate. Coupeville is listed as having 272 students, not 230. Lakewood and Cedarcrest at 603 and 702 students respectively are not "huge" 2A schools. On the contrary, they are on the smaller side of the classification.

While I understand there is no perfect way to even out the Classifications, it sure seems like the 3A division has a huge advantage. Only 300 Students separate the biggest and smallest schools, while 4A, 2A, 1A and 2B all have to play schools twice their size. A solution to this would be to put about 10 more teams in 3A. That would put the total number of 3A schools at 73, the same amount that 1A has.

2A will be interesting with some of the teams dropping down. The one team that may swing the balance of power towards an already tough Evergreen Conference is Capital. They're usually a pretty decent football team.

ADVERTISEMENT