ADVERTISEMENT

Zillah..........

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
Why is no one talking about this team. They have an experienced team with a 19-1 record. They look like a legitimate contender for the State Championship. Is Robert Slack playing?

I have mentioned Zillah. They will go deep into the tourney and should be favored to be in the final game. Slack has been playing and frequently scoring in double figures along with Dunsmore and Brady Widner. They seem pretty balanced stat wise but I've not gotten over to see them play. I can only attribute the loss to a 2B team to adjusting to a big injury, but I don't recall the specifics ir the timing. That loss does show they are vulnerable on any given night. They will likely show up at the Sundome more of an unknown than other top teams as SA could meet up with LC with the winner facing Cedar Park Christian in tri districts. We 'll get to see those others face stiff tests sooner. Of course, one could easily argue that every lose and you are out playoff game is a stiff test.

Not enough eastside posters to comment on them...My opinion is they are 1 of the top 2 teams along with Lynden Christian. Those 2 in either order is fine by me. Wouldn't be shocked, if they both make it to the dome and get put on opposite sides of the bracket, to see a championship rematch. I'm really hoping that's what we get, personally. But they are a great team, and Slack might be the best player that side of Reimer.

I HAVE BEEN FOLLOWING THE LEOPARDS WHEN I CAN. SLACK BROKE HIS HAND IN ABOUT THE THIRD GAME OF THE SEASON, AND WAS OUT UNTIL THE LAST TWO GAMES OF THE REGULAR SEASON. HE PLAYED SPARINGLY IN A WIN OVER GRANGER, AND THEN PLAYED A FEW MORE MINUTES THE NEXT NIGHT AGAINST LASALLE. HE LOOKS TO BE A LOCK DOWN DEFENDER EVEN THOUGH HE HAS TO BE AT LEAST A LITTLE OUT OF SHAPE. HE SHOULD BE SCARY ON DEFENSE WHEN HE GETS HIS LEGS BACK. ZILLAH'S ONLY LOSS THIS YEAR WAS TO 2A WAPATO ON OPENING NIGHT OF THE SEASON, AND THEY WERE UNDEFEATED IN SLACKS ABSENCE . IN THE GAMES I WAS ABLE TO CATCH WHILE SLACK WAS OUT, THE LEOPARDS HAVE PROVEN TO BE VERY DEEP. I HAVE CAUGHT A FEW NIGHTS WHEN BENCH PLAYERS WENT FOR DOUBLE FIGURES. OVERALL I HAVE NOT BEEN IMPRESSED WITH THE SCAC THIS YEAR, THEY ARE DEFINATLEY NOT AT THE LEVEL THEY WERE LAST YEAR. SO IM NOT SURE JUST HOW GOOD ZILLAH IS. I DID CATCH THEM IN THE DOME OVER CHRISTMAS AGAINST A COUPLE OF 2A TEAMS. STEILACOOM AND W.F. WEST WITH W.F. WEST APPEARING TO BE THE TOUGHER OPPONNENT OF THE TWO. THE LEOPARDS WITHOUT SLACK LOOKED PRETTY SOLID AND COMFY IN THE CONFINES OF THE DOME. WITH SLACK BACK, I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH EARLIER POSTS. A DEFINATE CONTENDER.

SORRY FOR THE CAPS...MY KEYBOARD IS STUCK ON THEM, IVE JUST GOTTEN USED TO IT...I SHOULD ADD TO MY EARLIER POST...THAT ZILLAH SHOULD MAKE A BIG STATEMENT IN THE SCAC NEXT YEAR ALSO...WIDNER IS A JUNIOR AND HAD TO BE THE BEST ALL AROUND PLAYER I SAW IN ANY OF THE SCAC GAMES I WATCHED. AND THEY HAVE A SOPHOMORE KID THAT IS ABOUT 6'4 OR 6'5 , DUNSMORE. HE STARTED THE SEASON COMING OFF THE BENCH, AND IN SLACK'S ABSENCE BECAME A STARTER...HE WAS VERY SOLID IN THE GAMES I WATCHED.

Try shaking the dust out or blowing some air into it. Otherwise a used keyboard should be easy to fine for cheap! :)

I caught the Zillah district opener last night....missed the 1st quarter, but the leopards were behind when i got there and were down by 1 at the half.I gotta think the coaching staff lit the boys up at halftime because before the half they were not defending very well, and they didnt seem to have any intensity at all. They came out in the 3rd quarter and ramped up the pressure built a lead and then coasted home. Connell appeared to be better than their record...At least on this night. They have nice size,rebounded well and shot the ball pretty well. Granger and Naches also won openers last night for the SCAC west, with Ki-Be winning from the east in overtime over Highland. I believe the saturday winners bracket matchups to be Zillah vs Naches, and Granger Vs Ki-Be.

What have Naches and Granger looked like? Last year both were very solid teams, but I know their best players were seniors.

Naches has a tall kid 6'5' or so, Cameron Walker, that has inside and out ability, more outside than inside. They also have a real nice point guard, Riley Martin, he is very solid with the ball and can shoot well... I believe Martin is a junior also...They have played pretty well when I have watched them, but they also have lost some games I wouldn't have expected them to. They are very patient on offense, and never really blow anyone out, but they never get blown out either...Seems like every game they play is a close one.
Granger has some nice players back from last year...I could be wrong but a couple of those seniors you mentioned from last year are on the team this year. Not sure if a couple of kids got a 5th year or Its also possible that the program I was looking at last year was wrong. In any case, they are pretty quick and scrappy, not alot of height. They move the ball well on offense. I have seen 4 maybe 5 of their games and in every one of them, they have gone through a scoring drought and then went on a big run, and then back to a drought. So I guess i would say they are a good team, but tend to be errattic.I would say they are not as good as they were last year, but on any given night could take down a higher ranked team team.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT