ADVERTISEMENT

2A/1A hoops

lightsout_tony

Feb 16, 2007
This board is dead outside of WIAA conversations so...what are 1A and 2A predictions around the state?

I see Prosser, East Valley and Ephrata being the front running contenders in the CWAC with Wapato, Toppenish, Grandview & Ellensburg battling for position in the middle of the pack.

In the SCAC West - I think I have to go with Zillah as the front runner, they have a strong junior class; Haven't seen LaSalle but they always have a well prepared basketball team. I dont think that Granger will be able to replace Mangarelli in their line up so I see them finishing 2nd or 3rd. In SCAC East - I can only say that Connell will be the team to beat.

What are everyone else's predictions?

In the NEA I think Freeman has to be the front runner and maybe Lakeside could challenge but I think it's going to be all Scotty all season. I'd also look for them to make a run at back to back to back. Other than Freeman and Lakeside the league looks a little down this season.

In the GNL I'd look for the big guns to be Clarkston and Pullman. Cheney or WV could give either problems but I think in the end Bantum or Greyhounds. I don't think either will challenge for the Golden but either could maybe wiggle out a placing if they can get through reagonals.

I would have to agree with lights out on his assessment. East valley, prosser and ephrata are the favorites in the cwac. Zillah and lasalle also look like they're the ones to beat in the scac. Granger won't be able to replace mengarelli. I see them finishing fourth or fifth.

Hmmmm. So losing Reddout, Zapien, Klarich, and Carpenter last year was not that big a deal. But losing Mengerelli will cause the house of cards in Spartantown to collapse? Ok

SCAC Zillah has lots of depth, good scorers and the distraction in the coaching situation is gone.
LaSalle Solid program, lots of talent from the valley and they play a lot of ball.
Granger enough players to compete and coaching will win 4 or 5 games for them.
Connell and Mabton will be there at the end to compete for one of the 8 spots to state.

CWAC Wapato won everything this summer. Beat East Valley 3 times, Ephrata as well. They have depth, speed and 7 girls who can light up the score board on any night.
Prosser will be strong again and the new coach has been around the league. He will do good things with the Stangs.
East Valley - Ephrata a toss up for 3rd.
But be aware of the Bulldogs and the Wildcats. Both teams had good summers and have been playing a lot of ball. They may both be ahead of East Valley and Ephrata.

Looking forward to watching the kids play. Good luck and good health to all.

In the SCAC West, I agree LaSalle and Zillah will be strong. Don't discount Cle Elum/Roslyn though. They beat Zillah last year and had a lead going into the 4th quarter against LaSalle at home last year before they fell apart. They only graduated one senior and the have the leagues leading scorer from last season coming back. Most of the girls played in the Spring. I see them finishing #2 or #3 in league this year and possibly making a run at State.
This post was edited on 11/30 7:52 PM by letitflyfor3

Can anyone from Wapato tell me if the rumor I heard about one of the starters being injured is true/false? Could be a big impact to that program this year.

I wonder who the distraction was tonight for the zillah program?hmm. Maybe the distraction is still there?

I saw they lost, but they were playing a 2A school. I didn't give it much thought beyond that. Is there more to the story? I was impressed with the size of Granger's win over Mabton. Looks like they've just reloaded!

It's still early but it looks like everyone underestimated Granger. Waaaaaaayyyyyyy underestimated

Its way early yes, but I don't think Granger has really played a quality opponent yet. They played a young mabton team, young burbank team, royal, and I believe tri-city prep. Nothing really to brag about just yet! I'm sure they'll be ready for the big games when they come around, but don't give them the gold ball just yet:)

Well, after watching Pullman it's going to be a long season... Clarkston might be the only quality team in the GNL.

GREAT first night of league games in the SCAC West...looks like there is quite a bit of parody this year. The good news is that we in the SCAC West should see some very entertaining games. The bad news is that I don't know that the SCAC has the firepower or a breakout elite team to go deep into the state tournament. I've seen Cashmere this year. They are a team deep with talent. I just don't think SCAC is as strong as they were last year.
Hold on to your seats because it will be a fun ride this year
Merry Christmas to everyone! I've enjoyed reading everyones thoughts.
This post was edited on 12/17 8:57 AM by letitflyfor3

I don't know about that. LaSalle is always competitive. Always strong. And last night Granger stayed with them all night before losing by 3. League is going to be a dogfight which should help get teams ready for strong competition. Looks to me like there will be two very solid teams that won't even make it to districts.

With Granger's wins over Colfax and White Swan in the Sundome Shootout I guess there can no longer be any questions that they are very strong AGAIN this year. Right?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT