ADVERTISEMENT

Best 1A pitchers EVER?

FriendOfWarchol

Sep 5, 2005
a) this could be an interesting topic and b) it will help me out with a story down the road.

I cover Kalama and will be profiling Nick LaRoy as the snow melts.

Hopefully this discussion is heavy on facts and light on adjectives.

In the 90's the sw league had some good ones. I'm not sure where they rank among the best but I'll thrown their names out there

Jake Kringen- Elma
Zane Gamewell- Tenino
Colin Wolslegel- Rochester
Evan Wolslegel- Rochester
Ed Singleton- Rochester
Ramirez from Toledo don't know his first name
Tighe Dickinson- Montesano

Just a few names I can throw out there

Most of the members of the 1A Evergreen League were part of the 2A Evco in 2000. They had to face Clay Johnson of Elma. He pitched the Eagles to a state championship. He went on to pitch at UW and finished his career at Lewis-Clark State.

Maybe I should have been more specific. I'm looking for all-time-great high school careers. Obviously, post-H.S. success is an important supplemental criteria.

But I'm really talking about the "H.S.-only" body of work.

This doesn't mean the names mentioned on this thread aren't relevant. Just wanted to clarify what I meant.

Three good one's....all from the Class of 2004

David Gruener, Life Christian (Notre Dame, U of Portland)
Dustin (DJ) Lidyard, Cascade Christian (Lower Columbia, Milwaukee Brewers)
David Murakami, Bellevue Christian

R23

i batted against both swart and ranger..both had great stuff..where did swart end up playin college ball?

Swart is at Southern Nazarene in Oklahoma, being scouted heavily by a few mlb teams

Gotta go old school on ya boys...

Dave LaBounty, Ephrata..winning pitcher of 1977 "A" championship game, got drafted by Seattle...

As far as Jorge Reyes goes...absolutely. We had him in the Columbia Basin River Dogs program and he is a great talent.
This post was edited on 4/9 8:51 AM by GCSportsEditor

Greg Fudacz Cle Elum lefty drafted by the cubs threw low 90's then ended up having tommy john.

I don't know how you can put Adam Ranger in the classification of best 1A pitchers ever. He was a solid 1A pitcher but not even close to Reyes and Swart.

Find me a pitcher that had a better year than his senior year. 11-0 with a broken wrist and a 1.2ish era for the state championship team

Point taken about Ranger....however he played in one of the weaker leagues in the state and his record and era reflected playing in the weak league. I just don't consider someone who tops out at 83 and has an average breaking pitch to be one of the best of all time.

im pretty sure being the ace for the state championship team kinda speaks for itself...

Ranger is pitching at Wenatchee JC right now and he is doing a pretty good job there

I think Ranger is a good pitcher, but not one of the best ever. The only reason he was the ace was because Forgey wasn't there, and in my opinion Wilcox could have been considered the ace as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT