ADVERTISEMENT

Charles Wright Academy's Integrity and the 3200m

Postman231

Jul 24, 2001
High drama at 1A State. With the meet winding down, and with Zillah and CWA in a dead-heat dogfight for the championship, there was an interesting occurence in the 3200. 3rd to the last event. Remaining were the javelin (Zillah had two throwers, CWA none), and the 4x400 (CWA had an entry, Zillah did not).

Zillah's Bennet Mayo ran a PR by 22 seconds in a great race, in which he outsprinted a CWA runner down the stretch to take 4th place by half a stride. However when the official scoresheet came out, the CWA runner was given 4th and Mayo 5th - 11 seconds behind 4th place, an obvious mistake. However, officials would not correct the mistake because there was no video evidence.

When combined with the javelin results, it resulted in a 9 point Zillah advantage. Had the results of the 3200 been corrected, Zillah would have an 11 point lead, making the 4x400 meaningless to the championship race. As it happened, CWA finished 3rd in the relay, giving Zillah the state title by 3 points.

However, this leaves the question, would CWA have admitted the scoring error if they had won the relay, and therefore the championship by 1 point?

And what about Bennet Mayo? He deserves his 4th place medal, not the 5th place medal he now has. I would like to see CWA officials exchange the two medals so that Mayo gets what he earned. How about it?

This is all true, I was watching from the grand stands, almost parallel with the finish line when this race finished. Mayo definatly beat the CW kid by a stride. I know most of the zillah kids and I was pretty excited for him, then I found out that they gave him fifth. I would like to see Mayo get the fourth place medal!

What was also amazing about that 3200 was Alex Crabill of Charles Wright almost breaking the meet record after 3100 meters but cramped up in the last 100 and finished third.

That was something... as soon as he fell, I though "Oh no!"

It was cool seeing that kid from Klickitat finishing the 800m in only 2:35 too, especially after falling off the track and then getting all pissed off.

At least he finished, and he owned the B boy's 3200 later.

Ya, he's a good runner but he really needed to get those glasses outta there... I bet Schloemer would have given hima test in the 3200 also

Very curious

How did this happen? I knew he was a sub-9 true 2miler and then he takes 3rd in 1A state? So how does someone cramp with only a 100 to go? Never seen this happen in a distance race because by now all muscles are warm and fine and the heat was not a factor in the race.
Was it really a cramp? Did they run it slow in order to give other teammates a chance at high placing for the team title? Anyone got the true info?

Re: Very curious

Ya, I don't know if it was a cramp or a true injury. Every one knew that Crabill was such a smart runner that he forgot to hydrate or eat right, so it must've been an injury. He started to slow with 200 meters left, then at the 100 his left thigh slowly started to bulge. Amazing how he still finished in third.

Re: Very curious

He did the exact same thing last fall on his way to winning X-C at state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT