ADVERTISEMENT

First view of the MVL...

fresh12

Feb 28, 2005
After attending Friday's meet at Prosser (which seemed to be a let's- see-how-much-Prosser-can-beat-small-schools event) and catching most of the Eisenhower Jamboree where Selah, Sunnyside, and Ellensburg all competed, here's some people that might be worth taking note on in various events for the year (disclaimer: when people like Linde from Sunnyside, Barbosa from Prosser, Standish from Ellensburg,ect. don't compete in the first meet of the year you can't look too much into this info):

100m: First, let me express the surprise of everyone watching the boys 100 and LJ and say: Damn, Brett Blanshan is good. With his 11.2 performance-he's obviously in the hunt for two event titles for league (aka Districts)and should have a great next couple years-looking forward to watching him. After him, Robinson (E-burg), Peralto (Selah) and Linde (Sunnyside-brother of the standout hurdler/volleyball player) all came in with times very close to 12 seconds. The first two would be expected to lead their teams times, but I'm very surprised Jaime Sambrano didn't pull out a faster time for the 100. I thought he was running 11.6's last year, must have been an off day. Expect him to be in the thick of things for the future.
300m: An odd Jamboree only event, but it's worth looking at to compare with 200 & 400 times. I noticed that Jonas Linde had the best time in the league by about 2 seconds. I have no idea how he looks in the 200 or 400 but this kid surprised me a bit too. Didn't know he could be a competitor, but after him Ellensburg and Selah ran a couple guys around 41/42 seconds. Looking at these times (and this is all guess work) I'd assume only Linde would challenge Wandling from Prosser (he won the 200 and 400 at the Prosser meet) in the 200 & 400 dashes (note that Barbosa didn't run the 400 though, and I've seen him clock a 50 flat in that race). 53.7 was Wandlings time in the 400 and I'm looking forward to see how he stands against Nectaly (or however you spell his name).
Distance Rundown: I never watch it too closely but it looks like Isak Bergman from E-burg is going to be quite the challenge for the previously mentioned Prosser distance standout and Gary R.(I forgot the kids last name) from Selah. The Sunnyside girls tandum of Messmore and Candido may have a chance to battle with some of WV's better runners. Sunnyside's best distance runner at the meet was easily Scott (younger brother to a solid X-country runner)and Selah was a mixed bag of mediocrity but I know their team boasts more talent and they'll definitely look better when the real meets come.
LJ: Blanshan wins by a foot at 20-2, Lugo from WV will grab at least a foot farther than that, and I think I saw a Prosser jumper grab a 19-4. Could be good comp. up there. Hanford had a kid on their basketball squad that was dropping high 19's last year I believe too and is only a sophomore. Don't know the name but I think that's enough detail for Hanford track members to know who I'm talking about. And to give a quick note on Sunnyside again, Sambrano's best mark of 17-0 is way lower than his better marks last year. Watch him get into the high 18's and make a run in a few league meets. Just an off day for him but I'll stick by my pick that it'll be a great year for him. Besides, everyone will far improve upon their first meet marks.
Relays: E-burg won their 4x400 easily (out of the league teams) and comparing them to the best groups at the Prosser meet, Wapato's winning mark being nearly 20 seconds slower shows a big gap from top to bottom. I know WV has a decent group together (or at least should), not sure about Selah but I think they could sport a decent group looking at some of the kids they have) and Sunnyside's 4-min plus time isn't a true reflection of the team. Their 4x400 from last year which was made up of fresh and soph sprinters ran under 3:50 I believe so we'll see what they pull out if that same group goes at it again.
Girl's HJ: 5-2 won at Ike for Moblee (E-burg) and 5-0 was the best mark for Selah's Meloy but Jordyne Jaquish from SS was jumping 5-2 last year and couldn't compete because she was sick so factor her in for a good battle for the HJ title. And then there's Standish and it's a whole 'nother issue...
Girl's 100: Ruelas won for SS, followed by Preston(E-burg), West (Selah), and Rivera(Selah) all around .5 behind her. I believe a Prosser girl ran a similar time, and waiting for what Hanford and WV pulls out, it could be a good run for the top.
Girl's Hurdles: Linde,Raap, and Standish all weren't on hand for the first girl hurdle races of the year so theres not much of a point to get into it, honestly.

In Conclusion: The most notable runners between the two events were Wandling (Prosser), Candido (SS), Linde (SS), Blanshan (Selah), and Bergman (E-burg). Not that they were the best necessarcily (though some of them of course are *cough* Bergman and Blanshan), but ran better than expected or showed the ability to compete in upcoming league events.

That's all I've got for now, once I see some numbers for WV and Hanford I can give a better rundown on everything. In about a week, I'll put out a top 5 for each event or something like that to help keep track of whose been doing what. Any thoughts/comments on the above? Shoot away.

Just got home from work and noticed these posts and after reviewing the papers and the online time I must say I'm impressed with how well the talent is spread out among teams. But obviously WV and Hanford are stacked and I'll definitely be watching the Hanford/Sunnyside/Kiona-Benton meet this week, then the Prosser/Sunnyside one next week. I'll be sure to check out G'View and give a rundown on them for ya'll. A few kids over there seem to be strong competitors but I'll leave that for now since this is a post about the MVL.
Biggest Accomplishments: Bergman from E-burg is here to stay. Lorance, Barbosa and Isak B. should make it distance competitions fun, but definitely watch the young Sunnyside distance group; they have potential.
Also, Blanshan- wow, the kid is stud and theres no reason to elaborate we've all the the Junior Olympian's feats. Although, I'll predict right now that Lugo runs away with the long jumping title for the MVL and then triple isn't even a question.
About some of those sunnyside athletes mentioned: I noticed that their throwers, Smith, Rinehold, ect. seemed to struggle. No where near their PR's if I'm correct, so watch them to come up and get things done in upcoming meets. Also, young Schilperoort, Linde (the volleyball star who I heard was going to play at WSU) and Jaquish all didn't compete. They have a strong girls team when looking at their top runners and they'll have people competing in every event all year. Their problem is a lack of depth and just overall numbers. For the boys sprinters: Sambrano is faster than younger Linde. The kid is athletic and just had an off meet. Stil I think both may have a shot at Regionals if they trim their times under 11.9. But with Linde's 39 second 300 I'm wondering if he can do something good in the 400 and if so, I wonder what that means for their 4x4 team which ran a plus-4 min on Saturday and I thought ran well under that like Fresh12 said last year with a group of freshman. Maybe the kids are gone, I haven't checked out any practices. But still, it was the first meet can't look too closely into anything. Good job by Graham, Joliff, Ruelas, and Candido though; all seniors who should have a solid year. I wish them all the best. Well, until Thursday that all I've got in me- good luck to the grizz tracksters though if miss it and end up at the Prosser meet instead somehow ;).

Nobody seems to be posting anything on any of the prosser throwers or any throwers at that. If anybody has any info on the top throwers in the MVL....please inform me on who is at the top.

i like how you don't have anything about WV when they boast the favorite for the 110 and 300 hurldes in jarom smith. Also the STATE favorite. Nothing about Chris Glaser from WV in the 3200 when he was 5TH at STATE last year. And Spencer Douglas from WV who was returing off a double quad tear last year and was still second in the 100 & 200 at districts. He is the returning favorite in the 100 and the 200, not the two other kids from selah or prosser. Especially not in the 200. Then havent even made it under 23. All from last years district results.

Too tired to get into this, but I'll be helping out at Holder's tomorrow and we can all look at that for a good sign of whose good in the area.

Um..thanks? The addition of info is always appreciated but the tone is not. Seriously, does any read when things are posted? My remarks and I think Fresh's too were long before Hanford or WV had any big meets and that should be noted because they've both got great athletes. I'll give another rundown soon. Just relax and get your panties off the keyboard...
This post was edited on 3/31 10:44 PM by LVGamerif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

ADVERTISEMENT