ADVERTISEMENT

GIFTS

OUTCAST1

May 10, 2003
For all the years i have been coaching i have yet to figure outwhy the heck the NCAA stops kids from recieving clothes, or food money, or rent money as a gift.
But you have teams like Friends of hoop that are allowed to have nike give his players free shoes, warm ups and uniforms.
Nike also pays there travel expenses to and from tournaments and there lodging.
Someone please tell me how this is fair ?
High school kids can recieve freebies but college athletes cant.
FOH coaches go to high school games all year long recruiting players from other programs. How can we keep our players when we cant compete with the gifts he is giving and the opportunities that his players get that other players dont?
In my opinion any company that can benefit off the future success of a player should not be allowed. It is a conflict of interest.

This post was edited on 4/22 7:39 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 4/22 7:40 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 4/22 7:40 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 4/22 7:44 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

LOL!!! LOL!!!

It's called sponsorship. It's just like if you coach a team, and you can get someone to sponsor that team. For instance, Dale Chihuly used to sponsor an AAU team and pay for their travel, tournament entry fee's, etc. Those things aren't considered personal gifts. They are TEAM sponsorship.

You seem bitter about something, because for some reason you only mentioned FOH. There are A LOT of teams out there in the state of WA who receive corporate sponsorship from somebody, such as Seattle Rotary, Emerald City, Easter WA Elite, YES, etc. All of these teams, or at least the top teams in each of these programs are fully sponsored. FOH provides Travel, Uniforms, and shoes. They do not have warm-ups, etc.

He provides his kids with the best opportunity to be seen by scouts, and NCAA Division 1 coaches. Who wouldn't want to play for him??? He also always has the best team in the area, so it only makes sense for a kid to leave your YMCA program to play for a team that is going to travel nationally, and get him a chance to play in front of the coaches of his dreams. With you and your program he might only be seen by the local Juco's.

Jim Marsh had 3 McDonalds All Americans his roster last year, and about half of his team went on to play division 1 hoops. He doesn't STEAL kids, he offers them an opportunity to play for him, and then that kid makes the decision on his own. Instead of being mad at Jim Marsh for putting together an elite summer team, that is winning tournaments, and getting our state the respect it deserves, put your anger and hate in another direction. He is not doing anything wrong, and you just sound mad that your team isn't good enough to have any sponsorship.

Oh, the NCAA does allow kids to receive Rent, Clothes, free travel, etc. It's called an NCAA scholarship. And if you know anyone who has one, that means they deserve it. You'd also know that they get free basketball shoes, etc.

You don't have a clue what your talking about.

The gifts that the NCAA doesn't allow are monetary gifts such as MONEY, CARS, JOBS, etc. Not team jerseys, team shoes, team travel, team lodging.

Next time think before you post.

Stop the hate too, I remember your screen name, and you were the one consistantly hating on a certain Curtis HS player, who also happens to be one of Jim Marsh's FOH players. LOL You are hilarious, and it's sad.

Re: LOL!!! LOL!!!

I never said Jim Marsh was not a good guy. He is a good man.
And i am not putting him down. he gives kids great opportunities.
He is 5 times the coach i would ever hope to be.
You never heard me hate on any Curtis player so get your facts straight.
I challenge you to show me 1 post where i said anyhting about any Curtis player.
But you are wrong when you say that some kids gont get Gifts.
Yes sponsors are something every team would like to have. But what those sponsors give should be entry fee money, equipment and uniforms. Not travel expenses, lodging, and shoes (especially numerouse pairs).
College players CAN NOT recieve shoes except for the uniform issue. Nor can they recieve rent money.
A scholarship gives them lodging in the dorm, not off campus rent money. They can eat on campus in the cafeteria. They are not given food money.
Nor can they recieve food as a gift from anyone but family.
You need to read the NCAA guide lines before you go popping off at the mouth.
Also , ECBA is funded by ECBA not a private org. Yes is funded by donations from ex-players and small co. not 1 major corp.
Rotary is sponsored by the Rotary club of seattle. Not a huge corp.
Major shoe companys should not be involved in high school sports.
if they want to sponsor, then let them stick to giving that money directly to the schools and there teams. There are a lot of high schools hurting for funds.

half the stuff you put on your post makes no sense, read and learn the rules before you spout off.
You are a little sensitive, you must have friends on the team.
And by the way, i know FOH is the best team around.
And i apologize for singeling them out.
But lets get it straight,. The major shoe corps are in this for one reason
To have the next superstar wearing there product before the other guy does.
How much you want to bet that Martell Webster will sign a shoe contract with Nike at sometime in the future.
Coincidence, i think not. I feel sponsors that can benefit off of a players future success should be looked at closer.

To all the players on FOH , i wish them all the best of luck. I know a lot of them personally.
Hopefully it will open the door to a college education.
I am not hating on the players, just the process.
This post was edited on 4/22 7:32 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

You're correct, I didn't mean to say you were hating on the kid from Curtis, and I apologize. I had you mixed up w/ another poster, and I should've done my research before I posted that.

And it was just wierd to me that you would single out a team like that. Seattle Rotary is fully funded by Adidas, they are named after the Rotary Boys and Girls club. Not the Seattle Rotary Foundation. They are a fully functional Adidas Grassroots Program. Just look at their uniforms, the shoes on their feet, their headbands/wristbands, etc. Adidas supplies them with jerseys, shoes, travel, lodging, etc. The same things that Nike supplies FOH with.

ECBA was once a Nike basketball program, but they were horrible and lost their sponsorship. They didn't do as well as was expected of them, so when their contract was up, it wasn't renewed. And they are funded by a big company. It may not be a global company, but they fork enough money to send NUMEROUS teams around the nation all spring/summer.

Yeah, there are a lot of High Schools hurting for funds, and they deserve some kind of aid, but that is not Nike, Adidas, or Reeboks problem. That problem lies within the cities that they are in, and the government. Nike Adidas and Reebok all have the right to sponsor whomever they want, and fly whatever team they want to wherever they want. It's not against any NCAA rules, and has been going on for the past 20+ years. In situations where rules are broken, they are brought to light. Jim Marsh and FOH is one of the best run Nike programs in the country. Without FOH, or their Nike Sponsorship, WA wouldn't have had 3 kids represented in the McDonalds All American Game. Just like without Seattle Rotary and their Adidas Sponsorship, Marvin Williams wouldn't be the household name that he is today.

Without these shoe companies, the kids from our state wouldn't get the chance to be seen on a national level. They wouldn't gain the recognition that they need to be invited to these elite level camps, and tournaments. All the tournaments that FOH is in are invitation only. And they are played in front of the top coaches in the country.

College kids receive shoes, warm-ups, underarmor, practice gear, etc. And when I say they get their "rent" paid for, I meant free student housing, free meals in the cafeteria, free travel, free lodging, free EVERYTHING. They are student athletes, who are representing their instutions athletically. You cannot be so naive as to think that all the kids get is one pair of shoes to go with their uniforms.

Unlike you, I am all for the sponsorship of summer teams. Without that sponsorship, these kids wouldn't have the opportunities to see different parts of the country, they wouldn't get to play against the best kids in the country, and they wouldn't get nearly as many opportunities as they do when traveling with these "Shoe Sponsored" teams. Martel Webster would've never been who he is today without Seattle FOH (Nike). Marvin Williams wouldn't be at UNC today without Seattle Rotary (Adidas). The list goes on and on.

You make good points. Thank you. Thats why i am asking.
But I will disagree when you say that players would not have made it without these teams. A lot of players go to college without playing for them. But these teams sure do help.
I am all for sponsors of these teams. I guess i just have a hard time with shoe co. being involved.
Thanx for straightening me out on certain things.
maybe this conversation will help stop rumours that go around.

Good luck to everyone this summer at the premier league and tourneys abroad.
This post was edited on 4/22 8:22 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}
This post was edited on 4/22 8:22 AM by OUTCAST1if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

FOH was started by George Karl. He also set up an FOH group in Milwaukie when he coached there. They did fund raising, King Holiday Hoopfest was their major fund-raiser in the early days. Adidas came on board early on as a FOH sponsor as well. When George left town there was a falling out between some of the original FOH guys and some ended up with Rotarey. Adidas went to Rotary to help sponsor. FOH was without a shoe sponsor for several year. They then got And-1 two years ago and when that group of kids did so well nationally, Nike jumped on board. Nike had sponsored ECP but they didn't do real well and were dropped. Previously Nike had sponsored A "pre-YES" Rotary squad coached by Lou Hobson, the one with Smiley, Simmons, Ed Roy etc. They went their seperate ways after that summer. Nike then was involved with Gary Payton and Vin Baker's team. That team was Payton-Baker Pinnacle for a while then travelled under the Seattle Nike moniker (when Martell was a freshman and they had the Twins et al). There was a team from up in Whatcom County a few summers ago with a sponsorship, can't recall the name but it was a local sporting goods company, Northwest something or other. CAYA sponsored teams back a few years ago. There are all sorts of sponsorships out there. The shoe companies are the ones people seem to take note of. There are high school teams receiving shoe company sponsorships as well.
College players recieve tuition, room and board (dorm or if they are in a situation where they can live off campus rent is in fact a legal expense), books, travel, lodging on the road and at times per-diem to cover meals while on the road. I also believe they get laundry money. They get tutors they do not have to pay for as well. It is a very nice package when you put a dollars and cents value to it. The sad thing is that many athletes cannot afford to take a date out to a concert etc. The NCAA meanwhile makes billions (not millions) of dollars off their efforts. I am a firm believer that college athletes should receive a stipend. I think 150 bucks a month would be a good place to start. At least a kid would have a little money to go out and take in a movie and a pizza once in a while. Chris Weber got 600K from that Michigan booster as I recall, and people were aghast. Meanwhile the NCAA and the University of Michigan made a ton of money off his jersey sales. Perhaps if he had gotten a little cash, the temptation would not have been so great. There are plenty of hundred dollar hand-shakes still going on out there as well.

large william

I thought G. Karl started Hoopaholics, not FOH.
Who started Hoopaholics ?

Re: large william

Price Johnson was the head guy with Hoopaholics, both the teams and the attire. He was very close to George, even moved to Milwaukie I seem to recall, when George left town. Jim Marsh, current FOH coach, also coached with Price and the Hoopaholics teams. They did Vegas in 1999 but not sure if they ever fielded teams after that.

I have no life, ha. Well actually I do now, I just didn't there for a 8 years or so while I over-dosed on hoops. Good luck at WPSL and have fun with those BCI rules.

LW, nice to see your name in these parts again. Hope all is well.

Thanks CAmes. Life is good, enjoying the warm weather in West Texas. My tomatoes are already budding. Miss hoops, it is all about football here but that's OK by me. Worked part time for local paper last fall covering h/s f-ball, mainly six-man and a few 1A and 2A games. Also got a few 3A and 4A b-ball games during playoff time. There are very few off-season hoops things going on around these parts though so my weekends are not spent driving from gym to gym any more, oh well. Missed those good WCL football games last fall. I do keep up with how the "Old Guy" with the gold ballcap is doing...

Billiam

how can a man with tiny basketballs running through his blood...

live in a state that breathes *ugh* FOOTBALL

haha
take care buddy

It's dirty work Skinny, but somebody's gotta get r done. BTW, I dropped it down to about 70 when I rolled through Thorp on day-1 of my move. I honked but maybe you didn't hear it. :)

ADVERTISEMENT