ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me...

jakesports

Mar 1, 2008
Is it just me, or does this seem to be a down year in girls' basketball? I'm not trying to discredit any of the athletes/teams, but I just feel like the state tournament this year hasn't generated as much excitement as in years past.

no I think it is a downward trend in interest. Next year you might be saying the same thing. Once the games get rolling though, it will be better

jakesports -

it is just you

AR is in top 25 in country Kentwood returning champs, LC recent 3 time champ, Garfield very athletic, EW loaded but got tuff draw, MP & LS have no bug guns but will out work you every time, BellPrep girls wow, FW missing 2 but sitll wow.

This year will be one of the best in recent years! I only wish I could make it! I already have a state tourney next week to go to!

Ok, but compare this tournament to prior years.

In 2007 we had Courtney Vandersloot, Angie Bjorklund, Kristi Kingma, Ashley Corral, and a slew of other Division 1 players from the Spokane area that were all competing at the same time in the state tournament. That made for a really exciting week.

I know you made a point that Riverside is ranked among the top in the nation, but I truly believe that the top 3 teams in 2007 could probably beat them handedly. Even in the year after that- 2008 was a pretty strong year as well.

And though LC recently 3-peat at the 4A level and KW is the reigning state champs, they're not the same teams they were before. KW lost both Vandersloot and Moore, and though Huerta is certainly good and they have a solid starting five, I don't really think the team compares to the other KW teams in the past few years. The same could really be said about all the teams, I think.

I don't know, I guess we'll see in the upcoming days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT