ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next season..........

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
...2old4this already mentiond King's and Seattle Academy as teams to watch. I think Okanogan will be very tough as well. With All-State point guard Justin Rivas leading the way, the Bulldogs return 9 varsity roster players from a team that finished 4th at the State Tournament. In the NWC I don't see a dominant team. Lynden Christian and Mount Baker will be in the mix within the Conference. King's looks like the solid favorite in District 1.
This post was edited on 3/3 6:20 PM by Warrant3

I agree with Okanogan, Kings and Seattle Academy. I'll also throw Cashmere in there. Boyd returns and look like they only lose 2 significant seniors. Brewster should be another with all their young guys a year older. Lynden Christian returns Hommes and I'm sure they will reload. Woodland out of district 4 returns a bunch

I'll take the bait Warrant3. It will be a great 1A season again next year, You are right about Okanogan. That league in general will be vewry tough. Cashmere returns a lot and keep in mind Brewster started 3 Freshman. The overall strength will be in the CTL. Also in the east will be Zillah. They return a ton and also will be hungry after the early exit.

In the west, outside of King's there is a lot of rebuilding to do. Up north Meridian and Baker return the most but I would not count LC out especially by years end. In the Nisqually I will go with CPC with 2 starters and a number of reserves returning. Vashon returns a bunch and Seattle Christian still has Miller. In the southwest I see things being down. Toledo and Kalama graduate a bunch but return enough to be my picks. I see King's the District 1 winner, Seattle academy the District 2 winner and CPC being the district 3 winner.

I see Okanogan and King's being the early favorites. Should be a great summer.

here's my assessment from watching most of the games in
Yakima and looking at the program:

Cashmere is losing two big scorers but brings back Boyd and has size returning
as well, they should be back. CPC is losing most of their size, but like
Cashmere, returns a big score in Dreschel. Depending on how the rest of the
TriD shake out, they could be in the mix. Granger is losing 8 seniors and they
were probably the one team that didn't match up well with anyone at state.
Don't see them being back. King's loses their leading scorer but brings back a
chunk of their team. Should be back. With the exception of Hommes, LC losing
most of their starters, most of their size and a good chunk of their rotation.
They always seem to reload, but suffering big losses. Question mark. Okanogan
only losing two seniors from a good team and Rivas a great player. Should be
back. Depending on non-league schedule, Seattle Academy could be undefeated
again coming in, but could see them struggle to get out of TriD, though Hobbs
and Davidov give them a good mix of inside and outside. Toledo is losing too
many guns and all their size. McEwen and Wood too small to do it alone, but the teams aggressively goes after rebounds and plays solid defense. Nevertheless, don't
see them back.

I think that Kings will be very tough, Okanogan will be back and so will Cashmere. I think that LC will struggle early especially in the NWC, but they will be a team built for the post season. Thats what DeBoer does with a lot of his teams. I think Hommes will grow and bulk up a bit, and lead the Lyncs along with the current freshman Roetcisoender. Not the team they were this year for sure, but they will be tough. Mt. Baker will also be tough. Meridian? They will be decent. Especially with the Garcia kid.

Yeah, I see this as Toledo's last hurrah for awhile. By the time they reload in 2 yrs, they will probably be in the B ranks. But as to next yr, great defense will only take you so far w/o size, and they will be small and scrappy. Woodland shows a lot of promise with most of their starters returning but they do not have a lot of size either. They will probably be one of the top teams down south, so may make it to Yakima, but competing there may be difficult. Kalama has 2 6'2 kids in Shagool and Bannister back and they'll be tough. I also hear they have a 6'6 freshman but whether he will be ready to contribute next yr remains to be seen. But they also have a lot of shoes to fill. Kings Way has a nice group of young players with size and guards to match. They placed in the state B's last yr before moving up and they may be the team to watch down south. Seton Catholic may also surprise some people next yr as they had some decent young players w size. Up north, Forks had some young kids with size, but after that, the league drops off fast. Hoquim may develop into something but they realy struggle to get anything going from one game to the next. They were the most underachieving team all yr, outside of Kalama in the post season.

buff: not so sure it's fair to throw Kalama under the bus because of their "post-season". They lost two games: one each to the two teams that played for the title.

That comment I made was in reference to watching their other 2 district games prior to district championship and then their regional. I also caught one of their games after their loss to Toledo at their place and they just didn't have the fire they had early. As I said in an earlier post, it seems like they just peaked to early. It's really unfortunate because they had a heck of team, a great season, and I would have loved to seen them in the tourney. Great group of kids and an unfortunate ending.

Fair enough, but King's beat Kalama more or less the same way they beat LC, up tempo defensive pressure, so no shame getting caught in that buzzsaw. I only saw Kalama at the end of the year, so no earlier reference point. I guess any team that has the league MVP and 4 first team all-league selections that doesn't make it to state I guess you could say they underperformed. By the way, I assume Rakoz musthave made first team all league, right?

He did. He would probably have split it with the Wall kid as they split the league title except he missed the first 4 games due to a high ankle injury that sidelined him and then came back slow over the next 4 games. The game they lost to Kalama at home was his first full game back and I heard he was only about 75% and didn't really get to where he could play w/o pain till about Feb. Not taking anything away from the Wall kid. A great kid, who had a great season, and was very deserving.

Woodland should be the front runner in the trico league, but don't count out King's Way for their young group or Toledo as tradition can take you a long way. Kalama will still be around, too. In the Evergreen league most teams will lose their scorers except for Elma, which returns just about everyone, so if they can win some games and gain the confidence they could easily make post season. Forks will be good as they return some players from last year's team. Hoquiam should be in the mix as they return four or five players from their regional tournament team. However, It will be quite the challenge for any of these teams to ever make it to Yakima unless they are #1 in the district because they have to get through Tri123...As we saw this year only eventual state champions Toledo...the year before Toledo and Kalama...and the year before that, only Onalaska.

Not sure a 20 and 19 win seasons are "underachieving" with both getting to the regional tournament. So neither team made it to the elite eight....but LC Defending state champions which finished with 23 wins and Kings who finished second only losing the eventual state champions Toledo.....and by the way a team that beat them (Kalama)
So not sure you could throw either one of these teams under the bus...with the teams they lost to finishing second and fifth in state

Ok Hooper, obviously you're a sw guy to have an idea about teams to watch next yr. I can and will retract the underachieving label I put on Kalama, but they were a team that had made it to Yakima last yr and had everyone back except one, who they replaced with Nieman who was pretty good, athletic. They had an outstanding point and a bunch of guys that could all handle it and shoot it. I saw them play a couple times early, then in the middle of the season and then late. By the time Districts rolled around they struggled with every team they played and they played tired. They looked like a team that had played 35 games not 24 and I think they simply peaked to early. They had a great season but just didn't have anything left to get back to Yakima where they deserved to be, so I felt it was an example of underachieving not getting there. A great season by any standard, but still not elevating to that level everyone thought they would. I don't know, maybe everyones expectations were simply to high but I don't think so watching them play in January. They had all the pieces and they were tough. Yes, two good teams beat them but if you want to be the best, you have to beat the best. As far as Hoquim, this was a team everyone in the coaching staff and community had hung their hats on since they were in middle school. Injuries, kids quiting, grades, and discipline issues were just to much of a distraction, and some of these happened right up into the District tourney. A good season with 19 or so wins, yep. But once again, in Dec. I thought they would be the team to beat in the District tourney with all the tools they had returning but just to many side issues that held them back from reaching their full potential. If you don't reach your full potential is this considered underachieving? I guess it's all a matter of opinion, and opinions are like bellybuttons, everyone has one, that's just mine. Had no intention of throwing anyone under the bus. The real unfortunate point is that if we still had the same old 16 team format where you had a 2 and out instead of a one and done format, both those teams would have gotten to the state tourney and maybe played out well.

It's worth noting that the Lynden Christian JV team this past season finished 10-2 playing against many 2A teams within the NWC. The only JV team with a better JV record was Lynden at 12-0. The LC C-Team also had a wining record at 7-4. The Lyncs appear to be ready to reload next season.

Well put.....and I agree! The format absolutely is horrible and it's just saving WIAA $ not the schools!
I could write a book if I go into that, so I'll just keep it at that. But your assesment on each school is
pretty much right on from my observation as well. Any yes, I am a SW guy, so I'm a little more
familiar with the teams in this area than any where else and had the opportunity to watch a few
games this year mostly the trico and evergreen....but "looking to next season?" should be interesting.
We should probably have a good idea after summer basketball

Yeah, and I hope the SW teams can continue to build on some of the recent success. It just seems like since we went to the new format, it's really tough for SW teams to get out of their regionals. I think we've sent 4 representatives out of 16 slots the last 3 yrs with Ony taking a 4th and Toledo going 4th last yr and winning it this yr.

I expect King's to be one of the heavy weights next season. They'll miss Taylor, but have other guys that should step up. The only bad news is that they will have the target on their back from the opener.

Mansfield is not fielding a team this year only 5 to 6 kids. so the mclean kid is on the move I heard pateros or Brewster a top 3 athlete in ncw. hands down!!!!!

In the SWW Trico, Woodland returns a bunch, Kalama, Seton Catholic and Kings Way return significant portions of their rosters. I will pick Kings Way and Woodland as the top two at this point in the pre season, In the Evergreen Tenino lost all of varsity and coach, Hoquiam has a couple of athletes back but lost a good number of key performers to grad and transfer. Elma and Forks probably have the most returning.

Tough news for the Lynden Christian Lyncs as there top player Hommes will miss the entire season as he went down with a Torn ACL in summer ball...Another big loss for the Lyncs a big minutes guy if not a starter Blake Mellema will also miss the entire season as he will be having a hip surgery I believe. As warrant previously mentioned that the Lyncs are built for the future I must believe that most Lyncs will be looking 2 years ahead when Hommes will have a year to recover and come back strong as a senior. Don't want to see this happen to any kids.

Terrible to hear that about the Hommes kid... He is a nice player... Lets hope for a speedy recovery...

Okanogan will be tough only losing one starter. Justin Rivas is a stud but I've also witnessed him kind of quitting on occasions. Brewster will be good with the dreisen kid back, but one of their freshman starters transferred to cashmere which will hurt them unless coach Taylor moves someone in, like he has done his whole coaching career. Cashmere will be tough with the Boyd kid back and now a shooter to help out if they try to run people at him. CTL should be a interesting year that might come down to coaching.

Warrant3 it is always interesting to see what we were talking about back a year ago after the tourney. There was some great insight on here from guys all over the state.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT