ADVERTISEMENT

Looking to next year....

Warrant3

Dec 15, 2006
....and it's never too early, I see Clover Park as the team to beat. They have David Crisp and Ahmaad Rorie, two Division 1 prospects back, along with 2nd Team All-State wing Xavier Means. Ahmaad Rorie has already been offered by Cal. He's a big time baller.
Lynden should make some noise, but they will miss Nate Wielenga big time.
Grandview is another team that should be ready to make a run.
What other teams around the State should we be keeping an eye on?

I'd say Lynden is the team to beat.
I'll give CP credit for their returnee's, but they have some holes. They rest on defense, and they are soft inside. They could also get out coached. They do have the raw talent to content.

Pullman has a good group returning, and Anacortes could be better. They lose Welliver, but return 3 2B-fig scorers, and Johnson as a soph.

West Valley of Yakima drops down to 2A next year and will be loaded. Had a stud junior class this year that came within one game of the 3A regionals.

All 3 of these teams will be right there but Lynden is the cream of the crop. Warrant3 I agree Weilinga is a loss but I believe they will be better with Shine replacing him. He is a better defender and the team concept will be more in tact. Also the sleeper is the 6-6 freshman who will likely be a 6-8 sophomore. Hastings could be the 3rd best big man in the league next year coming off the bench for Meyer. I believe the kid is a d-1 prospect. Phelps and Martin will be solid reserves. They may be a top 5 team in any classification.

I actually forgot about Shine. I couldn't see where they would get those points from, but that makes sense. D-1 prospect is pretty high praise for a Freshman who saw little playing time. I think I'll reserve judgement on that one. I like Lynden alot, and I expect them to be back in Yakima again next year. The thing is, it's so hard to win one Championship....two in a row is really tough. Clover Park will be very good next year, and there will be a few teams dropping down that may muddy the waters. Folks may have forgotten, but Squalicum gave Lynden fits this year because they were a difficult matchup for the Lions. It's a long ways between now and the next Championship game. One bad matchup can spoil the whole thing.

The reclass "drop-downs" do need mentioning. Don't know much about them, but W.Valley-Yak is traditionally strong in many sports. Lake Washington is dropping to 2A, but lost a lot from this year's 4th place-3A team. Sammamish, Capital and Bremerton also now 2A.

As good as anyone is, they all still have that regional WTS/LO game lerking.
This post was edited on 3/7 9:00 AM by cougarhouse

I think Lynden can thank Lindbergh for helping them make it a bit easier this year as they knocked CP and Squally out.

On a side note, Warrant, my cousin said he met you at state in Yakima. He was cheering for Lynden.

ADVERTISEMENT