ADVERTISEMENT

Lynden 54 Squally 54 Going to OT

Re: FINAL Squally wins by 4

Squally starters were iron men with the minutes played. Great game by Pierce and Maddux

Squalicum is in great shape to run the table. Lynden has a tricky game on Thursday down at Anacortes.

Pierce and Mattix both played well, but Qualls was the difference in the second half for Squalicum. And they still have to play Anacortes as well down the road...should be interesting.

Fun game to watch tonight...a rematch at District would be well worth the drive!

Ok, those of you who are much smarter than I answer me this:

Why when Lynden came from 3 down to go ahead by 9 (12 unanswered points) did Lyndens coach Roper sub not one, not two, but three starters????????

The Lions had amazing momentum and he halted it for the Storm.

Perhaps Roper thought he would keep his momentum and pressure up by keeping "fresh" guys in the game. I have kept hearing how deep Lynden's bench is. Squalicum gave 2 boys very limited minutes for his starters.

My questions:
1. why didn't Lynden put the heat on BJ to get him in foul trouble early in the second or third quarters? Once BJ was out, SQ's only other option allowed Lynden to break down an 8 point lead.
2. With all of Lynden's athletes, why don' they press and take advantage of their atheticism and create some turnovers?

It will be fun to see these two play again. It was anyone's game.

-Passion8

Although Squally has to play both Anacortes and Sehome (at home) at the end of the season. Lynden is at Anacortes and home to BE which appear to be their toughest games left.

BTW, do all conference games count or just the 2A ones?

Lynden played 8. That's what they usually play. As far as pressing, other than Clover Park, which team has anyone that can consistently stay in front of the two Squalicum guards.

You're right Warrant but subbing 3 when you are finally ahead (for the first time in the game) and when your players are running on all cylinders was like poking a hole in the balloon - all the air went out. It was 3 minutes into the 3rd quarter, they weren't in foul trouble and their main shooters were hitting, they were stealing the ball and getting turnovers. Confusing

I agree with you Chance. You made an excellent point last night about the subs. I've got to believe they know they screwed up a little bit.

Ah Warrant... I would expect you to disagree with (nearly) any point I make. Lynden's 3 subs played significant minutes THROUGHOUT the game. Squalicum's 2 subs played VERY LIMITED minutes throughout the game. Lynden frequently subbed 2 and 3 at at time. Do the math...

I witnessed Sehome's boys did a pretty fair job of staying with SQ's guards in the press creating turnovers. I think Anacortes guards could probably do pretty well too. BTW, If you watch closely, you would discover that there is only ONE Squalicum guard who regularly handles the ball (ie: dribbles it up the court).

Warrant, Chance is questioning the wisdom of Roper here - or at the very least - asking the "why" question. We do know from prior posts that questioning the coaching tends to ruffle your feathers...

Keepin' it real,

-Passion8

Warrant: apologies as I was replying when you were replying (time stamp). Apparently, you do have some common sense about you.

-Passion8
cool.gif

To answer Smallpox, all 13 league games count. Tonight's winner has a chance to run the table and win the nwc - I'd say Lynden has the easier road than Anacortes, after tonight's game, that is.

Playing Anacortes at Anacortes tonight will be tough. Anacortes has an accurate 3 pt shooter to stop. Lynden's 3 pt shooters last nite looked a little rattled, well one of them. I agree with cougarhouse that Lynden has a little easier road. That said team Anacortes was at the Squally game last night and they have yet to meet and they haven't played Sehome. Lynden will have to play BE but it is at Lynden and the other games although they could be challenging - they shouldn't be.

Now you're telling me Sehome does play some pretty fair basketball, after posting a few nights ago you weren't "surprised" they got clown-stomped by 30+. Before that it was their coach sucked.
Most of the time I've seen Lynden press it has been man to man pressure. There's no way they stay in front of the Squally guards with that kind of pressure.
This post was edited on 1/26 6:18 PM by Warrant3

I don't care what anyone says about you Warrant, you are OK in my book. (coaching at Sehome is lacking...especially on the offensive side but the boys play hard)

-Passion8

Oh Warrant, one more thing... Why didn't Lynden play zone since SQ only made 2 threes and big Maddux had his best game ever?

-Passion8

Maybe you should email Roper and ask him. Man, this coaching stuff is easy isn't it Passion.

Just looking for ideas and answers to the obvious. You dont really have an idea do you? Don't take it personal Warrant.

-Passion8

lol. I think if Roper did anything wrong it was his substitution pattern. Beyond that I think he knew exactly what to do.
I'll be happy to discuss basketball with you anytime Passion, but the condescending remarks and put downs have no place around here.
This post was edited on 1/28 2:50 PM by Warrant3

Thisis not my fight but since I made 2 trips to Whatcom county in 1 week I will pipe in. Coaches question themselves after the game is over all the time. I can't imagine Roper and or Dickson are any different. I don't think either of them care if others question them either. It is part of the game. Coaches blow it all the time just like players make turn overs. doesn't mean they are bad coaches. I bet Roper asked himself the same question, " I wonder if I would do that the same way again" To be honest I thought the same thng when it happened. I saw him do it 3 or 4 other times too. Maybe that is just what they do. In that circumstance maybe it hurt them. I thought it killed the momentum. If #20 hits a 3 and gets a steal and Lynden goes up 12-14 Roper now is a genious who subbed in fresh legs and built an even bigger lead.
Guys ,a blog like this is for questioning decisions. It is fun to debate. I hardly think Warrant3's "questioning" the subbing is a big deal.Nor do I read it as an attack on Roper. I know Roper is a great coach and think that Warrant knows enough about hoops to agree.
I wish my kid would have played for Roper.Dickson too.
This was an awesome game. I feel after seeing Clover Park and these 2 teams and even Sumner,the west side has the team to beat in the 2A.

Good call 2old, good call. Yes, this is what the board is for: ideas and opinions. I have no doubt that Roper is a good coach. That means he will question what worked and what didn't and make adjustments next time. I happen to have a differing view on another coach that Warrant doesn't share. He gets a little hot under the collar about that.

Psst: Warrant - again, don't take it personal. I'm happy if you don't share my views. In fact, I think it makes for a better board (rather than bored) I like to discuss more than just the score. Condescending? I'd say a little more like needling from time to time. You seem to frequently take the bait though: hook, line and sinker. Oh, and you might check your own posts for a bit of that "condescending" attitude.

-Passion8

I think both passion & Warrant typically bring worthwhile perspectives to this board. I personally haven't found Warrant's opines to ever be "condescending", rather based on facts and reasonable conclusions. Do I always agree? No. Passion on the other hand does tend to let emotion govern some posts in my opinion, which can lead to some defensiveness when others may not agree. I suspect that if the two of you were sitting in a bar discussing this stuff you would probably agree more times than not.

As for NWC coaches - I'm in agreement with Warrant on this one. Labree has done a remarkable job at Sehome with that group both last season and now. I realize passion has an "insider's" edge with some Mariner parents when coming to his conclusion. But all you have to do is watch them play to realize how well he's performed as coach. Take away two gut-wrenching losses at district last year (especially that Anacortes game!) and they most likely place highly at state. NOBODY saw that coming from that team. By the way, I too know Sehome parents that completely agree with this view. He's not perfect, but don't let the disgruntled rants of a couple of dads skew the obvious...he can coach!

I'm looking for an exciting finish to the season. I'm also looking forward to seeing Squalicum, Lynden and Lynden Christian in Yakima:)
This post was edited on 1/29 2:09 PM by Warrant3

ADVERTISEMENT