ADVERTISEMENT

Re-classification

B-E Fan

Oct 14, 2009
What's everyone hearing on re-classification of teams for next season. Through grapevines I've heard that Mt. Vernon may go 4A, Sedro Woolley most likely going 2A, Baker & Blaine going 1A, Squalicum going 3A? If all that is true then the NWC 2A is going to be down 2 teams. What's the Cascade Conference looking like? Is it time for NWC & Cascade to join into one 2A league?

Yeah, those two conferences should already be combined. Geographically it makes sense, and i think it's best to play 80-90% of your schedule in conference, and the conferece should be schools of the same classification. It makes playoffs simpler, which WIAA needs to address.

There would still be 4 teams if Squally doesn't move. Lynden, Sehome, Bellingham and Squalicum. I'd say it might be time to join with the CC and make a 2A league.

Regardless of the moves there are still gonna be some schools playing against school twice their size. I mean Blaine and Baker have only 500 kids while some of the upper 2A schools have over 1000. There really isn't a good way to do it without creating a new classification, which I doubt the WIAA wants to do.

http://www.wiaa.com/subcontent.aspx?SecID=677

I also heard that in the cc south whidbey may be moving down to 1a. That would only leave LW, atm, cedarcrest, granite, and sultan left in 2a for the cc. And granite and sultan have been struggling for the past 10 years. Would be tough to throw them into a tough conference adding 4 or 5 nwc teams. I don't see that happening.

2A Teams on the bubble of going up that I know of: White River, Sumner.

2A Teams on the bubble of going down that I know of: Eatonville, Steilacoom.

1A Teams on the bubble of going up: Vashon, Orting.

Situation to watch: If the majority of the Tacoma schools have 2A numbers, will the district allow them to stay 2A. Wilson, Foss and Lincoln could all have 2A numbers.

If Squally stays then NWC will have.

Lynden
B-E
Sehome
Bellingham
Squalicum
Anacortes
Sedro Woolley (Pretty sure bet. They are finally not going to include Job Corps in their numbers, which has been weird all along)

I know this is 2A board, but what will Ferndale have to do? That will leave 1 AAA team. Pretty certain MV will be 4A & Woolley dropping.
This post was edited on 10/27 9:00 AM by B-E Fan

White River not going up, attendance down 150 kids from last re-classification.

Look for Bonney Lake to drop down to 2A SPSL

Eatonville will be going down to Nisqually 1A

Orting going up to 2A SPSL

Cascade Christian applying for 2A SPSL, but will be denied admission from what I hear.

The winner in reclassification is the NWC 1A or the old WCL(almost...minus LL), we played everyone twice for a 10 game schedule,and the big road trip was to Baker and we thought that took a month of travel by stagecoach and river raft back then.

Blaine, Meridian, Mt.Baker,Nooksack, LC and change the damn name back to the WHATCOM COUNTY LEAGUE!!! Maybe LC should just fold on football, they just aren't into it anymore and the boys should start a 4x4 club instead.

South WHidbey is moving down to 1a, rumor has it also cedarpark christion and bellevue christion has applied to join the cc as well as 1a teams which will make 5 1a schools in the cc along with coupeville and kings. nothing official yet but we'll see. I guess the cc will be a 5 2a and 5 1a conf. if it all goes through.

In D4: Ridgefield looks to move up to 2A, maybe Hoquium & Elma too. Rumors have Ilwaco moving down to 2B.

Capital might move down to 2A! Wow! Ridgefield and Capital in the same district. Sounds like a fair matchup. WIAA, needs to do something. This is getting flat ridiculous.

no way elma and hoquiam are going back to 2a. both are down in numbers from 2 years ago

Medical lake for sure goes down. They don't play football in the GNL anymore anyway. I think Pullman stays. Even if they were to have 1A numbers where would they play, CWAC or Northeat A? Either way a ton of travel. Look for Cheney to go 3A the next time around. They are building two new middle schools out there right now. If the GNL loses Pullman along with Medical Lake look for the GNL to schedule in Moscow, Sandpoint and Lakeland just as if they were members of the GNL. Kind of a rebirth of the old Border League.

If Pullman went to 1A they would go into the Northeast A. The CWAC is a 2A league. Granted they wouldn't have the short trip to Clarkston anymore, but other than that how is the Northeast A any different from the GNL travel wise for Pullman?

Sorry forgot CWAC is 2A. I guess it would be ok. Long trips to Colville, Newport, Chewelah and I hear Kettle Falls may be back to the Northeast A. Those are all an hour or more past Spokane, just seems like alot of travel. I have heard from the West Valley AD that Pullman's numbers will stay at 2A. What have you heard? I hope Pullman stays always like playing them

I have heard the same that Pullman will stay 2A and Medical Lake will drop to 1A.

I believe numbers go out in December, than schools have until January on opt up choices.

Ya I had heard Quincy's numbers are up but I dont know if that means they are staying in 2A.if they go down to 1A I dont think it will be for long. Quincy is a growing community.

Quincy, like many schools in their geographic area, have many students who leave the district in the winter (migrant families who move to warmer states for later harvest seasons, or Mexico) only to return in the Spring. What I don't know is, do these students get counted in December as part of their school's enrollment, or not? Do any of you know??

Either way, pg. one of the newspaper says there is a labor shortage of pickers, and pg. two of the same newspaper says unemployment is at an all-time high (irony). Why is all of this so hard to understand for my third grade educated/second-language brain?? Go CWAC!!

Here's the latest I'm hearing.

SPSL 3A to invite Hazen, Highline, and Kennedy Catholic to league

Gig Harbor going to 3A, was invited to SPSL, but wil stay in Narrows

Capital going 2A. SPSL 2A doesn't want them, so they'll go to EvCo.

Just heard that Quincy is moving down to 1A. They are under the 2A Cut by 1 student. phew. Dont know if that is official yet.

Why would EvCo want Capital?! It has N. Thurston who moved down already. Capital will have to change districts. D4 should say no! If SPSL doesn't want them then let Capital be independent for a couple of years or they should just opt back up to 3A. Ridiculous that a another school that large playing against schools so much smaller - Klahowya, Ridgefield, Woodland, Blaine, etc.
This post was edited on 12/10 9:49 AM by TricoGuy

More the reason for Capital to stay put.

Weren't the official numbers supposed to come out Friday? I cannot find them anywhere. Anyone have a link, because they are not on the WIAA site - well, at least I cannot find them.
This post was edited on 12/10 11:03 AM by TricoGuy

Elma has actually gained a few more students than what they had a few years ago, and Hoquiam has lost more due to Grays Harbor Paper closing, so therefore they are for sure going to be 1A, Elma will be on the border line of the 1a-2a mark while Hoquiam will stay put, heard the rumor that Aberdeen wants to drop back down, but can't due to the addition of the Cosmo plant.....so I guess we will have to just wait and see............

Meridian will be a good matchup for Blaine. I also think that Baker should be very competitive in 1A.

For basketball I think it will really help Blaine.

Elma is at 462 kids, Hoquiam is at 442 kids. If Hockinson would be the second largest 1A at 511, both should be securely 1A. Aberdeen had 823 at the last count, even if they've dropped 200 kids, they're safely 2A.

Not so sure Blaine would dominate. Both Meridian & Baker will compete just fine with them. Having said that the NWC 1A reps will be much stronger overall this cycle.

the numbers are out but have been sent to the schools to make sure there right. final numbers with opt-ups due in januray. your ad has the new numbers.

Honestly, borderite2000, I can't see how the drop down will "really help" Blaine in hoops. With the exception of L.C. which is currently on a bigtime upswing, Baker Meridian and Nooksack have performed exponentially better than Blaine in the NWC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT