ADVERTISEMENT

The Situation

jvstud22

Oct 4, 2004
ok soo heres a situation..we have a kid that left our school because of family problems..so he left to go live with his dad for just one year in a completly different school district im talkin far away (In State) but now he wants to come back but he wants an appartment... whats the rules on coming back and playin for our team...can he? does he have to go through a hearing???

We had a similar situation a few years back. We had a player whoose family moved to Virginia his Jr. year, and came back and lived with a friend and his family for his senior year. We went before a District hearing and explained the situation (not a very good home life) and the boy was granted eligibility. This was in the kids best interest and the District reps saw that. Be honest, and have as much paperwork as you can. Get your new guardians, Principal, or Superintendent to go to the hearing if possible..

Then that is obviously not a "hardship" case, more of a choice and since his legal guardian is not moving into the district, he would have to sit out. Atleast that's how I see it.

I would however recommend you talk with the AD's for Bellevue or NW Christian. They seem to have a real understanding of the intention of the WIAA elidgeability rules.

Good luck

WHS

I'd think it would depend on 1) if the kid is 18 or 2) if one of the parents is willing to list it as their primary residence whether or not they really live there at all. In the first case the kid is his own guardian in the second both he and a guardian have legal residence in the district. Either way there isn't much the WIAA can do about it. In the Sealth case it was fake leases here we're talking a real lease.

This is why we should just go to an open enrolment policy for sports as well as academics. The way the rule is now there are loop holes that the wealthy can take advantage of and it just encourages bending of or using technicalities against the intent of the rules. It's a free country, let the kids play where they want.

jvstud22
go to the wiaa web site under athletics click on wrestling you will see the name jim meyerhoff click on his name this will ge you a emil to him he is incharge of eligibility for the wiaa he will have all your answers

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT