ADVERTISEMENT

Tri District

crazykid#22

Mar 24, 2011
The 1A Boys Champ has come from the Tri District for the last 5 years. (Charles Wright, Vashon, Cascade 2X and LC) Think this could be the year its broken or will one of the 4 tri district teams take it once again?

Great point to bring up crazykid, we have seen recent dominance of the tourney by the west side particularly the Tri District. I believe that the Tri District will have their 6th straight title in repeat fashion.

Addicted; so by extension of your logic are you saying Cashmere win it all IF they get by LC? Or is there a team among the other four that you don't see Cashmere matching up well against?
This post was edited on 2/25 4:36 PM by FilmDoesn'tLie

Actually yes....call me crazy but I think the championship is the first round game between those 2. They are the two hottest teams, and whichever team wins I think will continue the hot stretch

Hmmmmm.........what is it about these teams always getting and winning the state tournament? Hmmmm what makes Cascade Christian....Lynden Christian.......Also teams like Seattle Academy, Kings, Charles Wright and no CPC....so different from most of the schools in the state......hmmmm.....something to ponder about.....Please, someone, what is the secret?

Oh please...........don't start in with recruiting right now.
This post was edited on 2/25 9:34 PM by Warrant3

If your trying to say that they recruit, then your an IDIOT. Having been from one of those 4 schools I know for a fact that it didn't happen at my school, and what players would you even say were recruited? The only ones I could imagine you saying that I would believe would be the guys on the Charles Wright team that won it.

It's ignorance. The Cedar Park team this year is all homegrown. The SA team has had the same guys there for the last 4 or 5 years. They've gone to school together for years. Last year's LC team, 12 out of the 13 kids, including Reimer, went to LC from at least fifth grade, Cascade Christian as well was all homegrown when they won their two, how the heck could you recruit to Vashon? Theyre all homegrown as well. It just doesnt happen, so Hooper, be careful before you make your accusations.

Addicted; truth be told, there is one transfer on the Cedar Park Christian roster, so slightly inaccurate to say all homegrown. Senior point guard Luke Saufferer is a transfer from Jackson High School between his Sophomore and Junior years. Luke's best friend was at CPC and I've been told Luke was seeking a Christian school environment. He transferred despite the very high risk he would lose a year of varsity eligibility, which is exactly what happened. All the eligibility hearing notes are out on the WIAA district archives. Had Luke transferred from private to public he would have been playing varsity last year. It was his own tough decision, he was not sought after by coaches or boosters and his family pays the same tuition as every other kid. You can't argue he moved to CPC to be on a state championship caliber team, because he left one that will be in the Tacoma dome this year. In fact his brother is still a part of that program. Is CPC a better team with Luke? You bet. Especially now that they are headed to the hardwood classic where Luke's senior leadership with the experience having been there before with Jackson will prove invaluable. Was he recruited? No. He just showed up and tried out like the rest of them. I think you all will really enjoy watching him play this week.
This post was edited on 2/26 9:34 AM by FilmDoesn'tLie

" Had Luke transferred from private to public he would have been playing varsity last year."......" Truth be told" ??

Please tell us how then ?

I personally know of two Private to Public transfers (with very similar notes - different sport), that are currently sitting out their one year of eligibility for their sport. Would be nice to know how he/or they coulda pulled it off.

R23

you can appeal to the wiaa. the usual route from private to public without losing eligibility is "financial hardship." parents lost a job, house got foreclosed, kid in college, etc. there can be academic reasosn, too, but those are a lot harder to work because people abused them in the past. i have also heard that the wiaa doesn't like dealing with lawyers, so they tend to roll over at the threat of a lawsuit, though never actually seen it happen.

Indeed. Lynden gained Jaremy Martin from LC without him losing a year of eligibility, I believe for that exact claim.

Also, again - green and gold Lion here - but there can be absolutely ZERO claiming that Lynden Christian has recruited anyone. Martin went to LC as a freshman and transferred out, and even Vis went to LC until 5th grade before switching to Lynden. The city of Lynden just has some darn good athletes pumping through there.

Andrew Ryan, who is one of Cambell's leading scorers, transferred out after his sophmore year. Thanks Little Lion Man for the backup we appreciate it...And Film...You are right. I didn't know about him. But let's be honest, it's not like CPC has been a prime basketball school for decades. The whole recruiting accusations are just rediculous.

I'm not here to address the issue of whether private schools do or do not recruit kids to their school. Personally, I think there's probably just as many situations, and its still not many, where there is recruiting or at least kids jumping ship in public schools to more high profile programs, especially where kids are from a large metro school district and they're able to choice their school. Now I don't know all the ins and outs of movement in these situations so maybe someone can educate me on this. But I think if you look at the geographical area in which private schools can draw from, then it becomes a little more muddled. Several yrs ago I went up to U Prep to watch their big kid that graduated last yr. When I looked at their roster, they had 2 starters from Bellevue, one from Lynwood, one from I believe Lakewood, and another from Federal Way. I asked someone about this and if I remember correctly I was told they could draw out to a 50 mile radius????? Now I know kids that go to private schools do so for a number of reasons, and their parents have to pay considerable amounts of money for them to do so. But just the fact that they have the opportunity to draw from such a large area and have thousands of kids in which could potentially go there, could create some imbalances in representation in sports. Although there have been some competitive schools who have done well in state tournaments, the trend has been a much higher representation of private to public in the last 10 yrs, mostly at the A and B level, and especially from the west side. I think the reason for this trend at the lower classification vs the larger classifications is as you move up classifications, you encounter fewer private schools. And when you have a student population of 800 and up, you naturally have a much larger pool to draw from in athletics whereas your small schools don't have the #'s except in exceptional yrs. Some of the larger school exceptions to this would be Seattle Prep, Lakeside, and ODea. That's not to say that private don't have their down yrs as Bellevue Christian is an example this yr. But I think when you experience people who take an adverse opinion towards private schools and their perceived dominance in small school sports this may contribute to a part of their grievance.

We've had this discussion so many times over the last 10 years I know right where to look. In (1A) over the last 15 years there have been 10 Private School State Champions and 5 Public School State Champions.
In (2A) over the last 15 years there has been 1 Private School State Champion and 14 Public School State Champions. Most of the 2A Public School State Champions over the 15 year period were small town schools.

There has been a very pronounced trend toward Private School State Champions in (1A) over the last 10 years, however, if you look at classifications 2B through 4A over the last 15 years, it's Public 51-24 over Private.

Thanks for the info Warrant and I think that supports the point I made about the higher you go up in classifications, the more public schools have representation. I don't know where the B's are in the mix of things but you included them in your larger group. There's just not as many private schools at the 2,3,4A classifications, as private schools tend to be smaller,and there are a lot of them. And I really haven't heard as much beef about who wins the state championship as I have the # of private schools that are representative in the tourney. I thought the point made on an earlier post that many of these kids that play at the private schools are homegrown, have been in school together since elementary, is a fact that escapes many of those who complain. They simply think of such and such Christian school as being one who just starts taking kids at the high school level and don't really think about how they've grown up together. Myself, it's just a game that I enjoy watching and the best team, notice I didn't say athletes because that's not always the case, will advance on. Having good athletes does go a long ways though. Hope you enjoy the tourney this year, it should be a good one.

That one 2A team happens to be LC, who won it in 2006 when Vic Wolffis was still coaching. Thank you for your insight! I think the Christian schools tend to be 1A. A few B's but most seem to fall in that 250-400 kids range.

Here is another tidbit. In the 2A classification over the last 15 years the NWC(aka North Cascade Conference) has had a team in the Championship game 14 times. They've won 8 Championships and finished 2nd 6 times. Burlington-Edison finished 2nd 3 years in a row.

Is it what you feed those kids up there or just a great gene pool? Safe trips to everyone today and tomorrow.

We've just had an incredible group of athletes come through the town starting with the classes of 2011 continuing through the class of 2013. Not much else to say haha. I will say that last year was LC's first dome appearance in 6 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT