ADVERTISEMENT

Quarter Final Picks

Washington_sports

Sep 23, 2013
Thought I would get this out early and let the smack talk began. Little074 and OldGren both pulled off a perfect pick last week, but unlike last year, this year is just going to get harder each week. So tell us you is going to win:

Zillah (10-1) @ Connell (9-1) - Zillah only loss to Connell, Sounds like a revenge game
Coleville (9-1) @ Royal (11-0) - Royal is unbeaten, but Coleville would like a repeat of last year.

Kings (10-1) @ Hoquiam (10-0) - Kings showing just how tough they are, but Hoquiam is still unbeaten.
Mt. Baker (10-1) @ Montesano (9-2) - This is going to be a close one.

This is where it gets real tough but this is how I see it.......
Connell - Both losses for the leopards this year.........
Royal - Colville would love to repeat what they did last year but Royal is good.......
Hoquiam - time for the Grizzlies to get some payback for all the times Kings has knocked them out....hopefully Hoquiam digs their heels in and makes Kings travel all the way down to the Harbor instead of playing in Tumwater.....
Montesano - the Dogs pulled one out last week and they want that rematch for Harbor supremacy.....

Tough games to pick here on the East side of the state for sure.
Connell v. Zillah- What was a game decided by the margin of a field goal is going to be a heck of a battle. Zillah's O exploded on Lakeside while Connell seemed to just control pace against Cashmere. I think Connell will put the Leopards away for the second time.
Royal v. Colville- This game is about revenge. Colville didn't allow Royal the opportunity at camp at Eastern. Kaden Jenks and the boys are 12 points from breaking the single season scoring record for 1A. You better believe they get it. Royal explodes on Colville. On their way to an all SCAC semi.
Hoquiam v. King's- The Griz have patiently been working their way through 10-0. Nearly allowed that Meridian team to come back. King's won't make the same mistakes. I'm taking King's over Hoquiam. Sorry boys.
Mt. Baker v. Montesano- Last time the Bulldogs won the state championship they entered the bracket as a two loss team. I believe the magic is still there for them. Montesano rolls on by a slim margin.

I am not yet ready to make my quarterfinal picks, but I have taken a close look at the remaining teams and am entirely confident that the 8 remaining teams are the best 8 1A teams in the state. The final order is obviously yet to be determined.

Let me share what I have noticed so far. None of the 8 remaining teams has anything close to a "bad loss". In fact, these teams have only lost to each other or a 2A team that also made it to the state playoffs.

Royal -- Undefeated
Zillah -- Only loss is to Connell 31-28?
Connell -- Only loss is to Royal 27-20
Colville -- Only loss is to 2A Cheney who just lost to Prosser in first round

Hoquiam -- Undefeated
Kings -- Only loss to 2A Archbishop Murphy who is in final 8 of 2A
Mt. Baker -- Only loss is to 2A Sedro-Woolley who is in final 8 of 2A
Montesano -- 2 losses, 1 to undefeated Hoquiam 10-6 and the other to 2A Black Hills who is in final 8 of 2A

The point is that it is time to throw out records and expect one of the most exciting 1A brackets in recent memory. Whoever comes out on top will have gone through a gauntlet of quality teams.

Also, Little074 the Royal/Colville game is not all about revenge and I can guarantee that Coach Allred is not coaching it that way. This is a different year with a lot of new faces on both squads. This game is about going through a quality opponent to get one step closer to a state championship, nothing more and nothing less.

I know Wiley isn't going to preach it that way, but those upper classmen like Joe Lang, Ponce, Sam Christiansen and Kaden will want to show much better than they did last year.

Thought I would get this out early and let the smack talk began. Little074 and OldGren both pulled off a perfect pick last week, but unlike last year, this year is just going to get harder each week. So tell us you is going to win:

Zillah (10-1) @ Connell (9-1) - Zillah only loss to Connell, Sounds like a revenge game
Coleville (9-1) @ Royal (11-0) - Royal is unbeaten, but Coleville would like a repeat of last year.

Kings (10-1) @ Hoquiam (10-0) - Kings showing just how tough they are, but Hoquiam is still unbeaten.
Mt. Baker (10-1) @ Montesano (9-2) - This is going to be a close one.
Zillah
Colville

Hoqiuam
Montesano

I will agree that this is the closest competition I have seen for a long time. I have yet to gauge the East side vs West side, but the teams are really close this week and next week.

Zillah @ Connell - is the 3pt win a good indicator of this game? Connell was up 24-7 mid way through the 3rd, but given another 5 minutes in the 4th would Zillah have been able to complete the comeback? Zillah has been getting better, but if Connell comes out fired up like last game the leopards are going to find it just as hard to move the ball on offense. Connell by 7
Colville @ Royal - Royal is on a mission, and it's not for revenge. They are determined to play for 3 more weeks. To beat them you have to have to be balanced and have a good game. I haven't seen much of Coleville's game, but they seem to contain the run well. Air game is a different story. I think Seniors Ponce and Christiansen will have an amazing game. Royal by 28. I agree with little074, I would like to see another SCAC East matchup. the game last month was 19-20 for most of the 4th quarter.

Kings @ Hoquiam - This game is about who will show up ready to play all 48 minutes. Hoquiam likes to mix things up, so I give the 1st half to them, however, I am going with Kings by 3 in the end.
Baker @ Monte - This is my hardest game to pick. These are two of the largest 1A schools, which does give them a lot of talent to choose from (and they do have talent). This will be the 3rd time in the past 4 years they have squared off in the playoffs. Even though Monte has been in the playoffs almost every year, I have to go with the Baker if they can stop the passing game as well as they stop the run game. Baker by 4

All I can say about these match ups is I am happy Hoquiam finally stood up for themselves and Kings will have to travel to the harbor!!!! In years past when both Montesano and Hoquiam have had to play Kings it was either in Tumwater or up in the Seattle area because Kings refused to travel all the way down because it was too far and would cost too much!!! (This was told to me by a school board member when Monte played Kings a few years ago in Tumwater) So how about this, make Kings travel on a Friday night and play at 7pm how would that float the boat? Mount Vernon is travelling all the way to Montesano and they are coming farther than Kings, or how about the fact that Meridian traveled all the way down last week and that is farther than both Kings and Mount Vernon!!!!! Ok, my rant is over, I just feel that some teams get special treatment and others get shit on.........

Washington Sports yes Mt Baker is one of the biggest 1A schools but Montesano is near the lower middle in size.

Mount Baker 417.0
Montesano 297.0

Sites and times have been posted except for Hoquiam and King's on the WIAA site. Colville a bit bummed they couldn't get the game on grass. That game vs. Royal is at Gonzaga Prep at 6pm, Friday. Zillah and Connell will square off at Lampson 3pm, Saturday. Mt. Baker makes the trip to Montesano for the night cap Saturday @ 6pm. Any changes based on site and travel alone?

Sites and times have been posted except for Hoquiam and King's on the WIAA site. Colville a bit bummed they couldn't get the game on grass. That game vs. Royal is at Gonzaga Prep at 6pm, Friday. Zillah and Connell will square off at Lampson 3pm, Saturday. Mt. Baker makes the trip to Montesano for the night cap Saturday @ 6pm. Any changes based on site and travel alone?
How do you know Colville is a bit bummed about the site? And how do you know Colville didn't want to play Royal at EWU? Please elaborate Little074...that doesn't sound like Colville whatsoever...other teams maybe, but not them. If you believe message board talk gives some sort of advantage, then you would be living in a fantasy land. Colville played Royal at Moses last year on field turf, I'm sure they are excited for the same opportunity on recycled rubber tire this year. Looking forward to two great Eastern semifinal matchups.

Last edited:
The gist of it is I heard from someone that says Colville was lobbying for the game to be held at West Valley. A grass field. That would be the most advantageous position for Colville's style of offense. They also don't have to be hyped on what I say. Colville is the last team to beat Royal. That's all the motivation they need.

The gist of it is I heard from someone that says Colville was lobbying for the game to be held at West Valley. A grass field. That would be the most advantageous position for Colville's style of offense. They also don't have to be hyped on what I say. Colville is the last team to beat Royal. That's all the motivation they need.
You heard wrong...Colville wanted none of West Valley and grass field...they wanted to play on G-Prep or Albi and artificial surface...end of story. No lobbying...choice for Colville...and it was their choice since they are at bottom of bracket...G Prep...that says it all.

So you must have been at the site selection meeting! What else was being discussed?
Yeah bud...see yah Friday. Tell Kent Anderson hello...I'm sure that's what he wants the Royal faithful to believe haha...running joke of District 5.

Zillah
Colville - too bad it's not being played in a mud pit like apparently they would want... :p. In all seriousness, it is going to be cold and most likely raining or snowing so the conditions will be less than ideal regardless of where it's played in the Spokane area.

Kings
Montesano

Zillah I think these guys are on a roll
Royal This for me was a coin flip
King's despite what others say King's has traveled to Aberdeen a lot more than teams have traveled to King's or Tumwater
Baker I think Baker is well tested

Zillah I think these guys are on a roll
Royal This for me was a coin flip
King's despite what others say King's has traveled to Aberdeen a lot more than teams have traveled to King's or Tumwater
Baker I think Baker is well tested

I stand corrected thank you, I just know that King's has only come to the Harbor to play Hoquiam 1 time and Hoquiam has had to travel to Tumwater and Shoreline to play them.......The reason I was given at those times was that King's did not want to travel all the way down here to play due to how long it takes to get here......Either way I am looking for a good game between the 2......

I love the analysis that's starting to come out. Can't wait to hear Old Grenadier's pick after presenting his research on the remaining 8. Been waiting 3 months for this and it's finally here. Kind of like Christmas.

Zillah v Connell - I have to go with Connell as I think they are more apt to learn from the last game and when it comes to pounding it out in the stretch they are pretty good. Both controlled opponents last week but I'm giving Connell the edge this week.
Colville v Royal - Regardless of who doesn't like who in the WIAA and what was really said in the meeting I think Colville should have begged to play on the grass as it would be an advantage for them and they are going to need all they can get. Royal wins it this year.
Kings v Hoquiam - Neither team seems to blow anybody out but they sure seem to get it done every week. Gonna be a knockdown dragout. I'm giving it to King's.
Mt. Baker v Montesano - I think Monte used up all of there luck last week to squeak out the win against CC. However, this week it's all skill. Monte wins.

Thanks for putting the pressure on Front Row Joe. Just because I have done a little analysis doesn't mean that I will be able to pick winners in such a tight grouping. Of course, that won't stop me from trying.

Zillah vs Connell -- What hasn't really be mentioned much about their first battle a few weeks ago is that despite the final score of 31-28, I believe there was a point in the 4th quarter when Connell had a 31-14 lead. What does that mean? I'm not sure. Both teams can put up a lot of points and score in quick bursts. In the end I think that Connell is less prone to turnovers and that they have a more well-rounded defense.
I'm picking Connell by more than the 3 points they won by last time.

Royal vs Colville -- I know it was back in week 1, but Colville was shut out 28-0 by a good Cheney squad. How did they do it? The Cheney passing game was inefficient, but they ran the ball effectively. Most of their successful runs were between the tackles, or at least started between the tackles and bounced outside after getting beyond the line of scrimmage. The Cheney o-line was big and created running lanes. The Cheney defense stacked the box with essentially 6 at the line of scrimmage except on likely passing downs. Royal doesn't have the same size upfront as Cheney, but can they get the same leverage? Colville doesn't appear to have a high level passing game, but they showed up with one last year against Royal in the playoffs. I think the key for Royal defensively will be keeping the linebackers clean and maintaining discipline. For Colville, how will they defend the Royal passing attack? No disrespect to Lakeside, but I don't think they have faced a passing game like Royal's this season. They can attack a cover-2 or cover-3 effectively, partly due to how good their running backs catch the ball out of the backfield. I believe Colville will have to limit Royal's running game and defend the seams to keep the Royal receivers in front of them.
I realize that was a lot of words to simply say, "Go Knights!!".

King's vs Hoquiam -- This game is the toughest to pick in my opinion. Both of them tend to have lower scoring games when they play tough opponents, which leads me to believe that their defenses may be better than their offenses. That being the case, I expect a lower scoring affair between them.
I could go either way with this one, but I will go with Hoquiam since they are playing closer to home.

Mt. Baker vs Montesano -- Montesano is the only team left with 2 losses, but you can ignore that completely. The question is whether they can stand up to the Mt. Baker running attack. I know it is easy to think that Monte used up all of their magic last week to beat CC, but they are a program that feeds off of that sort of good fortune. They are well coached with a long tradition of stepping up in big moments. Mt. Baker scored 47 points to win last week, but they also gave up 42. The had to come back from a 21-0 first quarter deficit against Kalama. If they get down early to Monte, it will be much tougher to come back than last week.
It is very hard to pick against Monte when they are starting to feel like a "team of destiny" again as they did a few years back and rode it all they way to a state title. I'm not picking against them. I say Montesano in a grinder.

By the way FRJ, I agree that this is the "most wonderful time of the year".

Reactions: Smallpox
cold weather favors running teams; hard to beat the same team twice in a short span

Thanks for putting the pressure on Front Row Joe. Just because I have done a little analysis doesn't mean that I will be able to pick winners in such a tight grouping. Of course, that won't stop me from trying.

Zillah vs Connell -- What hasn't really be mentioned much about their first battle a few weeks ago is that despite the final score of 31-28, I believe there was a point in the 4th quarter when Connell had a 31-14 lead. What does that mean? I'm not sure. Both teams can put up a lot of points and score in quick bursts. In the end I think that Connell is less prone to turnovers and that they have a more well-rounded defense.
I'm picking Connell by more than the 3 points they won by last time.

Royal vs Colville -- I know it was back in week 1, but Colville was shut out 28-0 by a good Cheney squad. How did they do it? The Cheney passing game was inefficient, but they ran the ball effectively. Most of their successful runs were between the tackles, or at least started between the tackles and bounced outside after getting beyond the line of scrimmage. The Cheney o-line was big and created running lanes. The Cheney defense stacked the box with essentially 6 at the line of scrimmage except on likely passing downs. Royal doesn't have the same size upfront as Cheney, but can they get the same leverage? Colville doesn't appear to have a high level passing game, but they showed up with one last year against Royal in the playoffs. I think the key for Royal defensively will be keeping the linebackers clean and maintaining discipline. For Colville, how will they defend the Royal passing attack? No disrespect to Lakeside, but I don't think they have faced a passing game like Royal's this season. They can attack a cover-2 or cover-3 effectively, partly due to how good their running backs catch the ball out of the backfield. I believe Colville will have to limit Royal's running game and defend the seams to keep the Royal receivers in front of them.
I realize that was a lot of words to simply say, "Go Knights!!".

King's vs Hoquiam -- This game is the toughest to pick in my opinion. Both of them tend to have lower scoring games when they play tough opponents, which leads me to believe that their defenses may be better than their offenses. That being the case, I expect a lower scoring affair between them.
I could go either way with this one, but I will go with Hoquiam since they are playing closer to home.

Mt. Baker vs Montesano -- Montesano is the only team left with 2 losses, but you can ignore that completely. The question is whether they can stand up to the Mt. Baker running attack. I know it is easy to think that Monte used up all of their magic last week to beat CC, but they are a program that feeds off of that sort of good fortune. They are well coached with a long tradition of stepping up in big moments. Mt. Baker scored 47 points to win last week, but they also gave up 42. The had to come back from a 21-0 first quarter deficit against Kalama. If they get down early to Monte, it will be much tougher to come back than last week.
It is very hard to pick against Monte when they are starting to feel like a "team of destiny" again as they did a few years back and rode it all they way to a state title. I'm not picking against them. I say Montesano in a grinder.

By the way FRJ, I agree that this is the "most wonderful time of the year".

In reference to the Colville-Cheney matchup, like any other team, Colville is a much different and better team than the one that got shutout in Cheney week one. Hence their 9-1 record at this point in the season.

Thanks for the correction Monte Mom, I can't believe the internet let me down. I had Monte with over 500 students in the HS. (1,300 in k-12). Now I have to change my guess, Baker by 5. lol.

As for mud vs turf? I heard it is a requirement to play on turf beyond the first round, if a field exists in the district. not sure that is true, as I have seen some pretty muddy games in late November. I do agree that grass would play in Colville's favor, but that wouldn't change many picks.

I hope all teams play their best and hopping the underdog Baker wins just so I can get one up on Old Gren. taking down one leader at a time.

Based on expert advice (we are now all experts) here is the winning odds:
Connell 2.3:1
Royal 4:1
Kings 2.3:1
Monte 2.3:1

In reference to the Colville-Cheney matchup, like any other team, Colville is a much different and better team than the one that got shutout in Cheney week one. Hence their 9-1 record at this point in the season.

I agree and did qualify my statements by conceding that it was played in week 1. I am certain every remaining team has improved greatly over the past 11 weeks; otherwise they wouldn't be playing this weekend. I am just trying to piece together some observations and you don't learn much about a team when they are pounding an inferior opponent.

Which westside game is tonight? WIAA has the brackets with all Saturday dates. Secondly, woooooooooooooo football tonight!!!!!!!!

Colville-Royal is postponed to 4:30 tomorrow as well because the power is still out at Gonzaga Prep..

ADVERTISEMENT