ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to EV????

scacfan00

Apr 16, 2007
I have been pondering this question for the last five years as many others have. It seems they are going down hill every single year and their scoring is not what it use to be. Was it elite athletes for a few years with a coach that pushed them or are their athletes down with an elite coach now or good athletes with a average coach??? What is going on???

I think they have been fairly injury plagued the last 2-3 seasons. If I'm not mistaken they have had at least one player if not more a season go down with a knee injury. Also, I think that athletically they are not as strong as they were a couple years ago with players like Stickey and Mohsenian etc. on the court. However, a few of the freshman that are playing varsity will be big time in a couple years...I was impressed with their poise under pressure. The thing about a program like East Valley is even if they are "down" they are never out. The tradition of winning is just to far ingrained in those kids to every really count them out of big games. I think they need to play a little more flexible offensively and run a little bit more.

I think talent outweighs coaching about 2 to 1 in HS basketball. Any coach with a host of talented basketball players can "build" a great program. Coaching becomes a bigger factor when the talent level on the floor is in the same ballpark as your opponents - state tourneys for example.

Just look at the East Valley BOYS this year. Coach Elder has been on board for quite a few years now and has a pretty good reputation. Championship game a few years ago. This year they are 0-XX. You gonna tell me he forgot how to coach? No.

I don't know if it is coaching or talent at EV, but... I have a daughter that plays for that program and I would say that there is no "team" about them. They have talent and for the most part I think Rob does a good job with them. I don't always agree with choices but I'm not the coach, and you surely can't please everyone all the time. Those girls have too many back-stabbing she said she did attitudes that prevent them from being great. If they ever get passed that and realize the team is more important than indivdual then you would see a much much improved team.

Am I missing something? Isn't EV like 9-2 and ranked like fifth or something? I mean they've had more dominate years but nobody is dominate forever and with added competition generated by realignment they seem to be holding up pretty well. They had a high point right before Jack Cleveland passed away but three years before that they weren't the most dominate team in 2A. I think there are a lot of teams that would think EV's record this season pretty good and be happy with EV's program level, even during this 'valley' in the cycles.

I don't always agree with col-pul posts (but am entertained by his insight)but this time he is right on. East Valley has established a winning tradition that MOST teams would love to have. They have talent coming up and a coach that has proven to produce in the past. I think they can compete with any team in the 2A which is all you can ask for at this point in the season.

EV to Eburg now its Prosser who is dominate.

Reading the paper up here in gods country I see that EV lost to a formidable opponent in Prosser, yet the next night barely winning against a perennial lower tier type team that being Toppenish by one? Come on tell me the real story.

But EV is very young and will be something to deal with in up and coming years. Can’t wait to watch them play our local Ephrata Team at home, I might even make the trip to Othello land to watch them play the (lets save some face) game against Othello. I doubt anyone is going to be trouble for Prosser from what Ive seen.

2. Friday 12/5/2008 6:00 PM Game
Home Granger (G V)
East Valley HS
3. Friday 12/5/2008 6:00 PM Game
Home Granger (G V)

4. Friday 12/12/2008 6:00 PM Game
Home Toppenish (G V)
EVHS Main Gym W 45 - 35
5. Saturday 12/13/2008 7:30 PM Game
Away @ West Valley (YAKIMA) (G V)
6. Friday 12/19/2008 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Grandview (G V)
Grandview High School W 60 - 54
7. Saturday 12/20/2008 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Wapato (G V)
Wapato HS W 54 - 35
8. Saturday 1/3/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Othello (G V)
EVHS Main Gym L 46 - 41
9. Friday 1/9/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Quincy (G V)
Quincy HS W 52 - 19
10. Saturday 1/10/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Ephrata (G V)
EVHS Main Gym T 24 - 24
11. Tuesday 1/13/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Ellensburg (G V)
Ellensburg HS W 45 - 39
12. Saturday 1/17/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Selah (G V)
East Valley HS W 55 - 23
13. Friday 1/23/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Prosser (G V)
Prosser HS L 44 - 37
14. Saturday 1/24/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Toppenish (G V)
AJ Strom Gym @ Middle School W 39 - 38
15. Friday 1/30/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Grandview (G V)
EVHS Main Gym
16. Saturday 1/31/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Wapato (G V)
EVHS Main Gym
17. Friday 2/6/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Othello (G V)
Pete Taggares Gymnasium
18. Saturday 2/7/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Quincy (G V)
EVHS Main Gym
19. Friday 2/13/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Ephrata (G V)
Ephrata HS Main Gym
20. Saturday 2/14/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Ellensburg (G V)
EVHS Main Gym
21. Tuesday 2/17/2009 6:00 PM Game
Away @ Selah (G V)
SHS Carl Kellman Gym
22. Friday 2/20/2009 6:00 PM Game
Home Prosser (G V)
EVHS Main Gym

Re: EV to Eburg now its Prosser who is dominate.

You kind of answered your own questions didn't you? A tough fought game against formidable opponent then a little bit of a let down by a young team that still managed to get it done against a team they should have beaten. That seems like a pretty real story to me.

Or was that post typed using the literal application of Borel's dactylographic monkey theorem? If so stop it. It can only lead to the rule of apes and Charlton Heston bare chested in front of a half buried Statue of Liberty yelling; "Oh my God. I'm back. I'm home. All the time, it was... We finally really did it. You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!" And one more copy of Hamlet isn't worth getting Mr. Cold Dead Hands riled up, seeing as he couldn't do much about it anyway now that someone was finally able to get his gun.

Re: EV to Eburg now its Prosser who is dominate.

Once again col-pul, you have made me get out my dictionary. "Dactylographic?" That was a tough one.
smilie1.gif

Pooey still has game.

Jeez nice to see your still available for demeaning commentary.

You still are and will continue to be a perfect A##.

One must observe that since yours and mine hiatus from this board you haven’t lost your knack of aforementioned Perfection.

smilie2.gif

good to hear from ya.

Re: Pooey still has game.

Ya, I was kind of being an arse...Sorry, it's just that I was soooo excited to hear from my hole after so long an absence. Like Shaggy without Scooby or Lewis sans Martin an arse without a hole is something only the French get. But together, united there is no stronger force in the Universe than an arse joined with a hole, an arse-hole if you will.

For long ago when man was young, the old tale goes, man's parts were sorting out powers that would shape man into ruler of Earth, master of his own destiny. The Brain of course believed that he should rule man for because of the brain man understood the world. The Eyes objected and thought they should rule for it was through them man saw the world clear. What good was thinking if you couldn't see?. The Legs begged to differ and thought they should rule man because anywhere man would go the legs would take him. What good was seeing if you weren't going anywhere? The Stomach rose in descent because the stomach fed man. How would starving weak legs take man anywhere? As the Brain, Eyes, Legs and Stomach argued about who should rule man the arse-hole yelled, "We, the arse and his hole should rule man." All the other man parts began to laugh, they laughed harder and harder. Angry the arse-hole clenched tight so nothing would pass. After a while the laughter began to fade as the Brian got foggy, the Eyes got watery, the legs got shaky and then the stomach got queezy. After a short while it was too much to bear and all the man parts yielded to the arse-hole and crowned them rulers of man. And that is why Arse-Holes have been running things ever since.

So how good is the CWAC this year really? I think it kind of a down year so you don't have to be a great team, just a real good team. Where does the CWAC fit with resurgent wetsiders?

In all honesty I think Pullman is a year away from really challenging but they could surprise and play big time in the big time and win something. But the next two years, well they're going to be tall, long and athletic; real tall with guard play to go with it. They're already tall but young. They've got a big test coming up against Clarkston. Pullman played real well in extended stretches against Coeur d'Alene, take way the third and they played right with them, and they are the best team in the Inland Northwest not named the LC Tigers.
This post was edited on 1/28 11:44 PM by col-pul

Once again col-pul proves that he perceives himself differently than the reality of how the world sees him. I am dumber for having read your entire post. Please, put a warning in the heading that your ramblings are barely sports related..........so I can skip.

Or here's an idea...

...don't click on my posts, skip right over them. It will hurt but I'll cry, I'll weep, I'll fight the all consuming depression and I'll eventually get over it. So you can skip all you want, just make sure to wear your helmet.

But, I thank you for you input but I hardly think little ol' me capable of such a feat as make you dumber. That's like blaming me for making water wetter.

I don't think anything has happened to EV. They are not as talented as they have been in the past. Even two years ago when they took 3rd in state (it was 2 years ago, right?) they were not the team with the 3rd best talent. I am not from EV, but I have to tell you that when they were winning titles, they had at least as much if not more talent than everyone they played. I don't think this is the case this season. Unfortunately, most fans don't understand that team success goes in cycles, and that the best coaches don't always have the best records. There are some schools that it is harder to win at year in and year out. There are some coaches out there working their butts off to go 10-10 and who are actually doing a better job of coaching than the team that is 20-0. I call this the Phil Jackson theory... he who has more rings is not always the best coach. I always wanted to see Jackson go to the LA Clippers and see how his "zen basketball" approach would work. I agree that when you have two equal teams, coaching becomes a bigger factor.

They will be fine.

Yes they have had better teams yet this is a pretty good group, I haven’t had the pleasure to follow them much but yet when I did get to watch them, they were quite impressive.

Makayla (sp) Huck on the one game I got to watch injured her good knee, and since then I understand one of the younger and very potentially higher tier players hurt her knee also and is possibly out for the season much like Miss Huck from what I’ve been told.

We will see how resilient they are facing this type of adversity. They are a good group and EV should be proud of them.

By the way, Col-Pul, How are you? Give me a call so we can visit and get caught up.

If I could make a couple of quick observation about the EV girls.

First, Fishth your right it was 2 years ago that they took 3rd in state, as my daughter was the starting point. Also, understand that that was the first year of re-alignment. Schools like Black Hills Ellensburg, Prosser, River Ridge, Tumwater etc. moved into 2A. I believe River Ridge had placed 2nd to Chief Sealth (which was involved in a recurring infraction) in 3A a year or two before they moved down, which made them the largest 2A school the first year. Last year EV didn’t go to state, but lost to E-Burg by 4(?) but they were in controlled the entire game till about the last 2 mins we couldn’t execute a couple of post shots in districts or we would have been in state again. Then E-burg played in the championship game, but lost to River Ridge by 1 (back to back titles for RR). So, point being that these EV teams post Cleveland, still had and have the talent and ability to play with the best. Yes, they will have their ups and downs, h**l everyone wants to beat EV. It just goes to show that EV was so close to placing again at State, but because they didn’t make it, their program is being questioned.

As far as this years team, plenty of talent and speed. Bottom line the 2 big girls need to play with some intensity consistently. Looking at the box scores from the Prosser’s game looks like they need to work on shooting 3 balls and free throws. Prosser is a great team, you can’t shoot 12 for 23 FT and 3 for 16 3 balls and expect to win. I’ve said this many times on this site, no use working on the X’s and O’s if you can’t execute them.

Back to the question of CWAC hoops....I think that the CWAC isn't necessarily down but I think that there are fewer players who can dominate the game the way last years class of athletes could. I dont mean dominate in scoring ability alone but in creating a court atmosphere that makes it hard for opposing coaches to game plan. Players with multi-faceted games (three ball, dribble penetration, size, speed, what have you). Although I think we have some great players in the league, there are only a few who make match ups a night mare for coaches. I think the parity is better (top teams have moved back towards the pack bottom moved up). CWAC is all about team match ups this year.

Another year. . . different players, different plays. . . still the team with the bullseye on the back. Yes, there have been great players in the past. Yes, we have had great runs at the state level. Yes, we have girls who play hard and go places and girls who play for the love of the game. Yes to all the problems that plague a team--parents, fans, etc. But down on the court, that's where you will find the team, practicing for the next game, looking forward to the prize and not paying attention to the naysayers. Go Big Red!

i think i agree with lightsout and a few others on this, but don't agree that ev is the team with a 'bullseye' on there back this year. i believe that if you asked most teams who they would love to beat, it would be prosser, and not east valley.

maybe that will change for next year, but for right now, prosser stands alone at the top.

playoffs should be interesting! and, for what it's worth, toppenish has played east valley really tough most of the last few years. they seem to get 'up' for the games v. east valley and 'down' for the games v. wapato. interesting, psychologically speaking.

Went to the Othello- EV game as I promised earlier, They are who we thought they were, Not very good. Maybe another year without EV in the tourney. Should be Prosser Othello and probably Ellensburg representing that area down south.

Not with the way they played last night against Wapato. Othello is in the minds of EV players, and they will continue to struggle against them. Now EV is in solid second in the division, and will be making it to the next level, and Othello might too. Are they the teams of old, what team is? They are finding their way, along with all the teams.

I don't think anyone is saying the Prosser isn't a team with a bullseye on their back. Anytime you are undefeated or considered the best team, you have one. I think what was meant by the bullseye is the winning tradition of EV. EV has spent so many years thumping everyone that it really doesn't matter if they are great, good, or bad because it is still a big victory...kinda like revenge.

From my ponderings of watching the last several Years EV teams and this one is no exception, it seem they are a bit schizophrenic at best, Game of Halves, or complete let downs on others, IE Toppenish game where earlier in the season they only won by 1, HUH -- For a State ranked team?

1st half of the Othello game they looked as if they were an 8th grade team with the Othello Big Two(Walker, Kirkwood) dominating boards, shots, and rebounds alike. Down by double digits in the first half. Out of sync, out of rhythm, Out of the game.

Offensive possessions by the EV point guards looking to the sidelines for plays for each and every individual offensive set. Which I found to be very odd, Yet-----

Then the second half they came alive doing what should have been done in the first, Question is why then when it’s simply too late?

I’m no rocket scientist but if you have the big two from Othello dictating the game one would think special attention would be delivered by the EV coach to at least instruct his team to deny the Kirkwood girl the ball, YA THINK? Yet too little to late.

Then the next night EV plays my Quincy girls and dominates at then its all OK? PLAAEESSEEE

It seems the finality of the situation is this, what causes these huge emotional swings? Coach? Players? Or what goes on behind closed doors? Who knows?

I haven’t a clue or do I care but as SCACFAN00 started this thread, there is something rotten here, and has been going down hill for several years.

In the past EV always cast the light of fear in opposing teams, realignment, or whatever the excuse is, they are not the power house they use to be, and with cycles of gifted athletes coming typically in every 2 to 3 years in programs, the cycle of mediocrity at EV is here to stay.

The thought about Toppenish and EV--that was the game right after 2 player were injured? If so, one Lady Devil had a serious knee injury, the other one was a poser--Coach made due at the last minute with a very young second string and in some cases, starters. As for the injured--one girl is out, probably rest of the season, and the other is just fine, now.

Hmmm... let's see. EV knocks off top-ranked undefeated Prosser. I guess this just bacame a stupid worthless thread, huh?

Re: What has happened to EV? Rewind / Reboot

Come on Money---Worthless thread? Not, let me tell you why.

Made the trip watch the Othello girls to see if 3 wins in a row was possible against the Devils.

Couple Funny things happened.

EV got pounded once again by Othello at there own home in districts

Not to mention the coach freaking out after the game in front of everyone.

Ohhh good people ---There is plenty of value on this topic.

Congrats and great job by the Othello Girls.

Re: What has happened to EV? Rewind / Reboot

You come on box. EV has lost 4 games this year. 1 to Prosser and 3 to Othello. Looks like they don't match up against Othello. They got "pounded" by 3, 5, and 8 points. That's what you called "pounded"? This thread is seemingly about the DEMISE of EV girls basketball. My point is they are solid once again. The reports of their demise are somewhat premature. Don't know about Raab having a meltdown. I wasn't there. But it wouldn't be the first time. So what.

So you tell me. What has happened to EV?

O Money

Two things.

# 1 your right you weren’t there

#2 I never started this thread. Just attempting to share what I and a gym full of people witnessed

Furthermore

In terms of a meltdown and your rebuttal to me as eloquently stated (so what.)

Great stuff to have your players and fans alike witness you’re ungluing.

By the way you’re from Zillah why didn’t you keep him there?

But then again who cares, right.

Re: O Money

And now, one of my favorite things: posting quotes from a fool.

box-n-one says, "I doubt anyone is going to be trouble for Prosser from what Ive seen."

WRONG!!!

box-n-one says, "Went to the Othello- EV game as I promised earlier, They are who we thought they were, Not very good. Maybe another year without EV in the tourney. Should be Prosser Othello and probably Ellensburg representing that area down south."

On several points - WRONG!!!

Concerning losses of 3,5, and 8 points box-n-one says, "EV got pounded once again by Othello "

WRONG!!! (None of the above margins is a pounding)

box-n-one says, "I haven’t a clue"

WRO.....oh wait, I guess you got one right.

Staying up a bit late arent we?

Typical banter from a person possessed and from Zillah or former follower.

At least we know you’re keeping up to speed and staying up late for cross examination, proud of ya.

Yet Very Ummmm, let say touchy, or sensitive Noooo probably a nice blend of both on this issue or maybe a raw nerve on the topic, whatever the case nice to see your stamina and staying power.

I think you have a thing going on, and maybe a visit to Dr Phil would be in order.

I can hear it now, Well Money, what is the core issue with you today and the past 1231 posts?

Re: Staying up a bit late arent we?

You guys are funny!

We all need to remember that this is high school athletics. There are years where the talent pool alligns with coaching (either poor or great on either end). When a successful program has a down year or two after being successful do you think the coach woke up one morning and forgot how to coach? Take Paul Mayer, head boys basketball coach at Hanford, for example. He has always done great things with the kids that he has. He has a basketball mind that is one of the very best. This year was a lean talent year for Hanford. They were not successful in the win/loss column. I saw one game and he was obviously frustrated with the outcome of the season. Did he forget how to coach? NO! He is still a great coach and he sqeezed every ounce of talent and effort out of his kids that year. Did Coach Elder (EV boys coach) forget how to coach? Hardly! His kids showed up every night with a mission. Did it turn into wins? Not often, but I bet if you ask any CWAC coach if they would like to put their post season on the line against this EV team and coach Elder, there wouldn't be many takers. Coach Raab prepares his kids the way he sees fit. Is this EV girls team as talented as some of the EV teams in the past...not sure. I do know one thing though, if I had a gun to my head and had to pick EV girls to win or lose, I would surely pick them to win and then take my chances.

Re: Staying up a bit late arent we?

You're right..now go out and get your 3rd Ace..

Wager anyone??

Ok, make you a bet. Here it is, if in fact EV can beat Ellensburg for the winner to state then I will say I was wrong. WAY WAY WRONG

And if they don’t make it for the second year in a row, then I get to say, Told you so and a lot more.

Heck Money has a spread sheet with everything I’ve mentioned so let him look up Key word

The 3 from CWAC to state.

Prosser
Othello
Ellensburg.

Re: Wager anyone??

Whatever. You can't reason with a lunatic.
This post was edited on 3/6 1:12 AM by Money$$

Come on Money Name calling gets you Nowhere.

Get back to ya on Saturday after the battle in Sunnyside and I will give you a little Jack Nicholson, One flew over the Cuckoos Nest.

I will be nurse Ratchet with the Hypodermic and you can be Jack. Our roles are Depending on the out come? Well of course.

Ewwww what fun

Re: Come on Money Name calling gets you Nowhere.

Don't you know you can't predict what one woman is going to do. How would anyone (coach, husband, etc.) be able to figure out what 12 of them are going to do anytime let alone on one evening against other women.

Sit back, enjoy and hope no one breaks up with their boyfriend or worse.

What were the EV/E-burg scores from regular season? Having seen both teams play they seem to have very different syles so should be an interesting match up.

Well I told you so. No EV at state 2 years running.

Seems as if EV isn’t going to the show once again, Funny how things work just a short 6 years ago a major powerhouse in girls basketball.

Not to be flippant about the situation yet since under new leadership in 5 successive years this is a downtrodden program seemingly with out direction.

One would blame players, actions of, or inability of, or other statements to lend blame elsewhere.

Sad state of affairs for the once mighty.

Will heads Roll?

One would assume,

Stay tuned.

Re: Well I told you so. No EV at state 2 years running.

Figured I'd find you here. I'm not at all close to the situation, just having some fun on this thread. From an outsider my only thought is that you guys have been spoiled and blessed with some great talent for a decade now. How many EV girls went on to play college ball? Great talent makes the coach. At the same time Raab has had success there and had success at Zillah too. That being said I don't know your problems there. Many schools would love to be in your shoes. Just not this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT