ADVERTISEMENT

What has happened to EV????

Final Entry.

Not my problem, nor do I care, yet up in my area to the north and followers of Othello and my Ephrata area know of the scenarios and situations that reared there ugly head,

Last years Othello team were underachievers, now with coaching changes look at there abilities this year. Just shedding light upon the obvious.

Change isn’t a four letter word, yet administration and some specialty parents choose to deem it just that.

Reality of it is most the time, when digested appropriately that four letter word is translated to GOOD.

Seems there is undeniable proof as per downward trends at EV land, do they care?

I’m sure as to not broach the topic of popularity by some who want change yet they sit idly on the sideline. All the while gripe about that very topic that they do nothing about.

Same thing have happened in the past to Naches, LaSalle, Omak, even in our areas on and on,

If things are broke, fix it, change it,

Change is Good.

Part of the difference is Ellensburg and Prosser. EV used to be the top program, but with reclassification, some pretty good programs have joined the mix.

Re: Final Entry.

Box-n-one I couldn’t have stated it better. Having gone thru this program for better part of 12 years, having seen 4 different coaches and I hired the last one not once but twice, it is definitely time for a change.

As you stated:

Last years Othello team were underachievers, now with coaching changes look at there abilities this year. Just shedding light upon the obvious.

Change isn’t a four letter word, yet administration and some specialty parents choose to deem it just that.

Reality of it is most the time, when digested appropriately that four letter word is translated to GOOD.

Seems there is undeniable proof as per downward trends at EV land, do they care?

I’m sure as to not broach the topic of popularity by some who want change yet they sit idly on the sideline. All the while gripe about that very topic that they do nothing about.

I hope parents can comprehend your words of wisdom!!!
smilie1.gif

This post was edited on 3/9 11:13 PM by topapple

Out of Whack

Last years Othello team was underachievers...dont think so. Best ever win-loss team, league championship, first ever showing in state, and placing in state. All that happened the last four years was that team climbing from previous years of 6-14.

You are right, the coach might not be the right fit for a community..as parents got Boyer out as parents were trying to get Cleveland and Rabb out of East Valley. I mean shoot, even Santos was underfire...that guy was classy. It is hard to please so many people when everyone is a coach.

Re: Out of Whack

Does anyone feel better now that the 3 CWAC representatives have all trophied at state. Could it simply be that the CWAC is a tough place to play girls basketball?

Until the people that are doing the most criticizing are willing to stop coaching from the bleachers, and actually get involved and put their own heads on a platter, the bad-mouthing won't stop.

I agree and coaching AAU select teams do not count. They should try to step in and coach teams that have a mix of talent...not selected talent.

Sonlaren comments

Until the people that are doing the most criticizing are willing to stop coaching from the bleachers, and actually get involved and put their own heads on a platter, the bad-mouthing won't stop.

Scacfan comments

I agree and coaching AAU select teams do not count. They should try to step in and coach teams that have a mix of talent...not selected talent.

Wow! It looks like this is still a hot topic that you started Scacfan. Well, just wondering if either you or sonlaren were directing your comments to anyone in particular, like me? Well, first off, it has nothing to do with bad mouthing, as you so eloquently stated. It has to do with a coaching philosophy, period! If the parents of kids playing now and parents of future kids playing at EV like a slow methodical game, where the coach has to be in total control and not let the kids play with some instinct, so be, its there kids and program. But you need to understand, when the coach was hired, he new damn well the style of basketball we wanted at EV, win or loose. FYI, most parents and players of the past, either understood then or are seeing the light now, but most don’t care. It’s the present and/or future parents and their kids that will determine a need for change in the future of Devil Basketball.

Scacfan, as far as your comment of coaching select teams, hell 95% percent of the parents haven’t ever coached period, let alone select teams, and most haven’t even played the game. Therefore, they wouldn’t have an opinion on a basketball philosophy or how to coach. As far as coaching mixed talent, that’s not the problem, it's what there practicing or not practicing. I’ve notice that a pattern has developed with the kids (including my daughter) once they become seniors, with a few exceptions, they seem to lose their skills or fundaments for the game. In most cases your senior year should be your best. One would have to ask why? I’ll leave you with that thought.
This post was edited on 3/19 8:28 AM by topapple

First off East Valley Basketball is doing just fine. tough district and losing big time players that played significant minutes reulting in less minutes for the younger girls. experience or lack of (like the boys had this year) will cause a drop. As experience is gained I see the team rising again.

I do agree wether it is a select team or school team fundementals has declined with certain coaches. Too much emphesis is placed on set plays rather than develop players. I believe five solid players will succeed over well coached teams. Time to dedicate the off season to skill development and yes I have seen the trend of East Valley girls losing the ability to use imagination in the games seems to be a pattern as more coaches think game time is their time when coaching should be done in practice.

Thank u coug05 (kelli or mr)? just a wild a*s guess, For your insight. I’m glad to see others from the outside can recognize the same things that I have brought up numerous times. As I have stated before, plays don’t make players, players make plays! Therefore, it’s all about the fundamentals.
wink.gif

EV has always had some pretty good athletes that were capable of pushing the tempo both defensively and offensively. The group of kids that they have now, in my opinion, are not that type of kid. This is not because they are not being coached correctly, it's because their DNA didn't zip up in that manner! Each year is like a new hand of poker. If you have a fist full of Aces, do you act like you are just average, do you bet the farm early in the hand and just get what you can, or do you try to make people beleive you are not that good an whoop everyone along the way. Coach Bob Ames (Meridian Football) was a master of this. Every year he would say that they were slow, weak and not very talented and then go 12-0. Sometimes you get dealt and average hand and then you have some work to do. Sometimes you get rags and have to play them the best you can or fold. So where is EV at right now? I don't think they have rags, but they aren't sitting on a pair of bullets either.

The problem with parents is they think their kids are God's gift. Thinking that the sun rises and sets in your kids is great, but some resonable expectations need to be set. West Valley football for the last two years has been REALLY sub-par to where they have traditionaly been. Every football coach in the valley knows that they talent level of the kids has gone down there. Does this mean that they are bad kids...no. Does this mean they are terrible athletes...no. But they do not have the D-1 type kids they have had in the past. East Valley football is one of the best programs ever in the state. Did coach Reifel change who he is and now they are in the bottom half of the league? Coach Elder in basketball...same question. No. Those guys have both said that even though the wins and losses didn't come out in their favor this past season, they still enjoyed their year because the kids had great attitudes, faught to get better every second, and will take away lessons in life.

If an up tempo style is the desired style of the EV community I suggest that there be a foundation to start Moxee Christian School. A recruiting radius of 50 miles can then be established and the coach that the parents choose can then go recruit that style of player. When the team doesn't make it to state in a year, then you can fire that coach and go find another one who will GAURANTEE a state championship. Again if it doesn't happen, fire that one and find another. Pretty soon, there won't be any more coaches. Where will they be you ask? They will be at EV, coaching the kids that they HAVE to coach, not CHOOSE to coach, and they will be squeezing every ounce of talent from that team and saying "Thank God I don't coach at Moxee Christian!"

I believe five solid players will succeed over well coached teams.

Can't you be solid and well-coached at the same time? Seems like they would go hand in hand.

This is such an ignorant question. It is well known that a great coach can turn a program into winners. But...in high school, you can't recruit. College teams become perennial winners because they can recruit players to fit a system. High school coaches can't do this. They are stuck with who they have and have to tailor their system to fit the players. That is why you will see a team do well for a few years then fall off the map. When all conference players get hurt or graduate, it doesn't mean their is an all-conference caliber player waiting to take that spot. I don't believe coaching is the problem here, the kids just aren't as athletic or big and physical as they have been in the past.

If you're suggesting that the good basketball-playing soccer players will translate into a good basketball team then I would say that it's no guarantee.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT